What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone ever had a passenger have a panic attack in flight?

aarvig

Well Known Member
Having just recently attained my private pilots license I have been excited to share the joy of flying with my family members. This holiday weekend provided the excellent opportunity for that. I gave my mother-in-law and sister-in-law a nice tour of the St. Croix river valley and then returned to give my other sister-in-law a ride. My wife and three year old son wanted to go and since they had both been flying with me I put my sister-in-law in the right seat. She hadn't been in a small plane for over 20 years but had just recently flown commercial so she didn't think there would be any problems. I had just departed 18 and made an eastbound turn when my sister-in-law grabbed my arm and said "I don't think I can handle this anymore." I looked over at her and noticed she was sheet white, sweating profusely and shaking. This all came on very suddenly. I was suddenly aware that I was in an urgent situation. Was she going to panic and open a door, a window or grab the yoke and push it down? Was she going to puke or pass out? I didn't know. What I keenly remember thinking was..."fly the airplane." I immediately contacted the tower; "Anoka tower, cessna 567 is returning to the airport for immediate landing on 18." The intensity of her panic accelerated exponentially and I started to see her grabbing for handholds in the cockpit. I realized that part of my job was to keep her calm. I decided to talk to her in a very easy tone and just described everything the airplane was doing and when it would do it. Thankfully, the tower gave me immediate priority and cleared me to land right away. It felt like forever but the wheels eventually kissed the earth. I literally had to carry her out of the cockpit and lay her on the ground in the hanger in the shock recovery position. It took her a half hour to come down. It was unbelievable but she eventually calmed down. WHEW!! Hind site is 20/20 and one thing I failed to do was inform my wife in the back seat of what was going on. We only had three headsets in the plane between the four of us so my son was wearing it when the incident occurred. My son was talking and talking and it was a real distraction. The plane does not have an intercom to shut off the rear passengers so I cupped my mike and yelled into the back seat "get that headset off him." My wife did as I asked, I didn't explain why (I didn't feel like it was a priority at the time, I needed to fly the airplane and manage my panicky passenger) and all she noticed was the engine power reduction and the turn back to the airport. I didn't realize it but she thought we had an engine failure. Eventually, she figured out what was happening but I think I missed a valuable opportunity to have help in the situation plus I scared her. Lesson learned. While it is hard to screen for this type on sudden onset panic I will definitely be more inquisitive when I bring a passenger on board. Secondly, I will calmly communicate any issues to my back seat passengers. I am satisfied with the outcome but I think I could have handled it a little different. I am wondering if any of you have been faced with this type of situation and what did you do?

You did the right thing. If the passenger heard you declairing an emergency it may have made things worse. You remained in control of the airplane, turned around, got on the ground with everyone safe. Tell her whenever she is ready you will try it again, this time with lots rum & coke!

I have had to "explain" things to my wife also, never good for domestic tranquility. Remaining calm and not showing emotion can work against you in some instances where you need action now without question, however, barking orders to the wife never goes over well at my house. We now have a verbal clue to each other. When we are really serious and need immediate "action" I call her by her first name, then ask her to do something, and vis-versa. Maybe a little more "pre-planning" with her would help your wife if a similar situation arises again. You want her to be comfortable flying also.

Last edited:
Panicky First Flights

I've never had an experience anywhere near what you had, even though I've offered lots of relatives rides and had few takers.

Several years ago, my father-in-law said he'd never been up in an airplane and he'd like to take a short flight over his hometown and his property. So naturally, I obliged him. As soon as the 150 cleared the height of the trees and we could see for several miles, I could sense him tensing up. All he said was, "Wup-Wup." Not being sure what that meant, I asked him if he wanted to return to the airport. He said he would be ok, and I continued the flight with very shallow banking and very small power changes. After we landed and he got out of the airplane, he told me that was two airplane flights he'd had. Puzzled, I replied, "But you told me you'd never been up before." He promptly said, "That's right. That was my first and my last!"

And then, there's my mother-in-law. I love her and she loves me, but I can't even get her to sit in an airplane. She says she believes what the Bible says about flying. "LO(W), I will be with you always." I have great parents-in-law, even though they don't like flying.

Aaron, as for your experience, there were probably two or three ways you could have handled it successfully. And you certainly found one of them. My hat's off to you. Congratulations. Flying is a learning experience, and sometimes the education is more about the psychology of your passengers (and your own) than with things like aviating and navigating.

