What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have a catto prop that only turns 2625 rpm’s
On a 0360
I believe that the prop is over pitched can this make your engine run hot?
Thanks
Danny carley

I'm not an engine or prop expert but it seems to me that a higher pitch would create greater loads on the engine which would then in turn generate more heat. Rejecting the heat, now that's something entirely different.

I might be talking out of a hole in my butt but from my mechanical background...yes absolutely...engine turns slower but under more load as said above just like running a vehicle up a hill in top gear. I was looking at a catto...is it a cruise pitch prop?

Why I own ground adjustable prop. My opinion is 75 more rpm won’t make much if any difference in anything but what the tach reads.

On over pitched prop will increase load and reduce RPM. In an internal combustion engine, higher RPMs create more heat and increased load creates more heat. Not a combustion engineer, so can't tell you the ratios for each, but expect they are in the same ballpark (If I had to guess I would guess that increased load creates more heat than increased RPM). Therefore, an over pitched prop should have a similar engine heat output as an under pitched prop (lower load and higher RPM).

Larry

Last edited:
Back