What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider modification - new wheels

Zuldarin

Well Known Member
Greetings all, I recently completed a modification to my slider that I am pretty happy with. I thought I would share it with the rest of you just in case you need something to do this weekend.

I went into a little more detail on my blog but the gist of the subject is that I replaced the plastic wheels that came in the kit with new wheels that have real bearings in them. Now my slider moves back and forth with very little effort and best of all I no longer have a rattle at idle as the plastic wheels jiggle on the attach bolt.

2017-08-22%2B10.19.36.jpg

Looks good Darin!

Tell me more about the hinge on your baggage bulkhead. :cool:

Well, that is a work in progress. I hinged the upper door and used quarter turns in place of screws so that I could get easy access to the tail cone for two reasons. First, I have my ELT back there and I wanted to make sure I had easy access to it in an emergency. Second, I am hanging a couple of loops of nylon strapping so I can carry long items (aka golf driver). My golf clubs don't fit in the baggage area due to length of the woods. By hanging a couple of loops of nylon strapping from the bulkhead and support ribs I can now "hang" the longer clubs with the head forward behind the baggage door.

slider metal roller bearing

Darin, so you purchased a set, one for each rail side of R4-2SRS-R4-ZZ with 1/4 bore. was there other bearing modifications you needed to perform?? I have never been happy with the performance and if you discovered the correct size to replace the Vans fiber rollers that would be amazing.. Thanks, Mark C. RV9A 85 hours

Mark, The bearings I purchased fit inside the wheels I purchased. I did have to put the wheels on a lathe and turn them down about a 1/16" of an inch to make them the same outside diameter as the Van's wheels. The Van's wheels could be used I suppose but you would have to drill the center hole out to the proper diameter to allow the bearings to fit. I didn't do that but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Well, that is a work in progress. I hinged the upper door and used quarter turns in place of screws so that I could get easy access to the tail cone for two reasons. First, I have my ELT back there and I wanted to make sure I had easy access to it in an emergency. Second, I am hanging a couple of loops of nylon strapping so I can carry long items (aka golf driver). My golf clubs don't fit in the baggage area due to length of the woods. By hanging a couple of loops of nylon strapping from the bulkhead and support ribs I can now "hang" the longer clubs with the head forward behind the baggage door.
It's been pointed out before that the baggage panel is a structural component, and one shouldn't fly the airplane without it installed. I would guess that the bottom panel provides a lot of stiffness on its own, but leaving the top open still compromises what would otherwise be a rigid panel from the floor to the turtledeck. I've seen others who have done mods in this area to allow fishing rods, etc. but they have just been a (small) door in the panel, not the entire top portion.

Rob, have a closer look at mine one day. The whole top panel is on a hinge and 1/2 turn fasteners around the top. It opens up to an enclosed area extending back to the next bulkhead. Easy access to the ELT, and room to put things out of sight when at a fly-in or fly-camping etc. No picture handy.

Bevan.

It's been pointed out before that the baggage panel is a structural component, and one shouldn't fly the airplane without it installed. I would guess that the bottom panel provides a lot of stiffness on its own, but leaving the top open still compromises what would otherwise be a rigid panel from the floor to the turtledeck. I've seen others who have done mods in this area to allow fishing rods, etc. but they have just been a (small) door in the panel, not the entire top portion.

If you look closely you will see that the upper door is fastened with quarter turn fasteners instead of screws. It is not left open while in flight. No structural integrity lost.

If you look closely you will see that the upper door is fastened with quarter turn fasteners instead of screws. It is not left open while in flight. No structural integrity lost.
Then I have to ask. If they are not left open while in flight how are the long driver shafts protruding through the bulkhead when you transport them? Or, are you placing the entire driver behind the bulkhead and then closing and securing the hinged bulkhead?

A little confused here.

Then I have to ask. If they are not left open while in flight how are the long driver shafts protruding through the bulkhead when you transport them? Or, are you placing the entire driver behind the bulkhead and then closing and securing the hinged bulkhead?

A little confused here.

The golf clubs will go completely behind the baggage wall with the heads forward. The plan is to hang two loops of Velcro (one forward and one aft) from the F-787 support rib on the upper side of the tailcone. That way I can capture the longer clubs in a way that prevents any interference with the elevator control pushrods. With the forward loop pulled tight the clubs can't move around and will be secured immediately behind the upper bulkhead door. I haven't used this mod yet so I can't tell you how well it works but its very simple and there is no structural integrity lost as long as the upper door is fastened shut in flight.

Ah, that makes sense. I saw the fasteners, but it wasn't clear that the clubs would go entirely behind the panel... I thought it would have to remain open if clubs were carried.

As long as the CG can be maintained, should be no issues then.

Back