What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proud Moment for Our Family

TomVal

Well Known Member
Our son, Jeff, took command of the 93rd Air Ground Operations Wing at Moody AFB on Tuesday. After five tours in the F-16 and numerous assignments overseas, Jeff is now finally based closest to our home (in Charleston) during his past 22 years of service. We are planning to take advantage of this during the next two years of his assignment and spend more time in Charleston.

As an aging parent, I have had limited time to share our love of flight with our son. We have shared one weekend of flying when I owned a Yak-52, Jeff had one flight in my RV8, and after four years of ownership, Jeff has not flown in my RV12. As I see my flying years beginning to fade away, I am looking forward to making up for lost time with our son.

http://www.moody.af.mil/News/Video.aspx?videoid=472174

Last edited:
Congratulations Tom! I wish we had another 100 million just like him for the future of this country! I hope you and Jeff get to fly the stew out of the -12 and share many happy moments together!

Congrats Tom and Jeff! yep---Valdosta is a short hop from charleston---you;ll love it.
Good to have him close by
Tom

Congrats Tom and Jeff! yep---Valdosta is a short hop from charleston---you;ll love it.
Good to have him close by
Tom

During our base visit took the liberty to visit VLD for facilities (overnight hangar space...checked ok). Also noted swamp to avoid overflying. CHS-VLD...about 2:15 enroute. With wife, full tanks, and 5 pounds of baggage...we're ready to roll!

Congrats!

I know what you mean. My son helped build a fair amount of my RV-10, but has had only two short flights in it. He was in Kunsan and now is in Misawa. We are hoping the next tour is CONUS, so we can at least have more opportunities to see them and our new grandson.

bob

Congrats!

I know what you mean. My son helped build a fair amount of my RV-10, but has had only two short flights in it. He was in Kunsan and now is in Misawa. We are hoping the next tour is CONUS, so we can at least have more opportunities to see them and our new grandson.

bob

Yikes...back to back overseas tours....sounds like his next stop will be to Luke for his obligatory instructor tour at the school house.

Congratulations and Happy Days with your family. Thank your son for the courageous service to our country.

Roberta:):):):)

Congratulations! My son was in A-10s at Moody and I went through pilot training there! He's out now and flying for the airlines. For the first time in many, many years, he and I are sharing our love of flying via our RV8. Go fly with him every time you get a chance. These guys are heroes and we get to share our love of flying with them. Priceless!

I know how it feels. I started building my 7 the week my youngest headed to USAFA. Now 10 years later he has only flown with me twice. Colorado Springs is the closest he has ever been to is. We are wishing for Dayton for his next assignment, only a short hour plus flight!

Congratulations! My son was in A-10s at Moody and I went through pilot training there! He's out now and flying for the airlines. For the first time in many, many years, he and I are sharing our love of flying via our RV8. Go fly with him every time you get a chance. These guys are heroes and we get to share our love of flying with them. Priceless!

A good friend of mine and also a 72-XX graduate at Moody attended the CoC ceremony with us. It was his first return to the base in 44 years.

We were a bit surprised that Moody did not have a T-37 or T-38 on static display. Although there were several photos of President George W. Bush where he too had attended pilot training in both the 37 & 38.

Congratulations Tom! You must be a proud father very few sons make it to Colonel even fewer to reach the level of Wing Commander.

You and your wife obviously did a tremendous job of parenting and guidance, and it has paid off in Jeff's life. I am so very happy for your family:D

Greg Novotny
RV-14a N14ZP (80% complete)
former contemporary of Tom at NWA (747-200, A330 etc)

Thanks everyone for your support of the military and your supporting comments. Also, thanks dr for the front page post!

Back