What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Awesome new headset! CQ1 from Card Machine Works

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
I?ve had the privilege of flying with a new in-the-ear headset for a few months. It was designed after years of frustration with the offerings from the two established in-ear headset manufacturers. The best part is that the CQ1 is manufactured and marketed within the VAF family; Tanya and Scott Card. I?m not sure what CQ stands for, but in my mind it?s Card Quality. Card Machine Works is now a paid advertiser on the site, headsets are now for sale, and I feel like I can out them. I get extremely energized by watching people identify problems and create solutions. It's even better when we all benefit from the results!

I?ve been flying with the CQ1 for a few months. The noise cancelling microphone makes a huge difference in the quality of communication and the speakers have the quality to match. Right after Christmas I made my first IMC approach into the LA area. it was such a relief to have consistent clear communication capability without having to mess with my headset. The kids in the back seat don?t comply with the sterile cockpit rule, so the headset mike has to do double duty filtering out airplane noise and kids excited about arriving at Disneyland. Communication with SoCal approach and the tower was never a problem.

The CQ1 is visually similar to some other offerings, but one touch or a closer inspection reveal the enormous differences. The differences are even more obvious at first use. The frame is more robust and stays where you put it. The cables are high quality with a Kevlar core. The controls are simply amazing! No more finding the tiny sweet spot in the volume knob that allows both speakers to work simultaneously! The mike is fundamental game changer with its noise cancelling capability. It stays EXACTLY where you put it with no spring back. There?s no auxiliary input, that feature is easily addressed by simple adapters and most intercoms and audio panels have wired and / or Bluetooth inputs anyway.

My fear is that this post reads like an advertisement. It?s not; I am however excited about the product and what its creators have done. I like it well enough that we have bought a second CQ1 for my pilot wife. I own two Bose A-20s because they?re quality, they fit the kids, and they will for years. I own a Lightspeed Zulu II which was an expensive failed experiment. Quality is good, but they interfere with sunglasses and hats, and they clamp my dainty ears; a fault they share with the Bose. I have primarily flown with the Quiet Technologies headset because it?s more comfortable than anything that clamps my head. It was also fickle, temperamental, and of mediocre quality. I have tested all 4 headsets back-to-back and Tanya and Scott?s CQ1 offering is the best, hands down.

I find in-the-ear headsets quieter than ANR in RVs, especially when glasses and hats are in the mix to break the seal with my head. I can hear the cancelling feature in ANR headsets and find it tiring and a bit nauseating. There was a post here recently about that, so I'm not the only one. Ear tips and ear plugs are a very personal thing. They also have to be inserted correctly to work. I roll my own using Howard Leight earplugs because they work well for me. I think Card Machine Works have a few other suggestions. I use the same basic plugs for flying, motorcycling, woodworking, machine work, and even at my day job at times. It?s on my list to make a video describing my process. Now that I?ve stated that publicly, maybe I?ll follow through.

Here's a link to their website. There is much more detailed information there. https://cqheadset.com/

Here's a photo:
CQ1-600x456.png

Here's a photo of one on my ugly mug. I've since refined the positioning on my head.
i-3LVxvsz-L.jpg

CQ Headset

Well, I had posted this before but I will say it again. If you are looking for a step up with an in the ear headset you will not be disappointed with the CQ1. It is all I have been flying with some time. Yesterday went out and did gentleman's aerobatics (Loops, rolls, split s, etc) pulling up to 4 G's and once I was headed home noticed I did not have to adjust my headset and more importantly adjust the boom mic. It works in the G environment and is very comfortable on XC as well. Really a fine improvement!

Do the speakers provide any special processing (available for hearing aids) to improve speech intelligibility for those of use with various frequency range deficiencies?

Wow, thanks Guy for such kind and considered comments about the CQ Headset, and then to back it up with an order for a second headset!

We have been a part of the community for over a decade and have shared many of our RV adventures. All those hours in the air to far away lands or just for a few minutes of drilling holes in the sky involve a headset on the head, preferably one that you love instead of one that you've had to settle for. We have been in search of the CQ1 for many years and are excited to share it with our community.

