What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In the Pink ? Junior Takes Wing!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Sooner or later, the only thing left to do with an RV project is to go fly?and that?s exactly what we did with our RV-3 project this morning. ?NX13PL? (aka ?Junior? ? for now) took wing for the first time about 0830 Houston time with a nice overcast at 4,000? and winds behind a cold front adding a few bumps to the air. The Flight Test team consisted of me as the test pilot, Louise flying the RV-6 in chase, and a few well-trusted aviation friends to help out. Our neighbor and co-worker Steve Robinson (with a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering) acted as Test Director, riding in the right seat with Louise to keep an overall eye on the flight and make sure we stayed on task. Another neighbor, Dave Forster (F-1 builder/flyer) acted as the ground chief to make sure that I had finished the checklist and provide all those miscellaneous ground services ? like running to get my sunglasses when I was already strapped in. Ernie Butcher was the man with the camera ? when we get the shots from him, we?ll post an album. The first flight began at our airpark, and ended (as planned) at our neighboring field with a MUCH wider runway. The winds kicked up when we got there, so we elected to leave both planes there until the evening calm sets in.

Here is a quick snapshot (from Dave) of the post-flight ? Ernie had a lot of faith ? the sign was engraved and painted before the event!
DSC01613.JPG

The airplane flew like a dream ? I?m not sure if it flies straight and true ?hands off?, as there aren?t any other places to put your hands in an RV-3 (other than the controls)! But my initial impression is that it flies like a fabulous RV, feels light, and has tremendous power/speed response. In formation to do an ASI check, I could move up or back on Louise almost instantly. Nimble is probably the word I?ll settle on for now. Temperatures and pressures were all unremarkable (CHT?s all stayed below 350 ? the Mattituck TMXIO might already be broken in!), and no leaks were found when we pulled the cowl after the thirty-some minute flight.

There are so many people to thank for this wonderful machine, that there is no doubt I would leave important people out if I tried to make a complete list. But we?d be remiss if we didn?t especially thank Garmin and Tru Trak for the chance to help test the G3X panel (I?m looking forward to actually paying attention to something other than the System?s page on subsequent flights) and GX Pilot autopilot (which I haven?t yet engaged?.). The Whirlwind prop is spectacularly smooth on the Mattituck engine. Vans Aircraft has a lot of talented people making these kits ? and providing support (even for the -3) when we had questions (and they have no one who?s built one, except Van). All the bits and pieces we have purchased through the many vendors in the RV community have contributed to an airplane that is a pure joy to fly. I have never had a cockpit that fit so well in every way. And the RV community ? those who have built -3?s and the thousands here on VAF who have followed the build and answered our questions along the way ? couldn?t be better! Thanks to Doug for this fabulous resource called VAF, and all the folks that populate it.

And while I generally write the word ?we? when talking about this project, I personally have to say that I couldn?t have had a better partner ? for building, and for life ? in Louise. She?s really ready to honcho the next airplane project should she want ? and she probably should do so without my coaching. She?s ready?.just needs to get me out of the shop to make it her own. While she wants me to fly the first few hours (engine beak-in is boring I guess?), I look forward to watching her lift off in this most personal of flying machines very soon.

The RV-3 is one heck of a ride ? and the ride is just beginning!

Paul

P.S.: Yes, the cowl is pink ? you got a problem with that?!:D

Congratulations Paul and Louise! I'm glad everything went so well and that you have a new addition to the stable.

Best,
Guy & Merideth Prevost

It doesn't get much better.

Whenever I see you two together, whether working on Junior, or flying together, I figure that you guys have the best of both worlds!

You compliment each other very well.

Congratulations to both of you.

Best,

Last edited:
Cool!

P & L, congrats on first flight! Sounds like a fun airplane.

About the "pink" :p it kind of takes the "Steam" out of the "Iron" in you screen name :D

Good Luck, have fun and can't wait to see the paint on Jr.

. . . I personally have to say that I couldn?t have had a better partner ? for building, and for life ? in Louise.

You are a class act, Paul. The "projects" going on in our garages and hangars are only a small part of the larger project which makes up our short life on earth. You were among the first handful of RV'ers I ever met, and I've carried the high-standard of personal excellence exhibited by that group as my own (impossible?) goal. I can hope against hope that my airplane turns out as nice as yours, but I can only dream that my character ever lives up to the fine examples of you and Louise.

P.S.: Yes, the cowl is pink ? you got a problem with that?!:D

Yeah, I do. Aren't you ever gonna finish that thing?

--
Stephen

Wonderful, wonderful!

Congratulations - and thanks for all the building postings, too, and all the pictures.

Well done, folks.

Dave

Congrats! I'm very happy for you two. Hopefully the weather will cooperate over the next while so you can grind your way through the test program.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I never had any doubts.

Let's see, black prop, yellow spinner, pink cowling.....Can't wait to see the rest of the paint design.

Let's see, black prop, yellow spinner, pink cowling.....Can't wait to see the rest of the paint design.

Don't forget that violet harness!

Louise, Paul, congratulations on your first flight! It's awesome how quick you went through that build.

Last edited:
Way to go Paul and Louise!

I think this has been the most anticipated first flight on VAF since DR and Flash back in 2002. You two have chosen to build Junior in a very public way with your many posts and photos here on the forums, and you've made all of us feel like "part of the team" every step of the way. Thank you both for allowing us to tag along, and for the wealth of knowledge you have gifted us.

Looking forward to more flights and photos, and Best Wishes for Phase 1!

