What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Monoxide Detection

AirHound

Well Known Member
Anyone using a sensitive electronic monitoring device have any suggestions on a best one? Thank You!

Another vote for the Flight Data System unit--------when I was looking for a detector for the RV10, I found out that these units need a replacement sensor periodically------the FDS was the longest lasting and the cheapest to replace.

CO Detection

Thank you for the choices, I?d rather pick one of them than rely on the stick-on, color changing type.

Will any of them show trends? For example ppm changes which can be used to analyze cabin leakage during different phases of flight. Or, are they basically just real-time readouts and peak numbers-which work too?

Any common/unique CO activity associated with ELSA RV12?s in general? Or, expect 0 ppm if built to (ELSA) KAI specs?

Thank You
Doug in IL

Mine is connected to the G3X, I have an ongoing display of CO levels, and alerts above a certain level. I also installed the LED next to the test button on the panel.

The data stream is recorded in the G3X logs, and available for review in the data set (i.e. on download to savvyanalysis.com etc)

I really like the unit, have been very happy with it.

Would you hear the alarm buzzer on this unit if you were wearing an active noise reduction headset. You may or may not see the alarm light depending on where it is mounted. Generally RV pilots don?t tend to have too much panel real estate ahead of them.

The answer is yes. I have it mounted on the right side of the panel. It is not only loud, it has a flashing light and read out. Works fine. We discovered my buddy?s Cessna 150 had an exhaust leak.

Aithre

Would you happen to know if the Aithre will connect with ANY of the Advanced Flight System EFIS, or just the newer ones..? My AFS is a little older (3400 series, one standard screen and one synthetic vision screen)....just wondered if the older software supports this...thanks in advance.

Best to check

Would you happen to know if the Aithre will connect with ANY of the Advanced Flight System EFIS, or just the newer ones..? My AFS is a little older (3400 series, one standard screen and one synthetic vision screen)....just wondered if the older software supports this...thanks in advance.

Brian - I do not know. Best to check with them. They did respond very quickly and were super helpful when I had questions.

webinar on CO

I've got this one as well in my RV8. I tested to make sure it works with candles, car exhaust, and it trigged once that I can recall when I was waiting to line up with wind at my back. It seems to work well. Normally it shows 0, which is what I want. I power it on for the calibration step after moving the aircraft out of the hanger with the canopy open and of course engine off.

I just saw an EAA webinar (https://eaa.org/Videos/Webinars#) with faast credit about CO and it was scary - both the story the presenter told, and the fact that he says his CO detector "only" runs at a constant 20 now after repairing his exhaust system. If mine showed anything above zero during normal operations I'd be looking for leaks.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too persnickety, but CO has caused many pilots to have a very bad day.

Back