What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 Flight Display V4.10 Software

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We recently released new V4.10 software for the G5 Flight Display and updated the manuals to cover new features.

The previous manual was a combination Pilot Guide and Installation Manual, but we released separate manuals with this update to make them a little easier to use.
G5 Pilot Guide
G5 Installation Manual

There are many improvements in the V4.10 software, but one we want to mention is the new ability to support up to 2 navigators.

7ahkswkBoiNqchI_upsHxdjXuF_Vx3uWm2wQvlLFNycXLmk-wz-p0pdhpE2qQdRWB1S7SWqivFyBJpkAkbKtASFXdDkP3xmZut9AjwTupXITP-7STyh6He_wb48Wk4IwQcViqTe9YH8vQBN4yaDXI649LORK69uhw7l-HaeKp_OdwWaj9v8FWVf0lS9JSS5ZTZylXWINEqcx5YQdcsQsdmsuU3vunFkck3w68FXso33sx7uu67_PJSkxKyWeQLBpzEglX28z4ZHEQ0C5BpuYu5LKLdbNfup8DepNVGkpAI3HRrtMR3lmog-x2nQ5NmMbqh7yif6Ivxznswl8mNGKDMzKpDm4SBbbPEZStoU0Mc8gQaJJh5E5WHC5MOwEsrcvOzSCee7RAaRKrbAj9fTGaVoNCI1gkblh9Wc3FYRTkjWvK4z-vDEgWEXUL-AmcEhvRYi8ykU7jL5jh68ehaKm43-dxwVHn09p2-9oDlRXNyry0vk_qR10QcwFw9OA1eS-yvfZ4lVQhg2xaA9do_SSjLs9HVKNLeIIv09GBegebZl44kmWU_D_qnCYVkog1CwTCi0u-oCP7DUTG2gik4-veSVurGxP3EcZJv_fywPNug=w374-h399-no

For example, you can now install dual GTN or GNS navigators, and select either for navigation just by pushing the knob and selecting the Source select field. Page 31 in the new Rev. G G5 Pilot Guide discusses using the Source select control for GPS, VOR, LOC or VLOC connected navigation sources.

Installation and configuration guidance for the following dual navigator options are shown in the new G5 Installation Manual. Other options are possible including GNS units in place of GTN units.

GTN with GNC 255
Dual GTN
Aera 660/796 with GNC 255
Aera 660/796 with GTN

Another installation option we wanted to mention is a standalone GDU 370/450/460/470 display with a G5. Not only can the GDU 37X/4XX be one of the navigators in the system using its built-in WAAS GPS receiver, but when external flight planning is selected, it can also receive flight plan and navigation data from a connected GTN/GNS and show all of the curved paths and holding patterns being shown on the GNS/GTN unit, but with a much bigger display mounted right in front of the pilot. At $2,995, the GDU 470 offers a lot of capability and value and can also connect to various ADS-B and SXM traffic and weather receivers like the GTX 345, GDL 39/39R, and GDL 52/52R for a complete traffic, weather, and music solution.

Iuw1_ktkoW6YMt7EiHILWGQi2rLUZPBqFO3Bwe97exXsAdNzrt4IeJnz-PYba29gvyk7kaUu8PM-L29ZPyyEtvCsu10Owy6Hiccn9U02CAPyIMenKDwhCJ2ItT4zzZ-6kE6N_QdZrqJDdzY8H-G6i_HVrq74NIcQKghyiy9wt7BZjzRqmlXHl-lMg48fkUXf4-47BXhEPvOQORCvFljUvnhSqkn7dDw7dSET7bUV5Nlhjnw10RV82Vw_CtZh4lM6b8rHaLqhR2N6TZLdEZmmsCQDoi0STkvp-TF0NUtX5ulY8JpxOyPBcrH8mpt3KAkmi8Cq_-mdj4E6UIMy12zk0Mbh5fs0L-yZqDeL3-AUp9-KNawlHchyrPoIr0UCYSOWOmPN_-4sCANteXzznsRbWKCvE6iCa-rp5mrvXtQM3sZZQmmBHimrJp4Z-F6N9P_oSOpgB59eKuKbf6jgdxzlhxfZMGbyAA6jtrwAaf61vZ86mAPQubBTv1hrlNtCQZcFCiwug3QXh3LT0gORMSUXSGhfCkILP1nMwN4I_2VI0Wh9yl2P5yXufAcrpYbKaN0jcZ4ixQFPCW6TLJL2oKvJsArjN79yQRSDOOxMWtqkDA=w769-h794-no

