What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting My RV8 EMP Kit

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
I purchased a new untouched RV8 EMP kit that was kitted in 2014. I've got all the tools ready, parts inventoried, shop laid out, etc.

Looking for recommendations on the following:

• Best place for the "Plan Gothcas"
  • Awesome build logs with pictures to help when I get stuck
  • Any rivet identification, dies <---> rivets <---> drill sizes, etc cheat sheets

Any recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Yep. Here's one and two:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/sb-14-01-31/

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/sb-14-02-05/

Make sure both of these are incorporated. Also, Even if they are already incorporated in your kit, print out and study them. And, compare the service bulletins to the plans and make sure you understand them before doing anything.

It took me a lot of slow progress on these due to the head scratching involved. From what I've heard, I'm not the only one.

I purchased a new untouched RV8 EMP kit that was kitted in 2014. I've got all the tools ready, parts inventoried, shop laid out, etc.

Looking for recommendations on the following:

• Best place for the plan "Gothcas"
  • Awesome build logs with pictures to help when I get stuck
  • Any rivet identification, dies <---> rivets <---> drill sizes, etc cheat sheets

Any recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,

If you have limited building experience, it is easy to mess up the trim tab. Good luck

...[*]Any rivet identification, dies <---> rivets <---> drill sizes, etc cheat sheets...

-Buy a #1-60 drill bit guage. This is one of my most used tools.

1. Not sure if that's a #30 or a #31 drill bit?
2. How much do I need to up-size a hole to substitute a CherryMax rivet?
3. I forgot which drill bit to use to final size that hole for an AN509.

- Buy "chuck-able" reamers for #30 #40 and #12. These will give you nicer holes when "final-drilling" pre-punched pieces.

Drill Bit Guage

#30 Reamer

You might consider starting with something slightly easier than the horizontal stabilizer. I started with the rudder based on advise I got. The plans are written to have you start with the HS but if you read them and study them thoroughly ahead of time you can easily start with the rudder or even VS if you want.

Incorporating the SB for the front spar of the HS is a bit tricky and like someone mentioned there are a few holes that are right on the edge of what you can safely get away with. To me, had I started with this assembly I think my frustration and cuss word factor would have been a lot higher.

Based on your other post it sounds like your kit does not have the SB's incorporated into it already so take your time and ask questions.

Tool wise, I would agree the reamers and drill bit gauge are good things to have. You will also need a small torque wrench capable of being set to inch pounds as well as a needle type torque wrench to measure the torque drag on the nuts that attach the elevator hinge.

There are instructions written on the construction drawings as well as the plans themselves. Make sure you highlight any build instructions that are on the drawings. Easy to miss those and have to redo a section.

I'm finishing the HS now. My build log below may be of help to you.

Last edited:
Feel free to check out my build log, never know it may answer a question you have or shed light on something. Also I’m in the fabricate riblet camp for the trim tab.

Incorporating stabilizer service bulletin in new builds?

Is the consensus then that the SB 14-01-31 "repair" should be incorporated into new builds?

Yep. Here's one and two:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/sb-14-01-31/

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/sb-14-02-05/

Make sure both of these are incorporated. Also, Even if they are already incorporated in your kit, print out and study them. And, compare the service bulletins to the plans and make sure you understand them before doing anything.

It took me a lot of slow progress on these due to the head scratching involved. From what I've heard, I'm not the only one.

The SB says it can be installed as preventative maintenance. The details were in the HS drawing (DWG 3) revised in 2014 that came with my kit delivered in 2019.
Mike

Last edited:
On my RV-3B, I started with the horizontal stabilizer and ruined it with poor riveting. Like Mike, I recommend starting with something smaller and cheaper just in case.

Dave

It will be hard to dimple the leading edge rivet holes on the center rib of each side on the big skins. Be careful about bending the skin and trying to dimple. I used a rivet gun with the make die and the low profile female die attached to a tungsten bar and that made it super crisp and the skin did not deform.

New hinges on HS

Vans has very recently replaced the outboard hinges on the HS. The returns from the hinge to the rear spar are longer and the rivets get more space between them. There have been 2 aircraft where the rear spar got cracked at these hinges as I was told. You might order the new parts from Vans before you build it. Builder support can help you with the part numbers or you can type in “7 horizontal” into the web store search and find the hinges on the parts list. You can see the change if you look at the plans once logged into the Vans website. I know this because I recently tried to order the hinges and they are obsoleted in the system.

Vans has very recently replaced the outboard hinges on the HS. The returns from the hinge to the rear spar are longer and the rivets get more space between them. There have been 2 aircraft where the rear spar got cracked at these hinges as I was told. You might order the new parts from Vans before you build it. Builder support can help you with the part numbers or you can type in “7 horizontal” into the web store search and find the hinges on the parts list. You can see the change if you look at the plans once logged into the Vans website. I know this because I recently tried to order the hinges and they are obsoleted in the system.

We will be posting a service bulletin regarding this revision/change by the end of this week. The outboard brackets have been revised and the inspection instructions for already-flying aircraft will be included in the service document.

I have more documentation on building my RV-8 than one brain can handle, including my own. Heading toward 90 flight hours now. See the links in my signature below; also check out my YouTube channel.

Back