What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Upgrade Installers??

Prepperpilot

Well Known Member
Ok. Need advice. Not the original builder of my RV8. And I am not knowledgable to do work myself. Will probably screw it up if I tried. So I need some guidance from you guys that have been here before.

So I know Covid madness is pervasive about everywhere. And I am more than willing to pony up 25-30 grand for proper install. But finding people actually willing to do the work is becoming challenging. Have quotes out with 4 Dynon Installers. Been over a month. Nothing. Response is usually they are too busy to even to put together a quote. Geez. Please take my money!! Kinda crazy. Also trying to find a good shop within 300 miles of Columbus Ohio.

Anyway. Sorry for being an impatient whiner. But I am than willing to buy once cry once. I know lead times are at least a year wherever I end up. But would like to at least get on someones work list.
If you guys know anyone on east coast that will take the business. Please pass along. Thanks guys
Chris

Oh, and this is the panel I have. Meh!! Not impressive

Attachments

• large_image_1641495_2_1614262469.jpg
    large_image_1641495_2_1614262469.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 149
Find a builder who did his own panel (brand and such that you like) but is now flying. He may be looking for another project.

I did a couple like this before starting the RV-8 project, and suspect I'll do more after the RV-10 is flying.

Carl

The various component vendors have downloadable installation manuals. Most are very detailed. Since avionics is different from airframe construction, if you looked into it, you'd probably find that the learning curve is similar to what any builder would face. Like any builder, you'd need to acquire the appropriate tools.

Worth considering....

Dave

Avionics upgrade

Have you talked to SteinAir? They are building my harness now.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

When my old Advanced Flight 4500 EFIS died, I elected the supposedly simple task of replacing it with their AFS 5400. It fit the cutout nicely, but that refit project was FAR from Plug and Play., It convinced me that replacing an older panel with new instruments, especially modern glass, would be a nightmare and well beyond my skill. People say "just go to your local EAA chapter, or find someone locally with those skills". That might be true in some parts of the country, but not around here.

Boy, if it was me and I was contemplating a whole new panel, I'd be talking to Rob Hickman at Advanced Flight about an Advanced Panel. Let them design the panel and build it with their Advanced Control Module, using the Dynon stuff you want, and connecting them all now or incrementally. NOW we're talking plug and play.

This Advanced Panel concept is worth looking into. You can start at https://www.advancedflightsystems.com/advanced-panels.php , and lots of stuff on Youtube.

Garmin?

9D8A0ABF-3F5B-4B8C-A372-CDCFA5B0BF08.jpeg
I do Garmin installs in TX if you have any interest going that route.
(no “recycled” equipment thought)
the above pic is just one example of the many 8’s I’ve done

Last edited:
Dynon has no stock and unable to manufacture displays for the time being....[/url]

Their vendors might have some EFISs, though, until they run out. I found mine with one. Dynon does have most if not all the other components available, according to the rep I talked with this last week.

Dave

Chris, check your PM

Ok. Need advice. Not the original builder of my RV8. And I am not knowledgable to do work myself. Will probably screw it up if I tried. So I need some guidance from you guys that have been here before.

So I know Covid madness is pervasive about everywhere. And I am more than willing to pony up 25-30 grand for proper install. But finding people actually willing to do the work is becoming challenging. Have quotes out with 4 Dynon Installers. Been over a month. Nothing. Response is usually they are too busy to even to put together a quote. Geez. Please take my money!! Kinda crazy. Also trying to find a good shop within 300 miles of Columbus Ohio.

Anyway. Sorry for being an impatient whiner. But I am than willing to buy once cry once. I know lead times are at least a year wherever I end up. But would like to at least get on someones work list.
If you guys know anyone on east coast that will take the business. Please pass along. Thanks guys
Chris

Chris,

Check your PM.

Brian

A couple for you to check:

I purchased Garmin from Lafayette Avionics in Lafayette, IN. They do installs.

A lot of guys from SW Michigan use Premier Avionics in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Jim Butcher

Avionics install

Check out So Cal Avionics. This kid is amazing, he’s your one stop guy, does his own powder coating and etching also. His just finished 2 RV14As , one Garmin G3 X, and a Dynon HDX, also my recently completed RV8 with all GARMIN. Check out his FB page. He’s the whole package. Located in Ramona,Cal.

Ok.
Chris

Have you tried Saint Aviation ( X35 ) ?

The owner , Jessie , is very familiar with RV's..

Try Midwest Avionics in Lees Summit Missouri. Owner Levi Self teaches a course on Experimental Avionics Installs and his company does a fantastic job.

Midwest Avionics
620-719-0673

Locally, there aren’t a whole lot of options.

Spirit will cost a premium, but they are the local Garmin dealer.

The other option may be TRM In Chillicothe. I don’t know their relationship with Garmin.

You may want to reach out to Bob Banasik, who manages the Sunday breakfast mailing list. He just had his Cardinal upgraded to Dynon gear by somebody in Indiana. I don’t remember their name. He said he was happy with their install.

Find a builder who did his own panel (brand and such that you like) but is now flying. He may be looking for another project.

I did a couple like this before starting the RV-8 project, and suspect I'll do more after the RV-10 is flying.

Carl

I did custom panels and complete avionics / electrical work on my 6 and my 10 (G3X). I am now retired and would consider a project like this. Chicago based. PM me if interested.

Larry

Back