Vs. QT Halos

Wow, how interesting. I've been flying with the QT Halos for several years now having found that they are better at noise suppression (and much, much cheaper) than my Zulus. I've been happy with them with minor issues but overall love them. So talk me into why I should try these? What are the specifics that make them better than the Halos. I seem to recall the Cards used Halos for quite a while also.

CQ Headset

Just got off the phone with Tanya and purchased a set. I look forward to seeing how they work in my little bird! These will replace my David Clarks.

Wow, how interesting. I've been flying with the QT Halos for several years now having found that they are better at noise suppression (and much, much cheaper) than my Zulus. I've been happy with them with minor issues but overall love them. So talk me into why I should try these? What are the specifics that make them better than the Halos. I seem to recall the Cards used Halos for quite a while also.

Hi Bryan!

Whether you try them or not is certainly up to you! :) I was just trying to relay a positive experience. I don't have financial interest in the CQ1, but I do consider the Cards friends and am impressed with what they've done.

My wife and I have used QT Halos and been relatively happy with them since 2007. I didn't realize how much the issues bothered me until I tried something better. I completely agree with you about them having better noise suppression than Zulus. Noise suppression between the Halos and the CQ1 is the same from my perspective. I think Scott and Tanya have flown with QT Halos and Clarity Aloft for years. That's why they gave up and designed their own.

Here are the problems I have had with QT Halos that the CQ1 addresses:
  1. The Halos have terrible potentiometers for volume. They need to be cleaned every 6 months or you loose sound in one or both ears unless the volume knob is precisely in that day's sweet spot.
  2. The Halos have a very noise susceptible microphone that breaks squelch if you point an air vent at your face or chest.
  3. The Halos have a short microphone boom that places the microphone to the side of your mouth, further reducing clarity.
  4. The Halo mike is never where you put it or where you want it. The CQ1 mike boom stays exactly where you put it. In front of your mouth, with no spring back.
  5. The CQ1 has a much stiffer frame that stays where you put it.
  6. The CQ1 has durable Kevlar reinforced cables and robust clips to clip them to your shirt/seat-belts.
  7. Intangibles: Everything about the Halo feels weak and cheap. The CQ1 addresses that. The importance of this is hard to quantify, but it matters to me.

I've been using my Halos for roughly four years, I think. When I bought my RV-12, it came with a Bose A20 -- tried those and kept using the Halos, so that says a lot for them. Just to convey my own experience with them...
  1. Potentiometers - I haven't had any issues at all with mine over the past 4 years. I only need to adjust them occasionally, but they've been trouble-free for me. And trust me, I'd gripe if it was a problem. I'm picky.
  2. Microphone - My Halos seem about the same as the Bose A20 in this respect. I don't have a steerable air vent (RV-12 driver), but adjusting the intercom squelch is an annoyingly frequent task. I'd love to find a better mic.
  3. Microphone boom - This has not seemed to be an issue for me, but it wouldn't hurt to have it an inch longer.
  4. "Spring back" - I haven't noticed this at all. I put the mic in position, it stays there.
  5. The CQ1 has a much stiffer frame - One reason I am glad I picked the Halos over Clarity Aloft is that their frame was uncomfortable as heck. It was way too stiff and dug into the back of my admittedly over-sized noggin. I'm not sure "stiffer" is a good thing in my case.
  6. Kevlar reinforced cables and robust clips - now, THAT would be a big plus. My biggest gripe about the Halos has been the long, thin, floppy cord that gets tangled around shoes and everything else. I stepped on my clip and broke it, and QT has no replacements -- he said just buy some cheap clips on Amazon. Well, I did, and as expected they are cheap clips that I end up replacing every few months.
  7. Everything about the Halo feels weak and cheap - I'm not going to argue with that. A little more robust construction would be good. I have had ZERO problems with my Halos, but they do "feel" a little flimsy. Certainly not enough so to justify replacing them (with more expensive headsets) if they're not broken.

Having said all of that... if I were in the market for new headsets right now, and given the frequent difficulties with lead times in getting the Halos, I'd definitely give the CQ1 a look. Personally I'd want to try them on first. The CA looked great, but I couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes. Fortunately they were also way overpriced.

