What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passed Inspection!

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Still hasn't hit me yet but as of yesterday N10JW is Airworthy! She successfully passed with no major issues. The DAR was fantastic throughout the process, fielding the numerous questions I had as well as help in completing all the fun FAA paperwork!

For the actual inspection he gave me to posture of the plane prior to coming out. Basically access panels removed, empennage fairing no screws, baggage panels removed but the engine cowled up. He spent about 45 mins looking over the plane, we also removed the cowling so he could see the engine. All in all I had 5 or so items he wanted me to double check and made some great suggestions.

We then went back to the heated FBO where he looked at my build log, FAA forms and made all the appropriate entries. He also walked me through the special airworthiness certificate which now also includes operating limitations. After everything was completed and explained we took the obligatory inspection picture and now I'm clear to fly!

Inspection

Still hasn't hit me yet but as of yesterday N10JW is Airworthy! She successfully passed with no major issues. The DAR was fantastic throughout the process, fielding the numerous questions I had as well as help in completing all the fun FAA paperwork!

For the actual inspection he gave me to posture of the plane prior to coming out. Basically access panels removed, empennage fairing no screws, baggage panels removed but the engine cowled up. He spent about 45 mins looking over the plane, we also removed the cowling so he could see the engine. All in all I had 5 or so items he wanted me to double check and made some great suggestions.

We then went back to the heated FBO where he looked at my build log, FAA forms and made all the appropriate entries. He also walked me through the special airworthiness certificate which now also includes operating limitations. After everything was completed and explained we took the obligatory inspection picture and now I'm clear to fly!

Huge congrats Justin. I know how you feel because I received my airworthiness cert yesterday as well. Great day for the RV10?s.

Joe

Congrats. I have your build log bookmarked and have followed from the beginning. Now for you onto bigger beginnings. From building to flying!!!

Huge congrats Justin. I know how you feel because I received my airworthiness cert yesterday as well. Great day for the RV10?s.

Joe

Congratulations to both of you!!!

Joe, can you share some of the information on who did your inspection: DAR or FAA, Cost, etc.

I have a ways to go but starting to think about that kind of stuff.

Thanks

Congratulations

Congrats Justin.
I'm really curious about the operating limitations. Were they the standard stuff or were there any surprises?

What sort of suggestions did he offer?

...if you don't mind sharing:)

Congrats Justin.
I'm really curious about the operating limitations. Were they the standard stuff or were there any surprises?

What sort of suggestions did he offer?

...if you don't mind sharing:)

Thanks everyone! I guess the biggest surprise of them is they don't fit well in my carefully thought out registration pocket. It's standard letter format so I'll need to do some origami to get them to fit and have the certification showing. The rest seemed fairly boilerplate, nothing overly confusing.

As for suggestions one was about jam nuts, needing to ensure the rod end wasn't binding and wrench tighten the nut. Another was my braided brake lines down the gear leg. He said you could use some cable tips as standoffs and then strap it down so it's not rubbing against the gear leg. He noticed one of the exhausts was touching the cowling so will want to get a bit of space between those. A few other things which were mainly around securing a wire or something so it doesn't rub against something else.

For those that have completed the inspection process...and are flying IFR, does the aircraft require another inspection by a DAR/FSDO or is an A&P notation of the equipment's installation and operability enough?

For those that have completed the inspection process...and are flying IFR, does the aircraft require another inspection by a DAR/FSDO or is an A&P notation of the equipment's installation and operability enough?

Here’s the limitation that allows IFR when properly equipped such as paragraph 19 from my OL’s:

19. Day VFR flight operations are authorized.
Night flight operations are authorized if the instruments specified in§ 91.205(c) are installed, operational, and maintained in accordance with the applicable requirements of part 91.
Instrument flight operations are authorized if the instruments specified in§ 91.205(d) are installed, operational, and maintained in accordance with the applicable requirements of part 91. All maintenance or inspection of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records and include the following items: date , work performed , and name and certificate number of person returning aircraft to service. ( 41)

If you have this Operating Limitation, then it’s just a matter of equipment - and anyone - literally anyone, can install and maintain the proper equipment; just make sure they make a proper log entry showing this. If your dog did the work, you might want to make the entry for them, unless they’re able to sign (super talented dog).

Only the Repairman or an A&P can sign off the Condition Inspection, but anyone can perform work on the airplane.

Last edited:
Justin,
Were you able to pick your own flight test area? What kind of range did they give you? Just curious.

I put 50 miles on my program letter. The DAR came back with 50 miles for the first 10 hours, then the state of Oklahoma for the remaining time.

Area

I put 50 miles on my program letter. The DAR came back with 50 miles for the first 10 hours, then the state of Oklahoma for the remaining time.

Nice! I mapped out a big area for the program area that was approved. I wish I would have thought about 2 areas now. I didn't even think about it. Oh well. I have 40 hr's because of my prop.

Nice! I mapped out a big area for the program area that was approved. I wish I would have thought about 2 areas now. I didn't even think about it. Oh well. I have 40 hr's because of my prop.

Are most of you guys getting 25 hours if you have the C4B5 and the Hartzell?

Larry

You can get 20 hr's with a certified engine /prop combo.

I understood that. However, the hartzell is only certified with the D4A5. The C4B5 is functionally identical to the D4A5, however it is not specifically listed on the hartzell cert docs. I was wondering if others have had any success getting the FSDO to accept it for the reduced time.

Larry

I understood that. However, the hartzell is only certified with the D4A5. The C4B5 is functionally identical to the D4A5, however it is not specifically listed on the hartzell cert docs. I was wondering if others have had any success getting the FSDO to accept it for the reduced time.

Larry

I don't think my DAR would have dived that deep into which specific model of 540 was an approved combo with that prop. The jist of what i was told is if your prop was a certified prop for a "540". Your mileage may vary though.

I don't think my DAR would have dived that deep into which specific model of 540 was an approved combo with that prop. The jist of what i was told is if your prop was a certified prop for a "540". Your mileage may vary though.

Thanks. That is encouraging. With the 6, I found that after about 25-30 I had achieved all of my testing and the balance was mostly flying around in circles. While I was still learning the plane, it would have been nicer if I wasn't restricted in space.

Larry

Back