What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFB Survey

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
There are so many EFB programs out now that it would be interesting to start a survey as to what the masses are using. Like a table that list the EFBs and you vote by selecting the one you are using.

I might be wrong but I think one of the moderators have to begin this but if not I sure don't know how to make the list up so it counts as people vote the one they use. With the hope that someone will do this:).....

First we need a listing of the EFB apps or devices with integral software that people use to include in the list. I'll start....I am using Foreflight. Those posting a reply please don't repeat EFB names already mentioned.

I am using Avplan, but on an android tablet, so it is not the full setup yet. Where I live and fly out of there is very poor phone reception, so to work properly I need an extarnal GPS to tell the tablet where I am.
Wit IPad the full Avplan is really good.

Keep them coming. I think I figured out how to make up a poll and will attempt to do so when we get more responses.

My wife uses Foreflight on an Ipad, I use the other half of the Foreflight subscription on my Iphone, and Avare on a Nexus 7 tablet.

EFB survey

I have been using Foreflight since it came out and I love it. The flight planning section is great. I also like the ability to superimpose an approach plate on the moving map.

That said, I also have Garmin Pilot. It has improved considerably over the last year or two. I am going to have to switch to Garmin Pilot for compatibility with my all Garmin panel upgrade I am doing now.

I hate to maintain two licenses and subscriptions but I just can't make up my mind yet.

So far in this thread we have listed Foreflight, Avplan, Garmin Pilot, and WingX.
That is 4 And I can post up to 10 in the poll. What are other common EFBs that RVers have been using?

We use Anywhere map freedom though I suspect the number of folks using this product would be significantly less than the options already listed...

Might separate by platform apple vs android
Might add Avare

Can someone tell me what I'm missing by NOT using an EFB?

(I had to look up EFB. It means Electronic Flight Bad, for those who are apparently technology challenged.)

(I had to look up EFB. It means Electronic Flight Bad, for those who are apparently technology challenged.)

Depends on what else you have running in the plane. I primarily use my EFB to display current charts and plates. I suppose it is a capable backup system also. If you have all the sectionals, plates and charts on an EFIS, then you may not be missing much.

Not having to lug around a whole lot of paper Sectionals, IFR low enroute, and IAPs. Plus with an EFB I've got current charts for the whole country, plus, A/FD, AOPA, access to weather and flight planning right at my fingertips on the ground and in flight.

Can I live without it, sure, but I also could live without indoor plumbing too but I really like the convenience. :D

WingX on a first-day-purchase iPad, plus a small handheld gps that I use for text-only (it has a map, too) backup.

The backup gps is made by a different manufacturer, different generation hardware and completely different software, so it's a real backup, except that it also uses gps.

I used to use SkychartsPro but the extra features on WingX and the quicker monthly chart update download time led me to switch.

Dave

We have way too many EFIS and GPS units in our "fleet" to pay to keep them all up to date all of the time - but Foreflight on our iPads is with us every time we fly, and costs $75/year. We update an EFIS or IFR GPS if we are goign to use it to file, or the database has just gotten too out of whack.

Far cheaper to keep the iPads up to date all the time.

OK, so I am over-subscribed!

Foreflight for documents, FlyQ, WingX, and iFly for charts, navigation and flight planning ----- will be dropping Foreflight.

Ifly on Nexus 7

I like the Ifly EFB for it's ease of use and low cost at $69 a year and they keep adding features. Combined with a Nexus 7 I have a great low cost, good gps reception under the glare sheild, great visibility VFR system that will last at least 8 hours on a charge.

I have used Foreflight for years. I personally keep the Pro subscription, which I consider a bargain at $150/yr. I wouldn't consider keeping a second subscription for another EFB. I use foreflight for ALL of my flight planning, filing and in-flight charts/plates/diagrams including ads-b weather from the Stratus. I am thoroughly content with the features and cost and don't feel that it lacks anything that I would use it for. Of course, they will soon come out with a new feature that I will wonder how I lived without. Hearing, "approaching runway 5-23" is sure a nice feature at night at unfamiliar airports. Don't know how I lived without that one.

I really like Foreflight. It's great when you do lot's of cross country flying and flying in busy airspace. Not too mention you can use the Ipad for music, books and other in-flight entertainment. If I lived at an airpark with no CTAF and outside colored lines on the sectional, I am not sure I would ever use it.

Please see EFB Poll Vote Now

Got a list of EFB's together that are most common.

Please vote for which one you use. This should be interesting and a tool for future buyers.

I've also been using ForeFlight since it came out. It's has improved over the years but the competition has also improved. Right now I'm trying to see if I can move over to the Garmin Pilot but I'm just having a hard time getting use to it. I guess I just know where everything is on ForeFlight and I don't find myself searching through menus. I believe this is just one of those subjects that is a personal preference. It's going to be hard to determine a "winner" because it really comes down to what options you are looking for and what it really more important to you. But if we voting, then I guess my vote has to go out to ForeFlight for now.

Been using wing X on I pad for over two years. Great to always have current
charts for whole USA only a touch away.

Doug McMullin
N262DM RV 6
2015 dues paid

I took advantage of the BF sale as well and went with the FlyQ efb.
1. Love the Right handed pattern depicted by orange arrows on the map/chart/sectional.
2. love the wind speeds in numbers and the directional arrow
3. runway extensions are boxed and very easy to read.
4. Traffic depicted with easy to read numbers
Seattle Avionics backing the software was another deciding factor in my purchase.

Have used my friend's Foreflight on his IPad a few times...LOVED IT! But not the IPad.

So I purchased the Garmin Pilot for my Android phone with the intention of purchasing a Galaxy Pad...LOVED IT! But...

Seattle Avionics came up with their limited offer of a lifetime subscription for FlyQ IFR/VFR charts, etc...LOVE IT! But I had to buy an IPad Mini which I do not like.

That said, my 128gb IPad has every VFR & IFR chart in the country loaded in it. The more I use FlyQ, the more I like it.

If Seattle Avionics ever sets up FlyQ for Android, though, I'm on it.

WingX
1. It gets wireless ADSB info from a variety of boxes, all of which also work with my GRT panel. Foreflight only works with the Stratus ADSB box which, to the best of my knowledge, won't work with any common EFIS units. Garmin panels pretty much only work with Garmin stuff, so if I had a Garmin panel I'd probably have the Garmin pilot app.
2. I tried Foreflight and Garmin some time ago, liked WingX best.
3. Did I mention that, as a CFI, wingX (including geo-referenced charts), is free?
Edit:
4. WingX uses more data compression than Foreflight, so it runs easily (with the whole US database loaded) on a 16 GB iPad, with room to spare. Don't know about Garmin.

Last edited:
Foreflight Pro

I like Foreflight Pro, currently on the iPad Air2. Great performance but it won't talk to my GNS430W.

Back