I also wonder if, due to the hand-built, low volume nature of the Halos, how much "the same" they all are. If the materials very much from batch to batch, it can make a big difference. If you and I have the same model of David Clamps or Lightspeeds bought a couple years apart, I'd bet our headsets are identical. If we have Halos bought a couple years apart -- well, maybe, maybe not. And it wouldn't take much to go from "just right" to "too floppy" on things like the microphone boom.

Here are the problems I have had with QT Halos that the CQ1 addresses:
  1. The Halos have terrible potentiometers for volume. They need to be cleaned every 6 months or you loose sound in one or both ears unless the volume knob is precisely in that day's sweet spot.
  2. The Halos have a very noise susceptible microphone that breaks squelch if you point an air vent at your face or chest.
  3. The Halos have a short microphone boom that places the microphone to the side of your mouth, further reducing clarity.
  4. The Halo mike is never where you put it or where you want it. The CQ1 mike boom stays exactly where you put it. In front of your mouth, with no spring back.
  5. The CQ1 has a much stiffer frame that stays where you put it.
  6. The CQ1 has durable Kevlar reinforced cables and robust clips to clip them to your shirt/seat-belts.
  7. Intangibles: Everything about the Halo feels weak and cheap. The CQ1 addresses that. The importance of this is hard to quantify, but it matters to me.

I concur with all these comments, except that I haven't yet tried the CQ1. I liked the comfort of the QT but always had to put the mic to my mouth when talking or transmitting and tower always complained about clarity (I assume due to the mic not filtering noise very well). If your plane has mufflers, the QTs may work fine. No complaints since I went to the A20.

Last edited:

Well, it looks like Guy beat me to the punch while I was out at lunch.

Bryan,
You are correct that we had been using various in-the-ear headsets for quite a long time. That experience is the reason for the CQ1. We've been wishing for and working on something much better in many ways that we're finally able to share. A headset is an incredibly personal thing. One kind or detail will never please everybody. If you are happy with your halo that is great and I really wouldn't want to sell you something else. If you find yourself in search of something better, we try to make it very low risk for you to give a CQ1 a try. I'll make no claim that we're a David Clark or Bose stamping out tens of thousands of headsets at a time, but we have every intent of being "IN STOCK" and responsive to customers.

The CQ1 is a fresh start with a keen eye on quality and resolution of shortcomings in the existing market. From airframe connector cables that are TPU jacketed and kevlar cored, a clean circuit design, a high quality volume pot that just feels right compared to a finicky ten cent disk pot, to headset wire that is also TPU jacketed and kevlar cored with the right memory retention properties that we want (doesn't get waded up in a twisted ball and look like junk), to a stiff but flexible frame that we believe is superior without being too rigid, to very high quality balanced armature receivers (speakers) that we've painstakingly selected specifically for our application, to a refined packaging and assembly process for these critical components, and finally, an expensive boom mic that we believe is far superior, both mechanically and in it's noise reduction properties in our high noise environments, compared to anything else that might look similar. Oh, and yes, we even have a cable clip with positive cable retention that isn't $.02c out of a gumball machine :).

The CQ1 was not conceived of for the purpose of huge sales. We all know the aviation axiom about that. But rather to be precisely what Tanya and I wanted to fly with, with superior components and construction. It isn't intended to be every person's headset, but we're happy to be able to share if you think it might be for you.

Bryan, I have your private contact and am happy to continue to chat there.
Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:
DaleB,
It sounds like you too have identified many of the compromises that we've sought to resolve. To be clear, we also have over a decade of active experience with the clarity aloft product and the things we didn't like about it, including it's solid frame. The CQ1 is NOT anything like that.

I was an early adopter of the Halo headsets. Over the years I have purchased four of them, and for my airplane, a F1 rocket, they are almost a necessity. There really is not much headroom with the way I have my seat positioned.
Although I have been a fan of the halo they are not built that well and I have sent each of them back for repairs at one time or another.
I am looking forward to the new CQ1 that I have just ordered! I may have some halos for sale.....

CQ1

I have the same question as BillL any help for high frequency loss? Been using Halos for 6 yrs or so, same observations as noted. Thanks!