It isn't necessary to buy a complete G3X system to get an autopilot with ESP (also new with V4.10) and many other capabilities.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

Is it now possible with a G5 and standalone GDU 4XX to display the map full screen without an external navigator or is a GNS/GTN required for the display you show above? My understanding was that with a standalone unit the map would only display in a split screen setting. It sure would be nice to utilize that large screen for navigation and let the G5 be the primary flight instruments as describe above.

Thanks!

Mark

Steve,

Is it now possible with a G5 and standalone GDU 4XX to display the map full screen without an external navigator or is a GNS/GTN required for the display you show above? My understanding was that with a standalone unit the map would only display in a split screen setting. It sure would be nice to utilize that large screen for navigation and let the G5 be the primary flight instruments as describe above.

Thanks!

Mark

Hello Mark,

It has always been possible to install a standalone GDU 37X or GDU 4XX display (with or without a G5) and have it operate as a full screen map.

The GNS/GTN has nothing to do with that.

Keep in mind that if you have an ADAHRS or other G3X/G3X Touch components connected to the display using the CAN bus it is no longer just a standalone MFD with map and becomes a G3X system which will insist on showing the PFD information full time. That has probably been the confusion.

Note that in a system like this, the GDU 470 is not connected to the CAN bus that the G5 units, servos, and GMU 11 are connected to. The GDU 470 is providing navigation data to the G5 and autopilot using RS-232.

6dxSjr8EWX51QrH2DlSZF-jPzatIpqmXq1ncG_2_kHxeCL28x0XUutZObvpR5nWHH0TAxURli-iwp1_h-38DVMGK7D5pEVG6wbEmL9QmRhgaRm8mswNGMrs33sqvYJrM9vP2jKkKJyCy9H-OBr_hts8fKRqrkZC4Q7FyTQG5WEIJY_7jJwsnl1LMzjMJ5Tj81CePC0MtPfprUPVwwcfl_ZXrjRLZIcKoY9vmRmQhzT_JniC20T2FCUGmEPIvITi8Qws_lxJyNeg4zj6nlnoZG5r-_vrV3PYB_rnr5G6O7qv1Z1DvycrIyXuEViJrG_3YJlPE8GtaiC1Kqe6eoj26lDgt3kcMEyPOt08a5qyeRSMNUnIiu5YDv53jhem-FTwtr7FkfkKkbqF3i9tG7hPcRdppDabjGh46X5si9DiQRcqi13cyYDts8xkiacSmdq-cyjcQjE0GN0BJsB-QBnHK5vadJGQcuJi4OhDjldExayFYJ1KlcHNu_hj3HLrsqkeiiK0N79GtGa7iim720I8Fzetu7uvLkQHxQDo_oJJ5A43yUTiWm6DmF-JCORccdfICjnSIlDdeXxZ1QGVceJMCcLpAW5Sx-1a1zyFHeDIElX3DAdFfas5qDWChdM0_Th3VSuA=w494-h754-no

The panel mount GDU 470 in the above picture is providing the same function as the Aera 660 in this example system. Using just the flight planning and navigation features of the GDU 470 or Aera 660, you can even fly autopilot coupled VNAV descents to pattern altitude at the destination airport by just pushing the VNAV button on the GMC 307 during cruise.

