What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Fuselage order options

bsbarnes10

Hi All,
I'm making good progress on the Empennage kit so I'm about to order my fuselage kit. Are there any options I should consider ordering with the kit? For example, with the Empennage I also ordered the tail fairings kit and with the Wing kit I'll be ordering the optional lights.

Are there any options that should be considered / ordered with the fuselage?

Thanks!

oooh.. yes. We'll definitely be including the AoA sensor, thanks for reminding me. It's on the list now...

-Bruce

You’ll need to decide if you will be using a 912 ULS or 912 iS engine when you order the fuselage. The fuel system components are slightly different depending on which engine you’ll be using.

Have you ordered your wing kit yet? There are a few wing kit parts you will need to have on hand when you build the fuselage (stub spar components and rear spar doublers, if I remember correctly). Van’s can tell you exactly what to order if you build the fuselage before the wing.

Check with Van’s to be sure, but I believe the components you’ll need for the AOA system are now included with the wing kit. They are shown in Section 16iS/U in the plans and are not listed as a wing option on the order form.

Last edited:
That's right! I do remember reading some posts about that, some fitting is required if I recall correctly. Thanks for the reminder, I just shot off an email to Vans. (And yes, we'll be using the iS engine, I've been a fuel injection guy since my very first air cooled VW with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection made a believer of me)

-Bruce

Yes, the AOA is now standard.

I went with the dual-landing light option for the wings.. If you're doing night flying, do you need it? No. But for the $350, I did it because it would be pain to retrofit down the road.

For the fuselage kit, there's not too many extras to decide on other than the engine. I chose the 912iS engine because of the efficiency and not wanting to be part of the "Carb Float Sinkers Club" :)

As for the Finish kit, there's a lot of options. Canopy trim, glareshield, even wheel fairings are easily done afterwards.

Are you going to have AutoPilot? The servos would be easier to install during build than adding later. Also are you building the fuel tank or would you want Van's to play with the Proseal?

Yes I suppose the FIRST thing I should have done was go look at the order form! Anyway, I placed the order today and opted for the prefab fuel tank. I could have gone either way by my co-builder (my Dad) had a strong preference to AVOID pro seal as much as possible so for $300 (apiece) it seems like a good choice!

Bruce

Back