Excellent Product

I had the opportunity to fly in an RV9A this weekend for the first time (and first time in an RV!). One of the first things I noticed during the Run Up was how quiet the 160HP engine was compared to similar engine 172?s I?ve flown in the past. Then it was pointed out that the engine wasn?t quite at all, it was the headset!

Being a tall pilot in an RV, it was very unobtrusive and the engine noise cancelling was incredible! I was sold immediately

I've used Halos and currently using the Clarity aloft for over 10 years.
I have had problems with the Halo volume controls. The mic is OK but the CA seems a bit better.

However on all of the in-ear headsets, the ear plugs are my biggest complaint. Those yellow ones just don't cut it for me! The CA plugs are just plain hard! Totally uncomfortable.

I found these: http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max.
I find them much softer and far (noticeably so) quieter than anything the current manufacturers provide.

I literally make my own earplugs from these. I heat up a small wire (cheap hangers from the cleaners work great), poke a hole, and insert the tubes I pull out of the Halo headsets.
For the short CA screw-in plugs, I literally insert a Halo tube into the CA plug, and cut it to the correct length for the earplugs.

I suggest the Cards (and Halo and CA) take a close look at these as a possible option. You won't be disappointed.

I've used Halos and currently using the Clarity aloft for over 10 years.
I have had problems with the Halo volume controls. The mic is OK but the CA seems a bit better.

However on all of the in-ear headsets, the ear plugs are my biggest complaint. Those yellow ones just don't cut it for me! The CA plugs are just plain hard! Totally uncomfortable.

I find them much softer and far (noticeably so) quieter than anything the current manufacturers provide.

I literally make my own earplugs from these. I heat up a small wire (cheap hangers from the cleaners work great), poke a hole, and insert the tubes I pull out of the Halo headsets.
For the short CA screw-in plugs, I literally insert a Halo tube into the CA plug, and cut it to the correct length for the earplugs.

I suggest the Cards (and Halo and CA) take a close look at these as a possible option. You won't be disappointed.

You are so correct that ear tip opinions are incredibly individual and we intend to talk a LOT more about ear tips. We have all kinds of "diy" suggestions and critical parts in the works to augment the info that is already widely available. Equally, the leight max plugs that you like, others will find are quite a bit too big and uncomfortable in their ears. Some like a firmer tubing attach "handle", others want it completely soft. We have been, and continue, to spend a lot of time and money evaluating different materials in the neighborhood of ear tips...

Last edited:
This sound great! I haven?t used this type of headset, but I have used the Communication Ear Plugs in my Army helmet. This looks like a great solution for the RV and you gotta love that comes from someone in our community!

I

Hmmm, I make my own too. I have to try the hot wire method. I compress the plug axially to a small disc then use a leather punch to make the hole. Remove the plug and after they are expanded insert an awl and roll until it expands the hole and insert a recovered Halo tube with some super glue. My challenge is to keep the hard tube recessed a 16th of so to keep it from painful contact in my ear during insertion. I am only on my second set so, the process is far from refined.

It sure would be nice to eliminate this process, but have no guidance for the perfect product.

This sound great! I haven’t used this type of headset, but I have used the Communication Ear Plugs in my Army helmet. This looks like a great solution for the RV and you gotta love that comes from someone in our community!

Ah....another winter project. :)

I use the Communication ear plugs the Army helo drivers use when I fly the biplane. I ordered a bag of the Howard Leight Max foam earplugs and will attempt modifying them to work with the Army system.

I just received my set today. I will give it a try in a few days when the weather clears up a bit. The headset does not use the same speaker system (CEP) I used under my Army helmet. The CEP system is a small speaker with a soft Comply ear tip that was connected to the helmet.

I will say the CQ1 headset is very lightweight and comfortable sitting in my house.

Hmmm, I make my own too. I have to try the hot wire method. I compress the plug axially to a small disc then use a leather punch to make the hole. Remove the plug and after they are expanded insert an awl and roll until it expands the hole and insert a recovered Halo tube with some super glue. My challenge is to keep the hard tube recessed a 16th of so to keep it from painful contact in my ear during insertion. I am only on my second set so, the process is far from refined.

