What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Trim Actuator

slscott715

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'm reworking the electrical system on a previously flying -4 and was wondering what the current draw of the electric trim actuator is under load. It was originally placed on the same breaker as the flap motor but I'm putting it on its own circuit and want to be sure I'm using the correct wire size/circuit breaker.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hello in Yadkinville..

Your close by, I'm in Advance at 8A7..they don't draw much, I think I have mine on a 2 amp breaker. I have electric aileron and elevator trim. I used a 9V transistor battery to do all my ops checks. I have all the MAC paperwork in my hangar if you need to see any of it. Id like to hear more about what you are working on! 2 RV-4's at 8A7 and another at 6NC8.

Your close by, I'm in Advance at 8A7..they don't draw much, I think I have mine on a 2 amp breaker. I have electric aileron and elevator trim. I used a 9V transistor battery to do all my ops checks. I have all the MAC paperwork in my hangar if you need to see any of it. Id like to hear more about what you are working on! 2 RV-4's at 8A7 and another at 6NC8.

Thanks Bill. A friend of mine bought a beautiful RV-4 out of NY last fall and we've been working on it. It sat for many years due to the previous owner losing his medical but being unable to part with the airplane. I've built a new instrument panel, installed some updated avionics, ADS-B and I'm currently cleaning up all of the electrical installation. We're working on it in my hangar at Jim Speer's field in Boonville if you'd like to drop in one weekend. We're almost 1 mile south of 26NC. Glad to hear there's more -4s in the area. Thanks again!

Sam Scott
Boonville, NC

the draw of the servo is not the important thing. the rating of the wiring is. check the chart for the size wiring that is run, and size the breaker to protect the wire.

from the chart 24 gauge on a 10 foot run with 14v is good for 1.5 amps. a 9 foot run is good for 2 amps.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back