Very nice job...handled professionally and calmly. Exactly the right thing to do.

One thing I've always done is "brief" new passengers (new to GA)...not so much formally, as to scare them ("in the event of a fire or forced landing..." baaaad things to say), but more about attitude and options. I make sure they know that it's perfectly okay, at ANY time, to say they don't want to go, or they want to land, and that we can stop the flight (at the closest airport), no problem whatsoever, no bad feelings, nothing. I have NEVER done the "c'mon, you're not *afraid*, are ya?" kind of harassing of potential passengers (I've seen it done...very uncool).

I think sometimes that not being in control makes people anxious, and giving them some of that back by allowing them to decide that flying (or *this* flight) is too much for them makes them feel a little more calm. I let them know they can ask ANY question, at any time (except for take-off and landing, when I'm busy), and they'll get an honest answer. And I give them things to do...just pointing out landmarks ("see that? that's where I work!", etc.) can help, too, to take their mind off of the "mystery" of flight and more on the "neat" aspects.

But in the end, if a passenger has a panic attack like that, sounds like you handled it perfectly...you never really know how someone will react to flying until you get them in a plane!

Nicely done...

For a new pilot you handled this perfectly. I know ATP's that would have been rattled with the situation. You'll make for a good pilot.

Glider flight

Once, when giving a ride in a two place sailplane I had a somewhat similar experience.

I was starting takeoff and just as I became airborne the stick went rigid. My "passenger" had freaked and grabbed the stick as a handhold. Here I am "trying" to fly formation on the tow plane. I just sort of held my own up to about 1000' feet until I could persuade him to LET GO. The freaky part of this to me was that he was a rated power pilot. You can't ever tell.

The passenger almost made me panic...

Flying a Cherokee 140 out of a farmers grass strip with my Brother-in-law in the back seat and his 80 year old mother in the right seat (easier to get her in the right seat than the back seat of a Cherokee and she did love to fly). Right as we became airborne (soft field takeoff) she decided to adjust her position in her seat and grabbed the yoke as a handhold to pull herself up.:eek:
It was all I could do to hold the yoke to keep us from pitching up and losing airspeed but my brother-in-law quickly spotted the problem and grabbed her arms. That was too close for me...

Very nice job...handled professionally and calmly. Exactly the right thing to do.

One thing I've always done is "brief" new passengers (new to GA)...not so much formally, as to scare them ("in the event of a fire or forced landing..." baaaad things to say), but more about attitude and options. I make sure they know that it's perfectly okay, at ANY time, to say they don't want to go, or they want to land, and that we can stop the flight (at the closest airport), no problem whatsoever, no bad feelings, nothing. I have NEVER done the "c'mon, you're not *afraid*, are ya?" kind of harassing of potential passengers (I've seen it done...very uncool).

I think sometimes that not being in control makes people anxious, and giving them some of that back by allowing them to decide that flying (or *this* flight) is too much for them makes them feel a little more calm. I let them know they can ask ANY question, at any time (except for take-off and landing, when I'm busy), and they'll get an honest answer. And I give them things to do...just pointing out landmarks ("see that? that's where I work!", etc.) can help, too, to take their mind off of the "mystery" of flight and more on the "neat" aspects.

But in the end, if a passenger has a panic attack like that, sounds like you handled it perfectly...you never really know how someone will react to flying until you get them in a plane!

Nicely done...

Ditto on always briefing, especially to first time small plane riders.

Things I ALWAYS include:
- Where they CAN touch hold, as well as DON'T touch/hold
- Things to give them "power" over the flight - e.g. "If at ANY time you are uncomfortable, nauseous, or just tired of being airborne just tell me and we will head straight back"

A lot of jokes spring to mind about handling that situation like Arnold Schwarznegger, but you did just fine. Key is to talk to the passenger explaining everything you are about to do before you do it, and keep your voice calm. Unfortunately, once you're airborne there aren't exactly a whole lot of options!

Happened with my flying loathing wife (hates the motions that happen, not a fear of flying itself). She honored me with being the first passenger after getting my private - panic set in climbing out, hyperventilation, etc. Circled right back around to the field, always double checking she didn't grab anything (was told in pre-flight not too touch). Not as scary as the first post, but I will never tempt fate again.

