What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N45678!

Wesael

Well Known Member
SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

Had a great time with the first flight! All went well! Flew about 15min.

Hope to get some time on her in the next few days.

Thanks to my Wife for the support (She cannot wait for a ride)
Thanks to "Slappy" for the help building.
Thanks to God for all the great friends we have met.

Come and see us.

DSC01291.JPG

DSC01292.JPG

DSC01293.JPG

DSC01297.JPG

DSC01298.JPG

DSC01299.JPG

DSC01301.JPG

DSC01283.JPG

DSC01268.JPG

Last edited:
For some reason I could not see the photo, but congratulations on the first flight! You guys are making me jealous!

N-number

I actually looked at getting this N-number a couple of years ago for my rocket. Couldn't get it so I got N678X.

My kids birthdays are in June, July, and August (678).

grass runway?

Wow, you landed a nose wheel plane on a grass runway? haha. It must be a blast getting to fly your new plane after all the building. Im just getting started and already getting anxious! Very nice build from the interior to the paint.

Big Congrats!

The plane looks great and it's really motivating to see your pictures of first flight. Thanks for sharing. Also, I really like the video on your blog of your daughter walking and touching the plane in it's build stages! Very cute. We have a little daughter too (3 1/2 months old), so I can't wait for cute moments like that for us as well..

The plane looks great and it's really motivating to see your pictures of first flight. Thanks for sharing. Also, I really like the video on your blog of your daughter walking and touching the plane in it's build stages! Very cute. We have a little daughter too (3 1/2 months old), so I can't wait for cute moments like that for us as well..

She is a cutie. She likes to say RV 10 but sometimes says RV 12......:( I have been workin on her.

Nice job, wondered if everything turned out for you as planned, would you do anything different, are you happy with the headliner you laid up-- any tips on that?

SUPER nice paint job! (edit: and I just looked at your blog- you painted it outdoors? Incredible!)

Congrat's!

Last edited:
Outside!!!!

SUPER nice paint job! (edit: and I just looked at your blog- you painted it outdoors? Incredible!)

Congrat's!

Yeh we did it outside.

Here was the plan:

We can sand a unacceptable finish and repaint in way less time than it takes me to build a makeshift paint booth. Also I have helped paint several rv's in makeshift paint booths and still had to repaint so I felt that this would be a good gamble.

We waited till a fairly strong cold front came through with rain that cleared the air and then cooled off enough so that it was cold enough to keep the bugs down (55 deg or less) in the mornings.

We tried to spray the base coats the evening prior and then lay the clear on first thing in the mornings before it got windy and warm.

Did not quite follow this plan because of problems here and there but we made it ok with repainting a few pieces.

Remember "painting is a series of disasters" ------ Joe Spencer.

Nice job, wondered if everything turned out for you as planned, would you do anything different, are you happy with the headliner you laid up-- any tips on that?

The headliner turned out great! Yes defiantly would do it again. Makes it look so much more cozy. Just take your time at it. If you don't like it redo it. If you still don't like it REDO IT! That's what I did. :eek:

It's not how good you are at it.....it's how willing are you to redo it?

Last edited:
Finished Phase I

Just finished Phase I on the "School Bus".

Has been a fun ride. Now gotta go back to work and pay for all that AvGas:eek::eek::eek:

WOW

Good job weasel, there is no greater thrill on this planet than building and flying a RV10. God awful great photos. :eek:

Quick phase 1

Wow that seems like a quick phase 1.

I have not done a lot of research yet into how people usually do their test phase flyoff. How long was your average flight? Do you de-cowl and inspect between every flight, or just do a more standard preflight?

Did you find any problems during phase 1?

how i did it

This is the second time I did a phase I fly off. First few flights de cowl inspect. As time goes by got more confident in things so went longer between de cowling. I flew nearly 5-7 hrs some days. Near the end of testing was flying 3.3 hr flights.

Back