What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Flap Motor Wiring

ColoradoSolar

Well Known Member
I just received the new style Vans flap motor in my kit but I can't find any info on it. Does anyone know what the pinout is?

What is the "new style" motor? Is it the showplanes system or something else? I may be a year out of date on what is "new".

Sorry - can't help you then. I'm using the showplanes system that was supplied with my kit in 2020. Position sensor would be nice - my SteinAir panel has wiring to attach to one which I am leaving unused. Maybe if I ever replace my flap motor, this would be a good replacement.

I just installed mine two days ago.
If you look closely at the wires, the heavier gauge red wire and the only black wire are your power wires. Just reverse polarity to extend/retract.
Sorry for that description, but there aren’t pin numbers on its molex plug.

Progressive automations does have a data sheet on their website for this, but I had a hard time following their pin callouts.

Does this motor require any modification to the original mounting structure, similar as the PH motor or is it a drop in type?

Does this motor require any modification to the original mounting structure, similar as the PH motor or is it a drop in type?

Looks like they redesigned the mounting bracket between the inboard footwell rib assemblies. I'm not 100% sure because I have the old style + PH Aviation, but from the online plans it looks like the new brackets are longer and mount on modified F1016D seat belt doublers. This probably has the effect of pushing the flap motor towards the front of the airplane, which is what the PH Aviation brackets are primarily intended to do.

As expected from Vans, the install kit/brackets were very well engineered making the process easy. Nothing sketchy about it.

RV-10 PA-12 Flap Motor

The manufacturer's documentation for this flap motor leaves a bit to be desired...

The thick wires are flap motor power. The thin wires are for the potentiometer. Yellow is power. Red (or Blue) is signal. White is ground.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The manufacturer's documentation for this flap motor leaves a bit to be desired...

The thick wires are flap motor power. The thin wires are for the potentiometer. Yellow is power. Red (or Blue) is signal. White is ground.

Hope this helps!

Eric beat me to it.
The supporting engineering dept. just provide the following and I believe work is being done to incorporate it into the install documentation.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-13 094113.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-13 094113.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 155
Eric beat me to it.
The supporting engineering dept. just provide the following and I believe work is being done to incorporate it into the install documentation.

Scott and Eric thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I had figured out the main motor wires but was unsure which wires were what for the pot. I'm glad Vans came out with this new motor, I was going to install the ph aviation one but having the mount already redesigned is easier.

Anyone know if there are any plans for updated brackets to accept this motor in the -14?

Does retrofit kit come with the flap motor?

Or is it a separate item that I need to order? Would like to replace the old style.

Thanks.

Thanks Dad.

But does the new flap motor come with the retrofit kit or is the retro kit something additional I need to get?

could someone please advise if the end fitting is removable on the "new" style vans actuator, ie 1/4" threads or such (like the PH unit) that the stock end piece could be removed? Thank you

Any idea where to get the other half of the molex plug supplied with the flap motor? It seems to be a non-standard size.

could someone please advise if the end fitting is removable on the "new" style vans actuator, ie 1/4" threads or such (like the PH unit) that the stock end piece could be removed? Thank you

just checking back if anyone has the new style to check or has installed it and knows, thank you!

Back