Wow, that sounds like quite the ordeal! I've not seen such a thing (I've been a passenger more than pilot though). I have given many people rides on the back of the motorcycle which can also elicit a similar response I think. There its easier to just stop and let them hop off if things got bad (I've never had to resort to that). So far I've managed to screen out people who might not be up it and I usually start with some low speed manuvering in a parking lot.

I've often thought that it would be nice if the right side controls could be disable or removed for flying non-pilot passengers around.

...Tell her when every she is ready you will try it again, this time with lots rum & coke! ...

Umm, Larry ... I thought we weren't supposed to fly after drinking ... :D

(although, for passengers like this, it's good advice. That's why I installed an ejection seat in the back. "Whatever you do, DON'T push that red button!")

:D

Proper choice of words can make the difference in a good experience and a horrible one. The fellow I bought my 172 from told me about taking 2 of his friends to a St. Louis ball game. After the game and lot's of beer the two friends fell asleep soon after departing St louis for the trip home. Just before landing the pilot decided to wake to guys up so they wouldn't be startled when he touched down. The only problem was he said "guys we're going down" instead of of we're landing. He said they both nearly dissasembled the plane and screamed like little girls before he could make them understand they were just going to land.

RE:Bravo Zulu Award

Hi Aaron

Job WELL DONE!!!!!

You surely deserve the Bravo Zulu Award

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... BUZZ ... N74BZ ... Flying :D

nice job

Nice job on handling the situation. You thought that your check ride was a test.

Note that you can also greatly reduce your chances of having the nervous passenger. One thing that really helps is to develop your "captain's voice". With the most soothing and reassuring voice you can muster, make it a habit to walk them through everything that's about to happen before it happens, with no long gaps of silence. Tell them about the run-up. When cleared for take-off, tell them what they'll experience once you put the throttle in (nothing with a 172;>). Tell them that you'll slowly pull the yoke back at 60, and we'll begin a climb to cruising altitude. Bumps are normal.. like going down a dirt road. Fresh air vents can help make them feel better... You get the idea. If they still panic, they might be more likely to go for the vent than the yoke.

I won't tell the long version, but my wife panicked on an early flight and thought I was trying to make her fall out of the plane. >:O Fast forward. Now I'd say she almost likes my rv7, though she complains she'd rather have the rv-10.

I don't know if it was a case of panic. Maybe it was a case of really nervous.

I was a teenager giving my pentecostal preacher Grandfather a ride in a C172. I don't remember anything unusual (but this was 40 years ago) about the ride until we were on short final. At that point my Grandfather suddenly grabbed the yoke and started moving it left and right vigorously. I did use my command voice to tell him to stop. We did not debrief about the incident, and to this day I don't know what was going on in his head.

I couple of years ago during a Young Eagles flight, it was obvious as we left the ground that the passenger was very nervous. I asked him if he wanted to go back and he said he did and we did. No problem.

Young Eagles flight

Several years ago before I finished the -7A I was flying some YEs with my local EAA chapter in my '59 C172. I had three kids on board and shortly after lift-off I noticed one of the back seat passengers (a boy about 8 or 9 years old) was visibly distraught; tears running down his face, mouth open, lips quivvering, etc. As professionally as I could I made an announcement on the CTAF, "Skyhawk 28E is returning for landing on runway 21, I have an uncomfortable passenger." I let him out and proceeded to fly the other two. We had a number of other kids to fly so I pressed on. Later, after we had finished with the group, I found out that the kid had had misgivings from the start but his dad didn't want him to miss out on the opportunity and MADE him get on the plane. I wish that I'd have had the chance to meet his father behind one of the hangars and have a "chat" with him!

Excellent advice as always!

Thats what I love about this community of aviators and builders. I can post a situation regarding safety and get excellent advice from experienced pilots. It honestly is a place where one can become a better pilot (and an addicted builder:D). Thanks for all the imput and encouragement. I'll definitely be putting it to use.

Well done

Aaron:

A job handled well!! You know in my 10,000+ in light airplanes, that has never happened to me. Back in my previous life at NWA, the first item on our emergency checklist was FLY THE AIRPLANE. You did just that with a positive outcome.

Flying is one learning experience after another. Good job.

