What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't Drink Alodine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon455

Just a reminder about Alodine and contact with your skin.

I've worked with Alodine for many years, but never had a problem / exposure until yesterday------

Last night, I removed my gloves after alodining some empennage parts (which took about 30 minutes in total). I noticed I had a pin hole in my right glove when I saw the tip of my thumb had turned yellow (like when you've pealed a nice fresh and tasty minneola tangerine).

About 6-7 hours later I felt sick to my stomach and had fever/chills.

Since I never had a problem before and I was at home and there was low risk, I used some cheap latex gloves. I'm sure safety wire nicked them somewhere. Anyway, I've gone back to military chem suit gloves. Maybe overkill, but they're made of Viton Rubber (it says so on the cuff) which has excellent chemical resistance anything I've encountered in aviation. New (Old Stock) they're $2-$5 a pair at just about any Army Surplus store. (Gloves made of Viton from a civilian supplier can be very expensive).

Anyway - just a reminder - especially for you young guys who want a family. And yes I know alodine sucks for the environment and there are new products you can put some ice in and an umbrella on the edge and drink while sitting next to a pool. I encourage you to use them. However, I'm old and should already be dead so I'll stay with what I've got.

Anyway, this morning I looked up the MSDS from Bondrite and was a little shocked to read the "if skin contact" procedure.

Yes, it contains hexavalent chromium, which is really toxic and causes a whole laundry list of maladies in humans and many other living things. It is the stuff that got into the ground water in Hinkley, CA that made Erin Brockovich famous.

Alodine

When I started on my project I tried to get some alodine here and found out it is essentially banned for private use. I was of course wondering why these crazy Europeans didn't allow such a common substance widely used across all of America, and after a bit of investigation, it became pretty clear this was not the kind of thing you want in the lake where your kids swim.

I used prekote under akzo primer, and it seems to be sticking.

Hello Mickey,
Where can we get PreKote in Europe?
Here in NL they sell Pre-Kote wich doesnt seem to be the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back