oxpb5M32hnNYnmMmnyzaR5hqUhc_sFUo13AdlCrRTe0sF0vmcMQ2e6dIcGGU9mcysyCSCnAk-tkdzGIR7jm3mz2AeiEY75HISoV2CQOPF7hsHdUZbk1ta0tUowlcGGOWg0CuLKRd-EAtDihoG0tzozHDid2yZZMGhHnRoE6KCAXwyp1AbIpmX31wT_Vwpc4sL6BkcCE_Y20rXNKYIWTmFl88HFta28X1crZzFdWoBFscM1Pkjz16iqC6TjRkJkWQJt7AczrBg-pI0UY_mUNMJNGlmIBIxI0Hslo8g9Brm06o79MHO7TZJvvK5I7j286oMBVJF-3bGKmd_Y3ibHv82yURWXL_S2GqKQLWXk4zYgKa7sFW3_vnCq_ItjyvNPhD11Du3kujpjXPKWzDeE6bhXwcdzffUDT56Hkiz_CariIa3DnKpCaKkMuEMNhsffNOTIjWl7Mxbp3GYX-eFtUtlFSBZdL3I5QWd8wzsznnYPlYYE-_M1yy8qLFpuPkNWU1Cv6OgEMr_vM6t84XMNW6g-VNOd2wE_AnWAQ0SuUTc83H_aPSex437cR2yYibwbvq0JDncIzEPtY7UlZxwzW60iFgjxGTA5cXoj5A1ACqrw=w383-h754-no

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
37X ?

Another installation option we wanted to mention is a standalone GDU 450/460/470 display with a G5. Not only can the GDU 4XX be one of the navigators in the system using its built-in WAAS GPS receiver, but when external flight planning is selected, it can also receive flight plan and navigation data from a connected GTN/GNS and show all of the curved paths and holding patterns being shown on the GNS/GTN unit, but with a much bigger display mounted right in front of the pilot. At $2,995, the GDU 470 offers a lot of capability and value and can also connect to various ADS-B and SXM traffic and weather receivers like the GTX 345, GDL 39/39R, and GDL 52/52R for a complete traffic, weather, and music solution.

So does this apply to the 37X units as well? I am assuming not since you didn't specifically mention it (but I can always hope ;)).

So does this apply to the 37X units as well? I am assuming not since you didn't specifically mention it (but I can always hope ;)).

Hello Dan,

Yes, as mentioned in the previous posting:

It has always been possible to install a standalone GDU 37X or GDU 4XX display (with or without a G5) and have it operate as a full screen map.

I will update the original post to include GDU 37X. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks,
Steve

If I put together a basic system as shown above, with the exception of the stand alone mfd being a gdu 370, can the 370 be used for engine monitoring and remote xponder control if not setup as a full g3x?

If I put together a basic system as shown above, with the exception of the stand alone mfd being a gdu 370, can the 370 be used for engine monitoring and remote xponder control if not setup as a full g3x?

Hello Mlidzct,

Not currently. Those are two features which really push the system over into G3X territory.

To control a remote transponder you need a GSU 25, which in combination with one or more displays, a GMU 11 magnetometer, and OAT probe is a basic G3X system.

Add the GEA 24 engine monitoring interface to that for the engine gauges.

If you already have engine monitoring and panel mount COM and Transponder, the system below starts to make sense (for traffic, weather, flight planning, navigation, autopilot, etc), but otherwise the basic G3X Touch system is probably the most attractive and cost effective.