That's quite the ordeal for someone new to flying. I'll go out on a limb and say that most likely (I'm no psychologist) someone that responds that aggressively in that situation probably has other pronounced phobias in life. Maybe there should be a questionaire available that one could give a new potetential passenger to reveal the potential for such a reaction.

I had a college roommate that was/is a great guy, but it wasn't until I knew him 3 years that certain phobias started to come to light. I remember we were in the state capitol building in Austin Texas, going up a circular staircase and he was hugging the inside wall. We thought he was joking, but turns out he had a fear of heights. Several years later when I took him deer hunting, he absolutely would not get into a low tree stand. Other than those few instances, I never saw evidence for these fears.

And remember if they freeze on the controls and its life or death... Your elbow under their chin is the weapon..I mean.. tool of choice...:)

I always thought that black belt might come in useful one day..:)

Frank

And remember if they freeze on the controls and its life or death... Your elbow under their chin is the weapon..I mean.. tool of choice...:)

Or in the case of my RV, if I 'help' them pull up on their stick it will pop right out. Not that it will help them relax, but it will certainly help me. ;)

another tactic

Or in the case of my RV, if I 'help' them pull up on their stick it will pop right out. Not that it will help them relax, but it will certainly help me. ;)

I remember reading of a small female flight instructor who had a very large male student panic and freeze on the yoke. She couldn't overpower him through the controls so she dislodged his headsets. The sudden shock of noise immediately got him to let go of the yoke to put the headsets back on, and broke the brain-lock death grip.

Jeremy

My friend was teaching a young foreign kid that came to the US for flight training. On his first take-off roll the kid jerked back on the yoke and the little 172 jumped off the ground and immediately the stall warning horn was going off. My friend was pushing on the yoke and yelling at the student to release it but he would not.

A swift backhand to the nose remedied the situation. My buddy made one circuit around the pattern, landed and told the student to find another instructor. Can't say that I blame him.

My first pilot training was in sailplanes (a Schweizer 2-33, which is tandem with the student flying from the front seat). My instructor was already a good friend of mine, and told me that no matter what I got us into he could get us out. This was reassuring for a new pilot trainee to hear. His instructions to me were that when I heard him say "I've got the plane" I was to release control so that he could fly. Seemed simple and easy.

However, he also showed me a wooden mallet that he kept in the rear cockpit area, and then explained that he kept it there in case a student were to freeze on the controls. He told me that he had actually used the mallet to "dislodge" a student that didn't respond to his directions to release! :eek: My noggin never experienced the mallet, but I still recall his methods as a reminder of how serious such an event can be.

To me, tandem aircraft are more problematic in this regard. If your passenger is sitting behind you and freezes on the controls you are in big trouble because it is very hard to reach back to employ a mallet, backhand, or whatever. For this reason I would be very careful and thorough about screening potential passengers to ride in back!

Last edited:
Pax panic

I had two episodes in the late 70's when instructing. The first involved a ten hour student, 225# footballer, in the left seat who froze on the controls of a Cherokee 140 on short final. Yoke locked with too much up elevator, his hand holding throttle closed and airspeed rapidly deaying at about 75 feet. All my verbal input over the previous 30 seconds or so had no effect. I couldn't break his hold or overpower him so I hit him as hard as I could with the back of my left hand/arm. That did the trick and he let go and we were able to recover to a fairly normal ldg. He didn't solo that day! The second episode happened a few years later when another CFI and I working for a local flight school were going to take up a brand new F-33 Beech (Debonair - 225 hp) just to try it out; we both a good amount of Bonanza time. A student of another insructor asked if he could go along. Sure, we said. On takeoff the door popped open (not rare in Bonanzas). It's noisy but they fly just fine so Del and I just called tower for closed circuit and ldg. The student in back went wild, screaming, hitting things including the seats randomly and thrashing around. He happily didn't try to climb over the seats. His panic continued until we had stopped at the FBO and gotten him out. Really no serious problem but scary. Happily no more pax problems since then.

GREAT JOB!

Another nice thing about the RV6 is no back seat folks to worry about :)

So far I have had no trouble. At every opportunity (Start, taxi, run-up, in position) I ask if they are good to go and remind them that it is ok to change their mind at any point. If at all possible I never make turns to the right till they feel ok. Turning to the left they see me not that long drop to the ground. I also try to give them something to do - read the checklist to me or tell them everything I am going to to say touch or do. So far it has worked. A few tears here and there but it has always been fun in the end. Glad to read your post and file it away in my mind if the need arises I have a good example.

