What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slow Seattle Av/Dynon 30Dec Charts update?

flytoday

Well Known Member
12/31/2020

—————————
UPDATE FROM S A support a few posts down....
—————————

Anyone else have delayed Seattle Avionics release of the updated “paid” Dynon charts needed yesterday (30Dec2020)?

Don’t know if it’s just me, or a holiday delay, but the Sea Av DataManager wouldn’t load updated files on my PC, to transfer to USB flash sticks on the 29th, day before the prior (Nov) files expired.

Mid-day on the 30th, after my -7A complained about Expired Maps & Charts, an email arrived from Sea Av, and I was able to get the updated files, and this morning successfully refreshed the -7A.

Anyone else have delayed charts/maps update this week???

Carl

Last edited:
12/31/2020

Anyone else have delayed Seattle Avionics release of the updated “paid” Dynon charts needed yesterday (30Dec2020)?

Don’t know if it’s just me, or a holiday delay, but the Sea Av DataManager wouldn’t load updated files on my PC, to transfer to USB flash sticks on the 29th, day before the prior (Nov) files expired.

Mid-day on the 30th, after my -7A complained about Expired Maps & Charts, an email arrived from Sea Av, and I was able to get the updated files, and this morning successfully refreshed the -7A.

Anyone else have delayed charts/maps update this week???

Carl

Yes, they were released around mid-day yesterday. The end of effectivity on the previous cycle was 2020-12-31 at 0900Z, so while later than usual, they did in fact get it released prior to the previous data becoming expired.

Unfortunately, that seems to have become standard operating procedure for the SA bunch.

UPDATE EMAIL from Seattle Avionics support:

UPDATE EMAIL from Seattle Avionics support:

We apologize for the delay in the release of the data this go around. The FAA charts, particularly the LO/Hi charts had some issues with them that our system didn't recognize. We had to work with data and the software to be able to read it. We don't expect this to happen in the future as this was a minor glitch in the data we had this round. Again this was, hopefully a one time issue that we don't expect to have to deal with in the future.

Carl

Unfortunately, that seems to have become standard operating procedure for the SA bunch.

I don't find this statement to be accurate. I have been using Seattle Avionics data on my Dynon EFIS for about seven years and my experience is that they have always provided a very good service.

+1 on good service

SA has continually improved, over the years and keeps coming up with new capabilities for their EFB products. Most of the time they are way ahead of WingX and iFly as far as getting the updates out. I use their charts in my AFS 5600T and their EFB on my iPad.

Ron

Guess I'm just becoming an old curmudgeon, then.

I hear they have decent service for their other product lines, and I'll admit that they have made some progress on the Skyview charts, but I'm still less than satisfied with the delivery software.

Guess I'm just becoming an old curmudgeon, then.

I hear they have decent service for their other product lines, and I'll admit that they have made some progress on the Skyview charts, but I'm still less than satisfied with the delivery software.

I'll preface this by saying that the price is right, but their windows data loader software is awful. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for.

Back