What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke System Help

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
A buddy of mine installed a smoke system in his RV-3. He is getting smoke in the cockpit when he turns it on. He thought it was through the flaps… but after sealing it up with tape, it still happened.

Any advice that I can pass along for him of things to look forward to sealing up

Thx.

Don't turn On the smoke :D

The most likely is the flap area which you covered, That's strange cuz there aren't very many openings it can enter through. Have him check the cabin heat vent although I can't see how or why it would enter there if open a bit. Sometimes they don't seal very good.

Smoke

You would be suprised where it can come in...tail even.
If you have a fresh air vent open it and the slight increase in cabin pressure will help keep the smoke out.

Cm

Yup

I've only installed a few smoke systems and none of those recently, but all of them had smoke in the cockpit. Not sure you can stop it completely. But yeah, opening the cabin vents should help. Side note, it's always interesting to watch the smoke system work on the ground with the cowl off. Smoke comes out of all the slip joints and ball joints, even downstream of wherever the oil is injected. Shows us there's a lot of back and forth flow in even a free-flowing, healthy exhaust system.

I will have to do that next time i have my cowl off! That will be interesting to see.

He has taped up all the holes and it’s still coming in.

The one thing I/he didn’t think about was the carb heat. All exterior holes are filled and he said that it’s IFR in 20 seconds.

Thanks guys.

My experience (RV-4)/ tail bulkhead

I put 2 injectors on my -4, and never get smoke in the cockpit, however, I did once when I left my baggage compartment removed..I was doing a "test' because I was getting smoke oil residue inside my aft fuselage. The airflow past the rear fuselage bulkhead has a negative pressure area and draws smoke/oil mist into the small openings back there. With baggage components (mine are pretty tightly sealed) in place, no smoke, but I still see some oil residue after a bit of chain smoking.

Smoke with almost a 14 mod??

Anyone with smoke system that mounts behind the seats in the side-by side airplanes know if you still have room for the "almost a 14" seat back mod? Id like both in my 7 but haven't heard if the mod which gives more room for taller pilots still allows room for the tank.

Anyone with smoke system that mounts behind the seats in the side-by side airplanes know if you still have room for the "almost a 14" seat back mod? Id like both in my 7 but haven't heard if the mod which gives more room for taller pilots still allows room for the tank.

I have a Smoke System Helper in my -9A with the AA14 mod. Their wedge tanks fits perfectly, no problems. With the AA14, you'd have room for the larger tank too.

https://www.smoke-system-helper.com/complete-kits/4-25-Gallon-RV-6-7-9-Hidden-p105223625

n

Attachments

• 164A4399-F9FC-494F-926F-067C0AD93157.jpeg
    164A4399-F9FC-494F-926F-067C0AD93157.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 93
Back