What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank drain - sealant or not?

DaX

Well Known Member
I'm about to leak test my first tank.

Should I use:

a) ProSeal
b) Teflon Tape
c) Nothing at all
d) Other

to install the drain fitting? It is NPT, correct? I'm betting that the Teflon tape is a bad idea...

Fuel Lube

You will be taking them in and out quite a bit to drain tanks for sensor calibration and other fuel system checks. Threads are self sealing so you just need to lubricate them.

Nothing permenant

You will probably be OK with nothing for the test. If anything I would use a dab of FUEL Lube. Proseal wold make it difficult for removal later, and that will happen some time in its life.
While testing you may have an issue with the cap leaking. My solution was to get a pipe plug from the plumbing department.(Home Depot) The kind that resembles a thermos bottle plug.
Good luck with the test.

Randy Hooper

Do not let teflon tape get anywhere near your fuel system. All it takes is one small piece to tear off and it will clog something important.

On all my plumbing fittings, I use a small dab of Form-a-gasket on the threads. It lubricates then seals. Once it hardens, it will break off when you turn the fitting.

Thanks guys. I picked up some EZ Turn at Spruce yesterday when I was getting all my stuff together for the leak test - I knew I'd be using it on the fuel cap.

Randy - If I can't get the cap to seal, I know exactly what you're talking about and will get that.

n12804481_34639468_4805.jpg

Back