What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some approaches vanished from Garmin

CopterJohn

RV Folks,
We aware that GPS approaches to several smaller airports have been dropped by Garmin from the Jepp IFR database. So while you may have a valid paper or electronic chart, the approach will NOT be in a Garmin IFR approved unit.
These include some popular airports like Osage Beach, MO. Waseca, MN, Wisconsin Dells, etc. Several 3 characted ID airports also affected. Here is a list of dropped approaches.
Copter John

35A, RNAV 05
35A, RNAV 23
3MY, RNAV 18
42A, RNAV 03
4D0, RNAV 09
4J5, RNAV 10
4J5, RNAV 28
7G8, RNAV 11
7G8, RNAV 29
8A3, RNAV 03
9G3, RNAV 07
9G3, RNAV 25
D95, RNAV 18
D95, RNAV 36
I68, RNAV 19
K15, RNAV 14
K15, RNAV 32 KACQ, RNAV 33
KAHH, RNAV 18
KBUU, RNAV 11
KBUU, RNAV 29
KCDI, RNAV 22
KCIR, RNAV 14
KDLL, RNAV 19
KGTG, RNAV 30
KHEZ, RNAV 18
KHEZ, RNAV 31
KHEZ, RNAV 36
KHTL, RNAV 09
KHTL, RNAV 27
KIOB, RNAV 03
KJVW, RNAV 30
KMMK, RNAV 36
KMMS, RNAV 20
KMNM, RNAV 32
KMXA, RNAV 18
KOJA, RNAV 35
KOMN, RNAV 26
KOQW, RNAV 15
KTEW, RNAV 10
KTEW, RNAV 28
KWAL, RNAV 10
MO3, RNAV 19
PACX, RNAV 01
PAHO, RNAV 04-Y
W96, RNAV 11
W96, RNAV 29

Garmin deemed them non WGS84 compliant. FAA regional offices here looking into the lack of notice to airmen.

I believe those are the ones that were coded in the database with the 0 degree glidepath angle.. Garmin can't handle that so they dropped those..

Is this for WAAS only?

I just fired up my non-waas G 430.
35A, RNAV 05
35A, RNAV 23
Both appear, both are selectable, both appear on map after selecting them.
I have the current Jepp data card in the 430.

What gives?

Yes it affects WAAS units only.. because this happened when they introduced LP minimums at certain airports (such as 35A).. You can't do LP minimums with a non-WAAS unit..

For anyone following this thread, Garmin reported back to us that this is a software issue across the WAAS platform that will require updates to certified units. They do not expect code revisions until summer of 2014.

Garmin 400W/500W Software Upgrade 5.10

Garmin announces software upgrade version 5.10 on Feb 6. Two of the changes addresses RNAV w/LP mins. This software upgrade should allow RNAV LP that don't have a Vertical Descent Angle (VDA) charted to be included in the nav database again. This issue has affected about a hundred RNAV approaches, so far.

There are a multiple of other changes with this software upgrade.
See Garmin support/ service alerts/ aviation service alerts
http://garmin.blogs.com/files/1403a_adsn-1.pdf

Anyone know if there is a fix for this issue yet?
I have a Garmin GTN 650 which lacks these approaches.

Garmin announces software upgrade version 5.10 on Feb 6. Two of the changes addresses RNAV w/LP mins. This software upgrade should allow RNAV LP that don't have a Vertical Descent Angle (VDA) charted to be included in the nav database again. This issue has affected about a hundred RNAV approaches, so far.

There are a multiple of other changes with this software upgrade.
See Garmin support/ service alerts/ aviation service alerts
http://garmin.blogs.com/files/1403a_adsn-1.pdf

For anyone with a 430W who might be interested, I upgraded the firmware on my 430W today to the version noted above. I can confirm the approaches listed by the OP are now present and selectable with this latest firmware upgrade.

Latest Garmin database update (18 SEP14) left out all 3 approaches at KHAO - ILS29, AND 2 GPS approaches. I called Garmin the next day and he was going to report it, but bottom line, if you are headed to HAO IFR, get yourself hard copies somewhere. This is for the the Garmin Pilot App, not navigator updates.

Aww bugger. This doesn't help my constant debate between GP and Foreflight. Especially with the recent issues people have been reporting with the new v4 updates to the app.

Back