What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TDI Trip Report

Flandy10

Well Known Member
It was looking like another scorching weekend in HOTlanta until I get this text from my brother. "If you don't have anything going on and want to fly up for the weekend- we have the room and beverages at Lake James" Hold on a second---quick check of the forecasts--- "Honey, pack a bag, we heading to the lake in the morning. Have plane, will travel....

Left early Saturday morning for a smooth, cool flight to Angola, IN. Very short ride from the airport to Lake James.

i-jqxWWDH-M.jpg

What a difference a lake breeze, cool water, and few beverages can do for you.

i-hNNXmng-L.jpg

Tracey even found her new happy place. :D

But there was another reason for this trip-

i-4d8FGwM-M.jpg

My brother and my bride are both turning the BIG 50 one day apart, so it was surprise party time.

Alas, Sunday evening rolled around and it was time to head back home and to work for me on Monday.
i-dMXgZQ2-M.jpg

but not without Mother Nature trying to make it things interesting- this water roadblock wasn't in the forecast.

i-WfDwbS7-M.png

Just a slight detour was all that was needed to find a RV size VFR gap.

Flight details.

To Angola--3.5 hrs 30.7 gallons---8.7gph avg
From Angola--3.4hrs 26.5 gallons at 8500ft 155KTAS--7.8gph avg. (about 155HP)

(The prototype CD-230 has a turbo restriction above 6,000ft. that the production engine will not have. Fuel burned was calculated from the fuel pump and what is remaining in the tanks. I'm still working to smooth out the FF reading.)

Thanks for the report Scott. There are some nice lakes around Angola. I went to Hoosier basketball camp for a week at Lake James - about 1966! It was nice back then too.

Now, THAT is a good fuel burn!!

From Angola--3.4hrs 26.5 gallons at 8500ft 155KTAS--7.8gph avg. (about 155HP)

This is what we should expect from a diesel!

My 7 is just a touch better on 100LL at the same altitude/speed, but not enough to brag about. But this is from a 10 . . . WOW!

Will you be getting an upgrade/swap to a new production unit at the end of this test program?

Bill,

The prototype goes back to factory when the production model is ready. I look forward to it but I?m not in any hurry right now.

Bill,

The prototype goes back to factory when the production model is ready. I look forward to it but I?m not in any hurry right now.

Scott, when is that going to happen? For those of us holding off on the FWF, I'd like to know when. I've communicated with Kim Winner at Continental, but she deferred me to Van's...and they, Gus Funnell, say they are waiting your results.

Anticipation...

weight comparrison

Scott:
I have been planning a -10 for some time, with the help of many others expertise and learning curves on this great forum I have 19 pages of notes on mods, and "gotchas". But your post is really interesting.

what is the all in weight of the diesel vs. IO-540, less fluids. I.E. all accessories needed to run the engine (obviously the alternator is needed for both configurations and not what I consider necessary since the weight is the same between gas and diesel.)??

Last edited:
Back