What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Build - N311CJ

Hello to the VAF community. My empennage kit arrived September 30th and I've been enjoying nearly all of the work so far. When I started I didn't appreciate all the satisfaction this type of work would have or how I would maintain interest for the several years it will take to complete. But now that I have started it does not feel like a slog or something that I hesitate to go out to the shop to continue working on. I am definitely looking forward to this process of building an airplane, and in the end I will have a really nice airplane!

I am logging the build at: http://www.charlesoconnell.com/
what can I say it was available :)

You're making great progress. Either you're not married or won't be for long :)

I just started my kit on Nov 1 and my wife is already complaining!

Charles,

Sounds like you are enjoying the ride! Here's hoping that you will have to change that username soon!

:)

Divorce happens to the best of us! That was told to me first eight years ago by another renowned RV builder. It happened to me. I am not wishing anything on you, but seeing as it already came up in conversation, I thought I would add to it.

Good luck! Your life WILL CHANGE during the build... perhaps not as a result of it?

Mine sure did! I am MUCH happier now. The plane is incredible! Enjoy the ride!!!

;) CJ

Woah!

My wife has been a wonderful companion for 19 years now, and this isn't my first project :D She is my #1 priority, now more than ever (read my notes section), I am putting in time on the airplane when I don't have other higher priorities that need attention. We are still relatively young and I look forward to 30+ more years with her.

I do work fast because I am familiar with GA; professionally I've been on the design side of aircraft for over a decade and am familiar enough with the processes and methods I can dive right in. I am, however, still susceptible to mistakes and misreading the directions as I have already demonstrated with my first MRB action on the tailcone stiffeners :eek:

Now I am jealous!

:D Good for you Charles!

Truth be told, I have just found a wonderful woman who is incredibly supportive of this habit and understands completely. So much so that she might get her license in my RV!

Charles, you aren't too far away from New England as the RV flies. Perhaps I will see you around?!?

Looking forward to viewing your progress. Keep it up!

:) CJ

Hey Charles, Welcome to the build process. I started on a -10 about 4 months ago, bought an already started tail kit from a guy in TN. I have previously built and fly an -8 and like you, thoroughly enjoyed the build process. I am moving to Flat Rock NC in the next few months, looking forward to flying my 8 around the area. My wife has been supportive of my flying addiction for past 30 years of marriage and several years before that of dating.

Good luck on the build.

Steve

Pro-seal or not

I completed the rudder today. It was 8 hours of assembly and not terribly difficult. I chose to use Vans suggestion to use the 3M tape which worked great. I was able to apply the tape and allow it to "cure" while I completed the intermediary steps to riveting the trailing edge. When I got to the trailing edge I removed the clecos and setup my back rivet plate. I riveted every third rivet 1/2 way then came back and riveted every other rivet 1/2 way.
I then went back and competed riveting every other rivet. I then flipped the rudder over and completed the other 1/2 of rivets the same way. All in all it took 30 minutes to do the trailing edge rivets. The results were as good as I hoped for. It was certainly well within the 0.100" requirement of straightness.
If anyone wants to avoid pro-seal the tape method is good and it only cost $3 for a small roll of tape.

Where I'm at

At about 85 hours here's the progress.

DSC_0930.jpg

Am I the only one who did a double take on the "inline twin RV-10"?

DR is messing with us in the front page.

Nice work though.

Fuselage Kit ordered

VT - done
RDR - done
TC - done
HT - started
ELV- not started

I ordered the fuselage kit today. Sept 30th is when the empennage kit arrived; 2 months from now should be enough time to finish HT and ELV at a relaxed pace.

Last edited:
Ha! I love my vacuum. And the fridge of homebrew next to it, though I can't get to it just now. The Primer is Stewart Systems EckoPrime. Simple one part easy to clean up and sprays nice. Just have to get the parts very clean prior to priming. All the rivets are installed wet with the primer to ensure no gap for moisture to collect under the head.

Ha! I love my vacuum. And the fridge of homebrew next to it, though I can't get to it just now. The Primer is Stewart Systems EckoPrime. Simple one part easy to clean up and sprays nice. Just have to get the parts very clean prior to priming. All the rivets are installed wet with the primer to ensure no gap for moisture to collect under the head.

Hey, nice to see another fellow homebrewer of both beer and RV-10s!

Back