Again - Outstanding job!

attack in 172.

After takeoff the 50 yr plus lady took her eyes off the runway and began looking over her left shoulder toward the interior of the aircraft and starting saying loudly get me down,get me down! I realizes her condition and had her put her seat all the way back and tighten her shoulder harness. Called tower and they responded-is everything Ok. GEE I thought I sounded professional when I called. Those great tower folks can tell. Their calm because their on the ground (almost). We landed safetly. Maybe I won't put that stick in the right seat position of the RV9A! Risk management. We should all know if there is a event. Great Question,Thanks for posting. Ron

Good job Aaron

I have slightly over 100 hrs now, 40 since check ride. I have learned alot on my own, from local pilots and from others posting situations such as yours. Thanks for the experience to put in my memory bank. I have only taken my wife and two kids up so far. My wife does not mind the 60 deg banks to the left. I don't do it to the right more than 45 deg or she feels like she is going to fall out.

...The only problem was he said "guys we're going down" instead of of we're landing. He said they both nearly dissasembled the plane and screamed like little girls before he could make them understand they were just going to land.

Thanks Jim,

i just spewed coffee all over my key board and monitor. Hate to say it, but that's funny!

... I also try to give them something to do - read the checklist to me or tell them everything I am going to to say touch or do. So far it has worked. A few tears here and there but it has always been fun in the end. Glad to read your post and file it away in my mind if the need arises I have a good example.

Again - Outstanding job!

That is a good idea. When giving Young Eagle rides I try to get the YE's to make all the radio calls. This usually keeps them busy and excited. When they get on the ground they usually ask, "Mom, did you hear me on the radio?" Followed by, "I got to fly the plane!"

Good to remember...

...that not everyone is like us. When I was first learning to fly, I approached each flight with absolute awestruck enthusiasm for what was going on, and couldn't get enough. Many of our passengers may not feel the same way. Its important to remember that most people have only been exposed to "standard rate" turns in an airliner.

I agree that the key to easing apprehension is to get the passenger involved. During the prefilight, explain what everything does ("this is the elevator, it helps us climb or descend. See how when I move it up, the stick comes back?") Let them see the checklist. Explain what will happen BEFORE it happens and give reasons. Also, pointing out familiar landmarks can bring a sense of normality to an otherwise completely foreign situation.

Oh... and never, ever utter the words, "... Hey, watch this!" :cool:

Not just newbies

Not all of our tense passengers are newbies.

My wife is a passenger who likes the short time to get there, but she is not excited about flying, if you know what I mean. I learned a lesson several years ago in the family 172. We had been visiting relatives in Tennessee, and even though she had flown many hours in the right seat, she became alarmed and didn't tell me about it.

As we were climbing to cruise altitude for our one hour flight back to Alabama, I noticed the ammeter was showing a lower than usual reading. I thumped the face of the instrument with my finger and said, "I don't like that." I didn't know until we landed that she had worried the whole trip. I then apologized and also explained to her that we weren't in immediate danger for the day VFR flight.

I learned that I need to be very careful of how and what I say when flying. Also, I told her that if she ever has any concerns again to please ask me so I can explain what's going on.

Last edited:
I learned that I need to be very careful of how and what I say when flying.

90% of my passenger flights are acro flights (typically coworkers at lunch, once a week). So of course this means that I have to hand them a parachute and show em how to put it on. Over the years, I've learned that very slight differences in phrasing can make a big difference in how this process goes - and if they get nervous at the chute putting on moment it probably means little/no acro will happen during the flight.

That said, now that I've got my phrasing dialed in I pretty much never have a nervous passenger. I just explain "there are 5000 flying RVs and no one has ever had to jump out (I don't say this: except for that poor soul with the burning RV-8 many years ago, but he didn't have a chute so it wasn't quite the same), so it is really unlikely we'll be the first. But it is prudent to know how to work it if it did happen (which it won't), here is what I'd do and what you'd do."

