What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

385 photos, but only 10 in this post

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
I noticed when I downloaded the pictures from my 1.3 hour RV flight this morning that I had taken 385 photos. Back in the film days that would probably be how many pictures I would take in about two years. I was a slow adopter to digital photography but I am all in now.

Owning the airplane enables a nice little gift for friends. I simply send them a couple of shots of their house. Easy and simple for me and appreciated by most home owners.

DSC01198.jpg

When you live in a small town you get to know the place and the people in it. A few weeks ago I met someone new to the area and when I found out in what part of town they lived I figured out what specific house they must have bought, just based on the kind of person.

The family that built this house made the adobes that they built it with. Much of the interior wood was salvaged from an old mansion that had been torn down. Very cool place and very suited to the new residents.

After the house shots I headed out to the northeast toward the potash mining area. Potash has been the base of the Carlsbad economy for many decades and has waxed and waned. Lately there have been lots of changes in potash mining.

DSC01226.jpg

This facility, still under construction, is part of a new solution mining project. The potash mines are on Bureau of Land Management managed land. Out here in the west a very large proportion of the land is owned by the federal and state government. In addition to mining, BLM land is used for many other things, especially grazing.

DSC01275.jpg

This dune area has been developed by BLM specifically for off-road-vehicle use. In general, BLM lands are open for everyone to use. It is a hard adjustment to go east of New Mexico where one can no longer roam, more or less, freely.

As I said, the potash industry has been up and down. When a mine closes down sometimes the facility is left to succumb to entropy.

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01335.jpg

While flying around in the potash mining area I looked more closely at an operating mine and noticed some sinkholes in the tailings pile.

DSC01370.jpg

Interesting. This made me wonder if the mechanism that caused these holes is wholly within the tailings or if the natural karst below contributes.

edit: it turns out this photo is of interest to people involved.

One great RV joy is to be able to look at something from the air after you were there on the ground. Last weekend, there was no flying because I had volunteered for duty on a resistivity survey.

This is where that was.

DSC01533.jpg

I walked from the top of the photo to the bottom of the photo and back up many times carrying electrodes, cable, measuring tapes, GPS devices and salt water. I am intimately familiar with those two cliffs and every catclaw acacia and ocotillo in the draw. I was not in proper shape for this, and did suffer the next few days.

The survey was very fruitful and seems to show a large, previously unknown, underground chamber near a known cave named Big Manhole.

DSCF4875.jpg

The large red area near the center would be the chamber.

From this same spot over Big Manhole cave, I pivoted the camera over toward Guadalupe Peak.

DSC01519.jpg

The canyon in the foreground is in Carlsbad Caverns National Park and is named Rattlesnake Canyon. Under the category of stranger than fiction is what happened here in 1999. The book Journal of the Dead deals with the homicide that was committed with a multi-tool.

Journal.jpg

Last edited:
Larry,
I really enjoy your flying tours and photos of one of my favorite states NM.
Thank you very much.

GH

I miss New Mexico

I appreciate the photographic fix that helps me count the days until I'm based out West again. Thanks!

Oh, and anyone who has hike in Rattlesnake Canyon would have a very difficult time understanding how the incident there wasn't pure homicide. If it wasn't, it involved two of the world's stupidest people.

I miss New Mexico

Some may wonder about the outstanding visibility in some of Larry's pictures. Back when the Flight Service Station was open in Carlsbad, they would take the weather observations and routinely measure 50 to 150 miles. Unless the dust was blowing. One Friday night headed to Carlsbad we saw lights from the ball fields near the airport from northwest of Abilene, about 200 nm.
Been in Rattlesnake Canyon many times and can't figure how 2 people could get lost 4 days.

Larry, great pictures, thanks for sharing. I am wondering, though, how you got the close up picture of Mars from your plane (third one)...

Some may wonder about the outstanding visibility in some of Larry's pictures. Back when the Flight Service Station was open in Carlsbad, they would take the weather observations and routinely measure 50 to 150 miles...

The visibility yesterday was probably about 150 to 200 miles. This morning we had a different airmass and it was down to around 50 miles. I really don't enjoy flying near as much when the visibility is that terrible.

Larry, great pictures, thanks for sharing. I am wondering, though, how you got the close up picture of Mars from your plane (third one)...

It's like shooting a rifle. You take a breath and hold it, and you make sure the prop is balanced, otherwise Mars is all fuzzy.

Frank Huber

Larry thanks for the great pictures. I was wondering what camera did you use to take the pictures?

Makes me think I should do the same thing..enjoy a days flight!

Often as I get myself ready to fly what with, weather checks, flight plans, cockpit checklists, thorough preflight, as well as read of the latest safety notices, I wonder why I keep doing this with all the work involved?

I look at photos like this and remember, the awe, the privilege and the downright cool thing that we do as pilots.... leave the earth and FLY!

Thanks for the photos, really envy your CAVU skies there, here in Alberta Canada this winter it has been overcast way too much.

Dave

Larry thanks for the great pictures. I was wondering what camera did you use to take the pictures?

I use several different cameras. These were taken with my latest acquisition, a Sony a99 SLT with Tamron 28-75MM lens. For comparison, here is a similar Guadalupe Mountain shot taken with an iPhone 4S. We RV people have to deal with the world's worst lens; that optically horrible, glarey and in this case, dirty, canopy.

DSC01519.jpg

291747_2483243481220_1280608425_n.jpg

Back