What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthiness inspection -rudder cables

rvdave

Well Known Member
Just received my airworthiness inspection today. It was the luck of the draw from our local fsdo that gave me a more thorough look than I was expecting. A few minor things to change but one that almost brought the inspection to a halt took a phone call to Vans to clear up. Referencing his certified experience with a Beech Debonair (I believe) cable chafing and getting stuck, he had a hard time with the rudder cables at F1007 bulkhead rubbing against the snap bushing.

He let it go after seeing the plans and specifying a check at condition inspections although he doesn?t agree with Vans. His logic seems valid of ss rubbing on plastic and surely the bushing would wear a groove, has there been any concerns with this? Not with Vans I found out today and they seem aware of rubbing with no problems with thousands of a/c out there.

I?ve got to think mine are no different than any others since bushing holes are predetermined, anyone see a concern for beefing that up or inserting a smaller bushing inside the original ?

Vans rudder cables go slack when you take your foot off the pedal----wonder if the Debonair is the same?

They don't...

There was an issue with control cables on Bonanzas fraying.. but there they don't slacken up... and there are pulleys involved. etc.. different design..

Flying since 1993. Inspect rudder cables/snap bushings annually. No notable wear so far.

Rudder cables on RV7A

On a similar note, a few years ago during my FSDO Inspection, the two FSDO inspectors were concerned that the rudder cables could slip up and over the rudder stops (built per plans) and become jammed. They would not sign off. They returned a month later (and apparently after some consultation) and signed the pink slip. However, I did add a doubler plate to the top of the rudder stops to satisfy their concerns.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

OK for our planes

My FSDO inspector was training another when they did my -6A.

He pointed out to his trainee that slack rudder cables are a particular feature of the RV planes and not a concern for airworthiness. :)

Last edited:
Just received my airworthiness inspection today. It was the luck of the draw from our local fsdo that gave me a more thorough look than I was expecting. A few minor things to change but one that almost brought the inspection to a halt took a phone call to Vans to clear up. Referencing his certified experience with a Beech Debonair (I believe) cable chafing and getting stuck, he had a hard time with the rudder cables at F1007 bulkhead rubbing against the snap bushing.

He let it go after seeing the plans and specifying a check at condition inspections although he doesn?t agree with Vans. His logic seems valid of ss rubbing on plastic and surely the bushing would wear a groove, has there been any concerns with this? Not with Vans I found out today and they seem aware of rubbing with no problems with thousands of a/c out there.

I?ve got to think mine are no different than any others since bushing holes are predetermined, anyone see a concern for beefing that up or inserting a smaller bushing inside the original ?

The next smaller bushing can be split with a razer to expand enough to place over the cable and snap into the existing bushing.

Hu...and most people have an issue with no wet compass. But Sir, I DO have a magnet direction indicator, see.

I had a similar issue on a couple other items with the FSDO rep performing my inspection. He came right out and said this is not right. I think the fact that I turned to the page of the plans almost immediately and stated it was built to plans, kind of took him by surprised. It set the tone for the rest of the afternoon (positively). Once he saw the plans and validated that I built it to plans, he was satisfied.

Back