4RBNJ5OcJP5XMg_7eMCKqDWVFF_NvLOdP2nQyIMlWn0lptjJDkWr7e3fJQDSS_MZs62qK7mwzhGeLEAwgpzvr414QXcpDajRkmLaPSVbqUJDyQzRkfEY_wd1C9grpGSLMWsJOo7idx-LYheGyHggKUB7GvHZbPd9fh15C7ykQCTL7hflApfHTuXKNApMz-7U1zR1j5KaIj30MLhrYk2ovhKW9opW2q_pijvmNLdgpquMHGpcnN4N0FjRp1NaZlVQFOZkv6ZgDhVvXQcecdP60VQhOg9syF4pHQgXpQkOco2KrzRCT708RE4ktxlK_3Rr_QZ5N8-uRzOf4msUNLJPVsDZO0cGJjvWKogQxehx5JKszr821cg6NeSCG76KFxRf-p8fHP1ANNblTTYtBZf2TxPA0rNqq1Mk-GZcSfWEHgjAJukxG_kO_XXaqFWP8ifIPVgP2MpAcmYBMkBkFWgtZ3i06xgpL_8zH_NGFXbZv3u7LMGBsVHhpC99A8kh5K3U4Fcn6mNj651B-CDdHIAb6jTN4mF8Xi-8OWR9MJ2N9H8G8AbTImadWuJoC4b0DXZgDycEhznsUriHl8SjyPkusGT6kocqaEX1uHyIyQo=w494-h754-no

For a single display system in most aircraft, the 10.6" GDU 460 is really hard to beat since it provides the space and user interface to do everything well.
QLq4ZaZCGusmBkPLHM4AJkKs-pl57h_B8UwFlGrlhYtwktvj-hzKDDV4QYPsnUwF9wlspnluFyvwWOIXDmMdbPgsgxcTR_uC9hr9jdLtshV7q9Av6XjEsWcVFJdVfUk_WPyydMAmeRfhth0lpiVwKs0_7ashZfq0jNNdCKBBaOfbrZ-HBVG05_Vqko5IEKkTCF_saCLbyVyllqJHPDruSCOyKIlCWZnaLxVPtXD5rYNLwwEao5xbBx2dt0O-65bKNDoAVZI5ZAzdAx2_iPwC2O2yz_BZD8-XOmjhRSk8-d9aHQRQegEbblodbQUIY2B2zHAQrNxRC4vCN5Dclha0FqW12ksAsWWV59KEk-iTdpzvdtaYcmr3oLvezN6v65BxmTPCsLHsxcS76ZwL8v5A9MbPaLG8SFqGUfpHfo1Tsl1hvFz_ggOX3Nw5smP1S5J374mQM2g_a5gAPFDea9ffjObljKrJx94NfCyRtu9JnNiRtyWjUfdnBoGY9ehj7OTLy2LincyhFCbD5qKjhxnCU3qoGGEb-CMuTFgjdxJtx28sp-jHUpsEtD9NeBI6ufYeJCr9T3uFe3tCeMsvdSiUcsgYSOKaxgg_89YS6dw=w1029-h754-no

Thanks,
Steve

Is there a SW release with this feature for the certified units?
Can an SL-30 be used as the 2nd source?
Will the HSI display both sources?

I just installed 2 G-5's in my Navion and love them.

thanks for the info. I already have a gdu 370 screen so was planning on building off of that. I can not find a list of compatible transponders. I have a GTX33 laying around, is that controllable with the GDU 370 or only with G3X touch screens?

Thanks
Mark

Is there a SW release with this feature for the certified units?
Can an SL-30 be used as the 2nd source?
Will the HSI display both sources?

I just installed 2 G-5's in my Navion and love them.

Hello Greg,

The certified software is the same and has this capability, but there has not been an STC update that approves dual navigators.

The SL-30 cannot be used as the second navigator since it doesn't have an A429 interface like the GNC 255.

Thanks,
Steve

thanks for the info. I already have a gdu 370 screen so was planning on building off of that. I can not find a list of compatible transponders. I have a GTX33 laying around, is that controllable with the GDU 370 or only with G3X touch screens?

Thanks
Mark

Hello Mark,

Understand.

