What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky Radar

Bwing96

For those that have the iFly and Sky Radar, where did you mount them?
Soon I will have my new to me RV-6/slider and think finding a place for the iFly 720 won't be much of a problem but my sky radar is the older S-2 model which looks just like the D-2 but has only 1 long antennae.

Can you mount the skyradar behind the seat and it still work as good as it does laying on the glare shield?

I mounted my Skyradar receiver on the right side wall just behind the right seat. Works fine. RV-6 slider.

I don't have the Sky Radar but for the iFly mounting, I initially used RAM mount on side rail that I had previously used for holding my iPhone:

iPhoneMount(small)-2.jpg

then I removed the Lowrance 2000C GPS I had installed in the panel and mounted the iFly in it's place (before the iFly upgrade that allowed portrait mode display):

InstalledPowered(small).JPG

And current configuration:

PortraitMode.JPG

Complete description of panel change from Lowrance to iFly is at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg7.htm

I mounted my Skyradar receiver on the right side wall just behind the right seat. Works fine. RV-6 slider.

Not familiar with the RV-6 so when you say behind the right seat, is that behind the bulkhead? I'm considering the Skyradar unit and that would be great if I could mount it behind the rear seat in my -8, and still get a good signal.

Skyradar

I think what he is saying is the skradar is mounted to the side wall of the luggage compartment which is behind the seats. I plan on mounting mine in the luggage compartment as soon as I get my plane.

Sharing the output?

Soon, very soon I hope, I will have my -6 back in the air. I will have a new HXr and an iFly 720. Is it possible to share the output of the sky radar between the two units?

Btw if you ever go with the Airgizmo panel mount for the iFly you will need a 90 degree USB adapter if you want to use the USB port.

I put mine on an external antenna and hardwired the power. If you do that you can remotely mount it pretty much anywhere.

Soon, very soon I hope, I will have my -6 back in the air. I will have a new HXr and an iFly 720. Is it possible to share the output of the sky radar between the two units?

Btw if you ever go with the Airgizmo panel mount for the iFly you will need a 90 degree USB adapter if you want to use the USB port.

You use the USB output from the Skyradar to the HXr and Wifi from the Skyradar to the iFly 720. You also can use the Skyradar WiFI to run the WX and traffis on your iPad If you want it.

skyradar location

no photo, but I velcro'd my Skyradar to the top of my battery box (-6 slider, battery just aft of the firewall). I installed remote antennas, but was able to use the local mounted antennas to get ads-b signal from inside my hangar. Not sure if I really needed the remotes.

Don

If you are using remote xpdr antennas do you need two of them? One for 1090 and one for 978? (D-2)

Last edited:
Separate antennas for the 1090 and 978 MHz bands are recommended by Radenna. You can use a transponder antenna for the 1090 band and a DME antenna for the 978 band.

I know a few pilots who have the SkyRadar remote antennas mounted within view of the sky (baggage compartment in RV-6, glare shield in RV-8) and they report great reception. The RV-8 guys have their receiver units mounted under the instrument panel and the Radenna remote antennas on the glare shield. I'll post a picture if I can round one up...

WIDGET!! :eek:

XM is really only worthwhile in areas where ADS-B hasn't been implemented yet. You can buy a cheap ADS-B receiver for a year's worth of XM subscription dollars. The SkyRadar D2 is $849 and the single-band version is cheaper.
http://www.skyradar.net/

SkyRadar Installation with GRT

For anyone with a GRT HX, SX or HXr system looking to install a SkyRadar-D2, I just released a supplement with installation tips and setup instructions for how to make it talk to the EFIS. There's a link to it on the home page of the GRT website, but its permanent home is here: http://grtavionics.com/adsb.html

Special thanks to RVers James Clark, Jerry Morris and Len Leggette for their help and beta testing.

Enjoy!

Reviving this thread, I purchased a D2 and want to mount it on the sub panel. A whole pile of questions;

1- Plan to mount external antennas on the belly. Are the optional cables compatable with the antenna connectors and can I make up my own?

2- how close to the transponder and comm antennas can I mount these "receive only" antennas?

3- another option would be to install the supplied antennas through the top of the panel. The only place I can find to mount them and still be out of the way is next to the center support (slider) or in the corners. How close can these be to the tubes and still receive well? Or would external antennas on the bottom work better?

Any photos of your installs would be helpful.

Reviving this thread, I purchased a D2 and want to mount it on the sub panel. A whole pile of questions;

1- Plan to mount external antennas on the belly. Are the optional cables compatable with the antenna connectors and can I make up my own?

2- how close to the transponder and comm antennas can I mount these "receive only" antennas?

3- another option would be to install the supplied antennas through the top of the panel. The only place I can find to mount them and still be out of the way is next to the center support (slider) or in the corners. How close can these be to the tubes and still receive well? Or would external antennas on the bottom work better?

Any photos of your installs would be helpful.

I used two Aircraft Transponder / DME Post Antenna

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Aircraft-Transponder-DME-Post-Antenna-/140958325304?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item20d1c55a38&vxp=mtr

on the belly right next to the fuel vents.

I mounted the skyradar unit to the firewall on a bracket the stands off the firewall about an inch. Had custom cables made to connect to the antenna's and ran the USB cable to the GRT HX. Have used it for two years this way and pickup ADS-B towers on the ground at all airports I have flown into.

Last edited:

Just Mounted supplied antenna on small brackets in the corners, velcroed to roll bar. Used RG400 coax with connectors, one straight, one bulkhead for attachment to bracket. Bracket keeps antenna about 1/2 inch away from roll bar. First flight with adsb tomorrow, but I am picking up traffic and weather from inside the hangar, so looking good.

Erich

When you guys hard wired the power, did you use the supplied cord and just cut off the plug? Looking at this cord, one wire has printing on it and the other has a dashed white line on it. Which one is power and which one is ground?

Erich, any photos of the antenna mounts?

When you guys hard wired the power, did you use the supplied cord and just cut off the plug? Looking at this cord, one wire has printing on it and the other has a dashed white line on it. Which one is power and which one is ground?

Erich, any photos of the antenna mounts?

Keep the plug, put an ohmmeter on it, find out which wire is which.

Your proposal will certainly work. But I'd suggest you look around the interior for some place for the antennas. I glued the supplied antennas on the fiberglass doorposts (RV-10), bought a couple of 50 ohm cables from Amazon (one end male SMA, other end female) for about $15, ran to remote Skyradar box. Works great.

Back