It sure would be nice to eliminate this process, but have no guidance for the perfect product.

I don't care for the foam plugs so I've been using Shure EATFL1-6 - Triple Flange instead on my Clarity Aloft set for 4 years. The triple flange plugs fit the CA headset perfectly, last quite a long time and are easy to clean. They work for me ...

I don't care for the foam plugs so I've been using Shure EATFL1-6 - Triple Flange instead on my Clarity Aloft set for 4 years. The triple flange plugs fit the CA headset perfectly, last quite a long time and are easy to clean. They work for me ...

Yep, that is an option. I must say, I've been surprised at how many people like the triple flange (not a lot, but enough). We'll end up carrying some, but it won't be my first recommendation. It has the least noise attenuation of just about any other ear tip. It just goes to show how unique every person and ear are.

Yep, that is an option. I must say, I've been surprised at how many people like the triple flange (not a lot, but enough). We'll end up carrying some, but it won't be my first recommendation. It has the least noise attenuation of just about any other ear tip. It just goes to show how unique every person and ear are.

Many folks say custom-molded earplugs similarly provide less attenuation than soft foam plugs. As Scott said, everybody is different. My molded plugs fit very well and attenuate noise as well as the yellow Etymotic plugs. And they last forever in my oily ears.

Yup, everybody is different!

custom mold experience

I tried two sets of custom molded ear plugs with my Lightspeeds back in the day. The second set was an attempt to correct an issue with the first set - it didn't.

Seems my ear canal changes shape so much with the position of my jaw that it completely changes the fit of the seal. My option was to fly with my jaw clenched all the time on set one, or have ear canal pain when I did so on set two, which was purposely molded with my jaw in a more relaxed position than the first attempt. The audiologist and I were both discouraged by this, but it was what it was and I ended up selling the Lightspeeds.

So when I get my Card headset, I'm sure it will be soft compliant foam ear tips for me, not molded silicone.

My son made me a 3D printed holder for the plugs I use (doing by hand was very inconsistent). I put the pin in a drill press, center the plug under the pin, heat the pin with my Bernz-O-Matic torch, and then poke it through. I immediately insert the tube, and the hole is gooey enough that it stays put with no glue needed. Pretty easy to keep the tube from going too far. Been doing this for many years.

I applaud the Cards for their new product. Next time I need a headset, I will certainly give them a try.

Very close to giving these a shot, but the lack of a dedicated music input gives me pause. Yes, the ship's intercom has a music input but my wife and I have distinctly different tastes in music. At home we can strike a balance, but when flying I like really hardcore metal and industrial to keep me awake... she does NOT appreciate this form of music EVER.

Have not explored the various adapters mentioned in the OP, but wondering if they have the same priority muting that my Lightspeeds have? If so, then my issue is likely resolved.

Can anybody advise a work around or perhaps this feature is coming on CQ1 2.0?

Not sure if the Bluetooth adapters from Crazed Pilot would accomplish what you are looking for but they do allow each headset to be connected to a different Bluetooth link. I use one to link the Foreflight audio into my headset. I have also connected one to a separate ipad for that person to listen to music.

Bluetooth Headset Interface for ForeFlight & Garmin Pilot AUDIO ALERTS
https://www.crazedpilot.com/bluetooth-headset-interface-for-foreflight-garmin-pilot-audio-alerts/

This adapter for a hard connection might also work:

Music Player Adapter for Pilot Headset (Aircraft)
https://www.crazedpilot.com/music-player-adapter-for-pilot-headset-aircraft/

there are several other solutions like these out there as well.

-larosta

Can anybody advise a work around or perhaps this feature is coming on CQ1 2.0?

Michael,
I'm actively working on a lot of ideas, but I can tell you that music input integrated into the headset isn't one of them right now. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat, but I understand your hesitation.
We have a unit here for you if you do decide to give it a try.

Independent volumue control

I would like to suggest independent volume control for each side as a future feature. I have hearing loss, more in the left than the right. It would be great to control the volume independently for each side.

For those of you thinking about this headset let me say it is incredibly comfortable. The mic stays where you put it and your head is no longer stuck in a vise. Add to that the additional clearance from the canopy so no more scrapping the canopy when I turn my head.