Congratulations on newest RV3 flyer! However soon you are to pass the torch you know to who... :D

Congratulations to Louise and Paul! Your partnership is rare and truly remarkable. I wish you both a long and happy union. Because most of us will never get the chance to actually fly an RV3, I can think of no better source to satisfy my Walter Mitty side than reading your excellent and enthusiastic reports. Bravo.

RE: Congrats and Bravo-Zulu

To you two and Jr. I present the ........

8zeffd.jpg

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... N74BZ

Last edited:
Awesome!

Congrats to Paul and Louise for an awesome accomplishment. Just as awesome if that you posted your progress on VAF so all could see; to enjoy, and to learn. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your project!
Tom

Congratulations Paul, Louise & Junior!!

And thanks again for letting us all read along during the build. You're making RV3 construction a lot less voodoo for a whole new generation of -3 builders. :D

I think its cool that Junior's first flight happened the same day Ben and I made our first outing together in his RV 8. A toast to the future!

Flying!

Again in Navy parlance; BZ. You two are among my favorite RV People and I wish you well.

Awesome

Congrats folks. U RV3 folks r motivating me to want to build again. Good luck. I hope to witness another rv3 first very soon;)

RV's may enjoy about the best completion statistics in all of homebuilding, but even still, taking one from zero to hero is quite an accomplishment. Congrats, and may you have many enjoyable hours in it.

In flight photos are needed!

What a day!

Most hearty congratulations. I'm looking forward to Louise's impressions also.

It's been a memorable day. As chase pilot, I'm not sure that I experienced as much joy and satisfaction as one might expect. That really comes now, at the close of the day. I was busy and focused flying the airplane. I've told a couple of folks on our team today, having a spouse with my background in risk taking and aviation is a double-edged sword. On the positive, I've dealt with risk and death and know how to deal with it. On the negative side, I can't be fooled into believing a first (or secod) flight in the new build is without risk. I fully understood what we were doing and the importance of doing it "right."

On the performance side, poor Mikey (my -6) couldn't keep up with Junior. At one point, I was covering 191 kt over the ground and losing distance to the little sucker! The only way to keep it in sight was by initiating the turns at the same moment as Paul and cutting across the "infield". Steve saw how high I was into the yellow zone and requested that I bring the throttle back. We weren't going to stay up with Junior so just admit "defeat" and pull back a little. That is going to be a fun plane to fly!

We had a fabulous team and I am enormously grateful to Paul for his professionalism in how he approached first flight and test program and for his trust in me to fly chase. I am also deeply indebted to Steve Robinson for flying with me and acting as flght director. Steve's qualifications for the task were unsurpassed and his presence made a real difference. At the end of today, I am greatly pleased with the day and look forward to flying Junior once Paul has the lane more thoroughly checked out. It sounds like a heck of a ride!

Last edited:
Geez! Im at work all day and miss out on this until now... Oh well:p CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see Junior (or whatever it is named at the time) someday! Enjoy the ride! :cool:

Pascal, I bet your scenery was more impressive. And, I bet you didn't even notice!

Congratulations! Stay safe in your future flights.

WOW !!

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing all your build with us. The ride has been fun. Looking for more reports as test un fold.

Thanks

Paul and Louise, congratulations!

What a pleasure to read the report this morning.

Vans will see a number of new RV-3 orders as a result of your success. :)

Congratulations on quite a journey, Louise and Paul.

.....and Paul, in regards to your P.S., no problem here, it brings to mind "Quick as a wink, you're in the pink."

Congratulations Paul.....but hey, send Louise up!

Everybody together now

SEND LOUISE!
SEND LOUISE!
SEND LOUISE!
SEND L.....

(and then can I go next?)

Congratulations. special plane for special people.

12/10 is always a special day around here, as it was our 32nd anniversary.

Wonderful

My congratulations to both of you. Looks like a delightful and capable little airplane. I'm sure it will be a great and well rounded performer with your engine/prop selection. Best I can say is 'good luck', enjoy your new airplane, and be careful. Well done:)!

glad to see you back posting Rick, I hope this means you are recovering well. I wish you the best this Christmas season.

We appreciate all the many congratulations, and are humbled that so many have found this project as exciting as we have. I hate to single anyone out, but dang, it's great to see Rick Gray posting again - it's a long road Rick, but we all know you're going to run it to the end!

I now have a grand total of two hours and thirty four minutes of RV-3 time....and can't wait to get more. I thought I'd flown responsive RV's before - there is no discernible motion of the stick in normal flight - light and nimble (and this is NOT a lightweight example of the breed) - and quick!

Organizing some pictures now.

Last edited:
CONGRATS

Well, I'm late to the party.... again. Take a few hours off from the computer and see what happens. ;)

Big time congrats Paul and Louise, and of course....Junior.

It doesn't seem that long ago you told all of VAF you were starting an -3. It feels like we were all in the room during the "birthing" process.

ps....Welcome back Rick.

Last edited:
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing your progress as you built. You guys did a great job and are very inspiring. Enjoy!

Photo album

Our good friend Ernie Butcher took some great photos on the ground yesterday and this morning and then generously shared them with us. I've put them into a Picasa album at: https://picasaweb.google.com/103028187447722913049/JuniorPhase1#

The album starts with pre-First Flight preparations and briefing, followed by departure, landing, and post-First Flight prepartations. Since Ernie wasn't with us for the 2nd Flight departure or landing, that flight isn't documented. The last group of photos show Junior's departure from its off-field landing site this morning, the planes third flight.

Back