I also do the talking them through whats happening as we taxi out, how to understand the phrases with ATC, say that after take-off I'll be a little busy for a while, etc... Frequently checking in with "how ya doing? any questions? having a good time?" For acro passengers having them get a little quiet is the first sign they are feeling bit uncomfortable - so without saying that it seemed they are uncomfortable, I let them fly the plane for a while - 5 mins later they are as good as new.

Last edited:
Two Place Aircraft

I was giving rides to extended family members in my 9A one bright and sunny day and my next passenger was to be my 21 year old niece with down syndrome. The rest of the family wanted me to give her a ride. I had to refuse giving her a ride because I couldn't take care of her if she had an issue and fly the airplane at the same time. If I had additional seats then it would have been a different story so someone could assist her.

The point is you have to be aware of your passengers capabilities to take direction and not to create a situation you can't control since your first responsibility is to fly the plane.

Puked at 16k..

I had a friend with me at 16.5k out of Las Vegas on OX when his legs and arms started to get stiff and very sore. Next thing you know his breathing was going slow and he was screaming with pain, and could not move. Needless to say this was a rapid descent to lower levels and an emergency landing. Turned out to be as a result of hyperventilation which causes your muscles to spasm if you get TOO MUCH ox. Strange but true.

WOW!

I can't believe all the stories. Goes to show the importance of being situationally aware of all things...including your passengers. All your posts have been good learning experiences for me.

I had a friend with me at 16.5k out of Las Vegas on OX when his legs and arms started to get stiff and very sore. Next thing you know his breathing was going slow and he was screaming with pain, and could not move. Needless to say this was a rapid descent to lower levels and an emergency landing. Turned out to be as a result of hyperventilation which causes your muscles to spasm if you get TOO MUCH ox. Strange but true.

Oxygen toxicity. That's the first time I've heard of it ever happening during a flight in a light aircraft w/ supplemental O2, though. Strange. Anyone know anything more about this sort of thing?

I had a nervous passenger freak out when both doors popped open in a Tomahawk.
Must add I was the cause of the second door opening when trying to close the first. My passenger was sure we were going to see our maker.
He hasnt flown since.

Tetany

Its called Tetany, not well understood, but probably caused by too low CO2 rather than too much O2, either way a result of hyperventilation.

Hans

Hans is correct. The hyperventilation causes respiratory alkalosis and in turn hypocapnia and altered Calcium levels leading to the muscle tightness or spasm, numbness and/or tingling. Breathing into a paper bag held over the mouth and nose builds up CO2 and corrects the problem if you can get your pax to do it. It's a pretty quick and easy cure. Bill

That makes more sense. I couldn't figure out how oxygen toxicity could occur under non-pressure-demand O2 or whatever you call those systems that are used above FL400 (just supplemental or demand oxygen system).

little tykes can get ya

I read a story somewhere where a guy took his approx. two year old boy on a flight, nicely strapped into the car seat in front, and just at rotation the little fellow decided to help his dad pull back on the yoke. Gave him quite a scare.

After reading that, when I took my little ones flying in the club aircraft, I made sure that the seat was in the full back position so they could not reach the yoke. I prefer my flights to be boring. :D

1 out of 11 Young Eagles...

I was very active with my local EAA chapter during the first two years after my RV-9A was completed. A good way to get more flight time was to fly Young Eagles. As an electronics communications engineer, my life is about "how things work" and always has been, even when I was a teenager.

Flying for me started with control-line models as a 10-year old, radio-controlled models later. My first official flying lesson was in 1991 at the age of 44. Along the way, I had a summer job in radio back in my college days, so I have the "voice of authority" on the COM radio when I communicate.

As for the 1 in 11 Young Eagles, he was in the group during the introduction to the airplane before any of them had their chance to sit in the right seat of my RV-9A. I explained the control surfaces during the pre-flight walk around. I also held up my hand with thumb and little finger extended to show the tilt of the wings that starts an airplane turning as I moved the aileron and showed them the stick moving at the same time. The "one" kid must not have been paying attention when I gave that explanation about banking is required for turns.

These kids were all across the age group for Young Eagles. I would say the ONE that was fearful was about 13 years old. He was about the fifth ride that day. I heard this "ooooooHHHHH" on the intercom from him when I made the first turn to crosswind after climbing 500 feet above the runway, and a bit less of the OH sound when I turned downwind at patttern altitude. I realized that he was not in any real distress, just surprised. I think he expected it to be like riding in a car with the top side always up.