The GTX33 remote transponder may be used in either a G3X or G3X Touch system. This is mentioned in the installation manual.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi, on my RV7A I have a G3X Touch+GTN750+GNC255+G5. I still have an old software version on the G5 and so far I've been unable to see any NAV signal from any of the GTN or GNC on the G5, but I think the old G5 manual says this is normal unless the G3X fails (please confirm my understanding is correct). If I update the G5 to 4.10 (please confirm if ONLY a garmin dealer can do this update or I can do it myself), will I be able to see NAV data on the G5 in normal conditions, i.e. even while the G3X is working? If so, would it be possibile to show on the G5 NAV signal from the GNC255 while the G3X shows NAV signal from the GTN750?

Last edited:
Hi, on my RV7A I have a G3X Touch+GTN750+GNC255+G5. I still have an old software version on the G5 and so far I've been unable to see any NAV signal from any of the GTN or GNC on the G5, but I think the old G5 manual says this is normal unless the G3X fails (please confirm my understanding is correct). If I update the G5 to 4.10 (please confirm if ONLY a garmin dealer can do this update or I can do it myself), will I be able to see NAV data on the G5 in normal conditions, i.e. even while the G3X is working? If so, would it be possibile to show on the G5 NAV signal from the GNC255 while the G3X shows NAV signal from the GTN750?

Hello Mancival,

Nice system!

While it is possible to go to the G5 web page, download the software to an SD card and update the G5 software yourself without a dealer, we recommend you keep your G5 software in sync with your G3X Touch system.

Just update the software on your G3X Touch system (currently V5.60), and your PFD will automatically update the G5 to the current software level that matches the software being used by the rest of the system.

The newer software does provide lateral/vertical navigation information on the G5 for things like flight plan navigation, ILS approach navigation, and LPV approach navigation even when the G3X Touch displays are operational. We have a new G3X Touch software version coming out pretty soon, so you could wait for that, or update to V5.60 now.

The G5 is tightly integrated with the G3X Touch system and follows the selected navigation on that system, so it is not possible to select the GNC 255 on the G5 when the G3X Touch system is using the GTN.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks, very useful. Last question (a bit off topic to be honest): I would like to upgrade my GTN750 to the new 6.41 software: can I update myself (since the RV7 is experimetal) or I need a Garmin dealer (since the GTN750 is certified and I wouldn't be able to access the software to download online)?

Thanks, very useful. Last question (a bit off topic to be honest): I would like to upgrade my GTN750 to the new 6.41 software: can I update myself (since the RV7 is experimetal) or I need a Garmin dealer (since the GTN750 is certified and I wouldn't be able to access the software to download online)?

I know Steve will chime in here soon, but since it's getting late over in London, here is the link for what you need. Having just done this, I can tell you it's pretty straight forward. Download the service bulletin, load the updates on an SD card and follow the instructions. Here's the link:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00G3X-00&cID=155&pID=63892

Hi Steve

Dual G5s only install on my RV-6, wanna keep it light, simple, and "cheap".
Also installing an Aircraft Collision Avoidance System, namely a Garrecht AIRtraffic AT-1.
Anyway of linking these two devices (RS232?) and presenting the traffic infos on the G5 I use as a Navigational Display?

DeeCee57,
The G5 currently either displays a Primary Flight Display (PFD) or HSI. There is currently no traffic display. Therefore, connecting your traffic system to the G5 would be of no value.
Thanks,
Levi

Hello DC,

One additional comment is that some of the Garrecht units provide a Garmin TIS-A format RS-232 output that the Aera 660 can use.

Since one of the world's best small display units for navigation, mapping, traffic, weather can be purchased for $749, there isn't much reason to try to squeeze this data onto a G5 and mess up those beautiful G5 displays.

As you probably know, the Aera 660 can also provide navigation data to the G5 units.

