What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List of Torque Values

DaveWelch

Well Known Member
Fellow "Santa's",
Has anyone compiled a list of torque values that would come in handy when, for example, doing a condition inspection? Or at times when you've removed something and just want to put it back in with the correct torque without having to dig thru the KAI (wherever THAT is)?

I've had good intentions of compiling such a list/table but...(insert favorite excuse here, I'm blaming it on the grandkids :)...at this point I just need to know what the torque is for the Engine to Mount bolts for Rotax 912ULS before I start reinstalling carbs and 5-year cooling hoses.

If anyone has started such a list, please share. I'll add to it and repost with name/date included for some modicum of configuration control. I'll also add a "change log" so future users have an idea what Drawing Revisions and SB's have been included.

I know KAI Section 5 has a list of "standard" torque values. Still, there are many instances in the KAI where specific values were called for during assembly.

Maybe someone has addressed this already. If so, I couldn't find it using "search".

Here's a beginning of the list I have in mind. I would add columns for MM/Rotax Reference and KAI Reference with Revision Date.
What do folks think about using a .xlsx or another common format? MS Word Table?

Torque Values:
Prop hub: 220-240 in-lb use crisscross pattern
Oil Tank Drain Plug: 19 Ft-lb
Magnetic Plug: 18.5 ft-lb dry
Spark Plugs: 180 in-lb GAP=??
Valve Covers 90 in-lb
Landing Gear ??
Engine Mounts to motor??

All the best for the Holidays!!

2cents,
Dave

Last edited:
I don't have a list but I know that one - 29.5 ft lbs from the Rotax Heavy MM chapter 71.

eng mt bolt torq.jpg

Thank-you Jon!
Not the first time I've been looking in the KAI when the answer is in the Rotax Docs.
Seeee???
Wouldn't it be handy to have a list/table for these? I'll add it to the list I've started.

Prop hub: 220-240 in-lb use crisscross pattern
Oil Tank Drain Plug: 19 Ft-lb
Magnetic Plug: 18.5 ft-lb dry
Spark Plugs: 180 in-lb GAP=??
Valve Covers 90 in-lb
Landing Gear ??
Engine Mounts to motor: 29.5 ft lbs / 40 N-M / 354 in-lb. Source: Rotax Heavy MM chapter 71.

Cheers,
DW

Last edited:
Right see if this works.

Here's a list of the recomended torque settings foe 912/914 engines.

There are a couple of oddities:
The new Rotax sparkplugs ( unbelieveably expensive ones ) use 16Nm
The gap on the old plugs is 0.6-0.7mm
Please ignore the scrawl on the bottom.
Sorry they are in new money but it's what is used in the UK.
All are on a cold engine!
Sorry its upsidedown.

John.

PS I've also found another great source of information a list of all common bolts and their applicable nuts, washers and other parafanalia. Let me know if you'd like me to post it.

Attachments

• Scan_20221019.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 526
  • Scan_20221019 (2).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Other Brother Dave

I've added the torque values to specific inspection/maintenance steps on my condition inspection checklist. The spark plug torques are listed by the spark plug inspection step, the oil filter torque is listed...well, you get the point. There are multiple sources for torque values, many of which I also keep on a clipboard in the hangar (and others are providing here). But having them on the list right on the step you're working on sure is handy when it's that time of the year.

PS I've also found another great source of information a list of all common bolts and their applicable nuts, washers and other parafanalia. Let me know if you'd like me to post it.[/QUOTE]

Please do post!

Thanks!

Well see how this goes.

Double click and see what happens.

John.

Attachments

• bolt sizes.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 314
The file preview that shows up in your post doesn't look so good, but the downloaded file is clear and most helpful.

Thanks,

I've added the torque values to specific inspection/maintenance steps on my condition inspection checklist. The spark plug torques are listed by the spark plug inspection step, the oil filter torque is listed...well, you get the point. There are multiple sources for torque values, many of which I also keep on a clipboard in the hangar (and others are providing here). But having them on the list right on the step you're working on sure is handy when it's that time of the year.

Thanks Dubya!
I recall writing those on my Inspection Checklist also...now I just have to find it among the piles that the movers dropped off <grrr>

BTW, you seem like a decent guy even though your last name is misspelled :)

bshawco,

Yessir,
Please post your list also.
There is a list in KAI Section 5 as I recall. However, IIRC from 6 years ago it didn't include some torque values that I needed.
I believe one can seldom have too much information available as long as we are careful to be sure that listed values/information is applicable to our situation e.g. correct application, materials, thread types/pitch, nut type (self lock?) etc.
As always Proceed with caution Experimenters! If in doubt follow the KAI. If in doubt about that...ask questions!
All the best for the Holidays and beyond,
Dave

I made my own annual checklist that I revise every year to pick up SBs and other changes. I put the torque specs in the checklist for all the fasteners I have to check so I don’t have to hunt for them anymore.

I made my own annual checklist that I revise every year to pick up SBs and other changes. I put the torque specs in the checklist for all the fasteners I have to check so I don’t have to hunt for them anymore.

Is this something you are willing to share?

I asked the same question

Is this something you are willing to share?

Haven't heard back from him yet. He is usually quite involved and prompt in these forums. Maybe Holiday stuff going on.
If I can find my Inspection List from last year among the moving boxes I'll add what I have written on it and post also.
Happy New Year,
Dave

Last edited:
Back