What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install flyled combo light RV3B

I'd like to install the Flyled combo lights in the leading edges of my RV3b using the Duckworks 4" par 36 install kit.
Does anyone have experience with this install? My understanding is the RV3 has a thinner wing profile than other Vans aircraft, so want to be certain I'm not ordering parts and pieces that won't fit. Possibly the RV4 has the same wing profile as the RV3? if so, does anyone have experience with the combo light install in the RV4?
Novice pilots with marginal English skills struggling with position reports and two bird strikes on visiting aircraft suggest installing wig wag lights may be a good idea.
Thanks for any suggestions for the install, or best options to make the little RV3 more visible.

Wing thickness

The wing is thinner on the 3 than the 4. I've wondered if the lighting options could be cut to size and made to fit but don't know. I'm sure the Duckworks kit for the 4 would be a good starting point, but as with all things 3 it's probably a build to suit project.

Duckwork's landing light lens fit well, but their mounting plate didn't fit at all. This was in 2014. Partly because of that, I went to a totally different type of landing light mount.

I wrote about the landing light installation in my VAF blog starting around post #83 or so.

Dave

Thanks David for the heads up regarding the Duckworks landing light install kit. I'll give them a call to see if there have been any changes to their kit since 2014. Its maybe better to do as you did and manufacture my own mounting brackets and possibly lighter than Duckworks. I browsed through some of your build blog and most interesting! My hat is off to the builders and especially builders of an RV3.

Back