What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flame test standard for fabrics

comfort level?

this was by no means an exhaustive study, but when I was buying some upholstery, I found that almost everything automotive fabric I ran across was 'fire-rated' which only meant that it would not support combustion, which may or may not be the same as 'self-extinguishing'. ( wool?)
If you're not happy with that, you can obviously hold a match or torch to it like Dan does...it's kinda fun, and an eye-opener when you see that black smoke come off of some of the fibres, and imagine the cockpit full of that junk!
I also sprayed all my existing seat cushions, carpets etc. with 'Flame-Out' from ACS I think....which made me wonder, if you Scotch-guard your fabric, does that make it MORE flammable? :)

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/inspectashield.php

Flame spread applicability

The benefit of slow flame spread is realized when the flame is over there, and you are here, so to speak. When the flame is impinging on the cabin walls or the seat you are sitting on you've got a much bigger problem which will not be lessened by a slowly advancing flame or self extiguishing fabric. There is also a lot of concern these days about the risk of long term low level exposure to flame retardent chemicals. I'm not worried about the flamability of the interior fabrics in my plane. But that's just me.:)

Back