What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What connector? AKA how to spend $40 and still not have it right?

Amazon-1

I did not buy the Van's wiring harness. I am now ready to wire my control sticks and need the connector that fits into the base of the sticks.

In the drawings (page 55-03) it shows it as a 12 pin molex though it does not call out a particular part number. I ordered four of those because they were cheap. When they came in, they were clearly way to big for the metal bracket on the base of the stick.

More research and a call to Van's and I figured out I needed MICRO Molex 3 connectors. I even used my micrometer and information from the Internet to ensure I got the right size. $10 each + some extra pins. Ordered!

Came in on the weekend and they don't fit either.

Does anyone know the size of the connector used in this application? The actual part number would be extra helpful.

thanks,

Call Stein Air, they make the factory harness for Vans and will have the exact mating part for you.

connector

Thanks, Chris.

I will do that. I did shop on the SteinAir website but they only show the larger Molex connectors. I'll give them a call when they open.

Hello Bruce

The molex part numbers for these two connectors are
Female :- 43025-1200
Male :- 43020-1200

You will obviously need to order the pins as well

I would have a root canal without anesthetic before attempting to crimp all the pins for two each of those micro molex fittings.

If I were doing my own stick wiring I'd either splice using dsubs (https://youtu.be/f8DCvBV2V4M) with a long service loop to remove stick as needed, or use better connectors (I'm a fan of Deutsch connectors - see thread here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156024).

Just my $.02

Totally agree, I hate Molex, especially the micro!

I see that the OP is talking about a Molex Micro-fit 3.0. For those complaining about those tiny pins, I can tell you that they are an absolute dream with the real (low volume) production crimper. I've done a whole lot of them upside down, backwards, eyes closed, half asleep...

Most things done without the right tool are a serious pain in the rear, sometimes with questionable results and repeatability.

I see that the OP is talking about a Molex Micro-fit 3.0. For those complaining about those tiny pins, I can tell you that they are an absolute dream with the real (low volume) production crimper. I've done a whole lot of them upside down, backwards, eyes closed, half asleep...

Most things done without the right tool are a serious pain in the rear, sometimes with questionable results and repeatability.

Scott - I suspect your eyeballs are a bit younger than mine. Seeing the buggers well is step 1. But I will admit the few I did were using a less than ideal tool. But even installed professionally (Stein-built harnesses) I've found them to be unreliable in use - vibration and moisture have both caused issues.

Scott - I suspect your eyeballs are a bit younger than mine. Seeing the buggers well is step 1. But I will admit the few I did were using a less than ideal tool.

Our eyeballs aren't so great. This is what you'll be greeted with as you enter our shop:

i-5SMqmTL-L.jpg

i-XqSnjBG-L.jpg

Back