Thanks,
Steve

urLp-mXZ-hsrSs8AtoPtCNBhiwsEpGh57Zuppl2bJawuXp-_dkuNmxlo78-I5r2Ggyzywb0bM6lkcf5Q_IeQ8zeE4aoqLlGo1JzTLDNGZuuAXYpJ3-NeHBWHWLlNJJK-8uxlvtIzNF1fIMgp80CRP4YoEVLeGEYk8kDWg65Gq3dNq-4dIq3FZJPYSA_0JFnj_uZpZ46XcUzZ2H9uIQ26r9VeW0R9uRv1k5mANMZfcormNicCkxpeXGHAlQW6t-uyT9k6wEu0gwPiHvlIKwUbTRG2lXVcDZWBQWrEKMeoC1jfQEAHfuKpLTZUFDVP6b_RKQcDwnjiIbYJOfEGR7tt54VzrbD4uTYHOIZCE5n2jCGs-kUzX1nxP3EqNG_qP9AkDbyhIL_2sLeze-oVkhm11iSk4XTDPa4_QByDdbjlTaxxecc43jaJ-_IBY7RP40_koIGCPKN-y8i9iBb6UnVPrAnU9UUdvOg0wRPaL7NsF8baRRn0Ywl9MYwnNXrtMDM3cyhsyzQ-p15MutH5MBcrxMp-rp0ZioDgjAG9ejHzOwGnVjhA6qDSKuyWF7zaI6YmKYMIXFndO1JtdL3Ft9J60jx8Xpjfg994hwIW56rbfiAVcaqMMwAJJge76po1qRyPDFHF967YTmTKSMemNdCcgXRG=w581-h869-no

Hello DC,

......Since one of the world's best small display units for navigation, mapping, traffic, weather can be purchased for $749, there isn't much reason to try to squeeze this data onto a G5 and mess up those beautiful G5 displays.....

Thanks,
Steve

But it sure would be nice to have a dedicated traffic page/tab on the G5. I?m installing two 10.5? touch screens in my -7 so for the most part my G-5 will just be along for the ride....but it?s the PERFECT size to display traffic on a continuous basis.

Mark

Thanks for the quick answer Steve, appreciate.

I'll use my lower G5 strictly as an HSI, just using the magnetometer GMU11 for mag reference... no G/S, no LOC, no A/P, eventually using the CDI for GPS course if I find an easy way to link it to my iPad running SkyDemon nav software.
So it ain't really cluttered and having the targets projected on the rose would be the same as on the additional display I now have to purchase.

GMU 11

Can someone please explain what this GMU11 does as I am about to purchase a G5 just not sure if I need one as will not be using the HSI functions as purley VFR and need the new gauges.

Thanks in Advance

GMU11

G5 wish list with GMU11

G3xpert take note, I would like to see your comments on my suggestion below.

What would be helpful added to the G5 display would be wind direction and speed and with a GMU11 coupled this should be possible.

This feature would be very useful as I land at a lot of short strips with no windsock. It would be very useful to back country flyers that land off airport.

Apart from that the G5 is a wonderful piece of kit and am very happy with mine.

Rob
RV3
L4 Grasshopper
RV8 very very slow build.

The G5 unit contains an internal GPS receiver and an internal GPS antenna. As such, the unit provides GPS derived ground track. If heading information is desired, then the GMU 11 is added as it provides magnetic heading information to the G5.

For a "Certified" aircraft installation, in addition to the G5, a GMU 11 and an external GPS antenna are required.

G5 wish list with GMU11

G3xpert take note, I would like to see your comments on my suggestion below.

What would be helpful added to the G5 display would be wind direction and speed and with a GMU11 coupled this should be possible.

This feature would be very useful as I land at a lot of short strips with no windsock. It would be very useful to back country flyers that land off airport.

Apart from that the G5 is a wonderful piece of kit and am very happy with mine.

Rob
RV3
L4 Grasshopper
RV8 very very slow build.

This would also require the need for an OAT input from something.

Where do you goto to register your G5 and get updates in the future. ( found the updates look like an install program that you would use once you D/L the update.)
I have looked at flyGarmin but no luck.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Back