I made all these flights from the Collegedale airport, not far from the Chattanooga VOR. I made it a point inside the terminal, before the flight, to show the kids the Atlanta sectional showing the Chattanooga area and pointing out the VOR circle relative to both local airports. Each one would get an expired sectional donated by the FBO as a souvenier of the flight.

When I get in the airplane before engine start, I would show them the VOR indicator on the panel and let them know they would see it work when thew would the VOR on the right side of the airplane as we flew past. They all seemed to understand the "white upside-down ice cream cone" analogy in the middle of the circle when they looked for it out the window.

Back to the ONE that was uncomfortable. We flew past the VOR and that distracted him a bit. Then I started turning back to the practice area away from the Chattanooga class C airspace. Even with shallow turns and more rudder, the "OOH" sound would again be heard on the intercom.

The routine was to climb up high enough to get out the bumpy air into the clear air and show the difference in GPS ground speed and true airspeed. During this phase of the flight, the ones who really had the interest had a chance to fly the airplane. I would have them turn with the wind, show the air speed and ground speed numbers, and then into the wind and let them see the GPS ground speed was indeed slower. After that came slow flight for the descent, including a gentle power-off stall to prove that airplanes don't fall and are easily recovered. With an RV-9A, these are indeed non-event gentle stalls. There was no hands-on flying for the ONE. After the gentle stall, I got another "OH" from my young man in the right seat.

When I told him that we would be returning to the airport, he was relieved, but reminded me "no turns please". I told him that I needed to make one more turn to align with the runway and would make it a gentle turn. Since Collegedale is uncontrolled, I made the announcement on the radio for a long, straight-in approach and set up for the landing with no more complaints from the boy. He was joyful when I made a perfect landing with no bounce. He was also glad to be out of the airplane when we stopped at the FBO.

He never tried to do anything with the stick that was right in front of him. He also did not appear to have any symptoms that would warrant an immediate landing. I had hoped that he would see just how gentle an airplane ride could be and help to overcome his fear. Not everyone is cut out for flying.

While I've never had a seriously panicking passenger, I've had a few get sick before I could get us back on the ground. Of course I have the prerequisite "barf bags" at the ready, (complete with various airline logos!) but guess what - in the small space of our planes the smell can be pretty distracting. So, one of the things I do, besides trying to calmly assure the passengers about the return to the airport, is to quickly direct an air vent to my face to mitigate the "distraction". Definitely helps with that "fly the airplane first" thing!

Some decades ago I was going to take a couple of friends flying. They were both very experienced pilots, with much, much more experience than I had, and very good friends of mine. When I was reading the preflight briefing that I read to all passengers that I hadn't flown with before, they started laughing and making fun of it. I told them that I was going to do this and that we wouldn't fly until I finished it. They settled down, we flew and had an uneventful flight.

It's bothered me for a long time that I flew with them. Given their lack of attention to what I was telling them, there might have been a problem. I should have figured out a way to explain that they get one chance at the briefing and no briefing, no flight. Still, in that case it worked out okay.

One of the more subtle purposes of the briefing isn't mentioned. It's that normally I'm a mild-mannered person. As PIC I'm in charge and expect that passengers will respond accordingly. The briefing defines what I expect of them. The social rules change when we get in my plane. Everyone else that I've briefed has understood that subtext. But they didn't.

Dave

I was on approach to the Nut Tree on a Summer day and was experiencing a little turbulence, at about 100', a foreign student passenger behind me panicked and reached forward and began choking me with both hands. I pulled one hand off my throat (trouble swallowing for over a week) and somehow "splatted" his nose with my elbow. Other back seat passenger took him under control and I recovered from the slight unusual attitude and landed fairly smoothly.

But, by the time I got to the turnoff the adrenaline hit and I could barely taxi to a parking space. Took awhile for his nose to stop bleeding.

He sat right rear on the way back. ;)

My aerobatic instructor and friend told me a story when he gave a aerobatic lesson in a Cap-10. When they did the first spin the student froze and did not let go the stick or rudder... nothing helped and they were going down.. in the end my instructor punched him with the elbow in the face and then the student let go... from then on my instructor only gave aerobatic lessons in tandems if the students wore a tie (so he could grab this in emergencies)....

The student was not even mad at him and appologized for his reaction..

Back