But just as important as producing a product that works, the Cards also provide excellent customer service! Many companies produce good solutions and some also provide great customer service. My experience with CMW proved to me they do both.

Scott, thanks for the kind words.

I would like to suggest independent volume control for each side as a future feature. I have hearing loss, more in the left than the right. It would be great to control the volume independently for each side.

There is balance control on the board to allow for non-symmetrical volume output when in stereo mode. It just requires popping off the back of the control box and a little twist of the balance pot to set it just the way someone wants it.

Last edited:
Hear ye, hear ye!

The noise level in my 7A cabin is so high that I not only use Bose A20?s, I first stuff in foam ear plugs, and I also slide foam wedges over my sunglasses temple arms ro create an unbroken seal for the Bose earcup. The Bose ANR technology and crystaI clear amplification make this possible. It is a bit more of a pre-start ritual than I care for, but the only way I have found to prevent tinnitis after long flights.

It is difficult for me to imaging ANY in-ear solution to even come close to the brute force dB reduction I obtain this way, and I cannot imagine flying with less without causing gradual hearing loss. What am I missing here?- Otis

Give them a try and find out!

It is difficult for me to imaging ANY in-ear solution to even come close to the brute force dB reduction I obtain this way, and I cannot imagine flying with less without causing gradual hearing loss. What am I missing here?- Otis

I'm one of those converts who flew ANRs for 14+ years until Scott shoved one of these in my face and said "Here, fly these to Oshkosh and let me know what you think!"

Now I would not be inclined to go back to my big, bulky (and sweaty in the Texas summer!) ANRs.

However, you MUST have the eartips inserted properly for the noise reduction to work. There are a couple of helpful Youtube videos on how to get them right. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get good at it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they work, and how much more conformable you are in the airplane.

Their return policy is very generous, so if you are the least bit curious about all the hoopla, I'd say give them a try! You can always send them back if you don't like them.

Well, the music adapter device seems to be a low cost partial solution, but apparently it does not feature priority muting. My long cross country trips are almost always using flight following and coincidentally are the flights where I listen to music... Inconvenient conflict right there.

On the other hand, the times I find the Lightspeeds inconvenient is formation and aerobatics, and since I dont listen to music on these missions pehaps I just keep both types around and select the most "mission appropriate".

From a consumer perspective, external audio input should be a standard feature on ANY new headset design, IMHO.

Way to try

My wife is asking for a new headset. She likes my Lightspeed Zulus. She tried them and likes them. But she wants a headset that doesn't mess up hair doos.
these in-ears look great for that requirement.

I wish there was a way to try them so she could see if they work for her. Will they be at any shows this year were they can be tried?

thanks

How long are the cords from the headset to the controller and the controller to the jacks?

This is my first post on VAF. I?ve had a pair of CQ 1?s for a couple of weeks now flying in a spam can while starting my rv7 build. For those of your who have hearing issues and have questions. I have issues in both ears with loss and tinnitus. I also wear hearing aids but find them difficult and uncomfortable to use with over-the-ear headsets. I can tell you my experience with the CQ 1?s is as stark of a change as it was when I switched from passive to ANR. The CQ?s deliver a very clear voice signal direct to my ear without all the external background noise. Simply put they?re amazingly clear! Personally I wouldn?t trade these for even the most expensive over-the-ear ANR?s. The addition of Bluetooth music is not of concern to me, there are other ways to achieve getting music through my intercom panel. Of utmost importance to me is voice communication to my hearing challenged ears. In my opinion you will not be disappointed if you decide to try these out. For those who are located in the San Diego area. If you are on the fence or interested contact me through VAF and we?ll make arrangements to meet up so you can check them out. Besides it gives me a chance to meet more people in the local RV community.

Let me just end with this. When it comes to customer service CMW is head and shoulders above all others in my opinion. After purchasing my headset Tanya reached out to make sure I wasn?t having any problems with headset or fitting the ear tips for a proper seal. She also reached out again when a suspected problem popped up to make sure if I was to have a problem we?d get it resolved quickly. When was the last time you?ve had a company do something like this? The personal touch is most certainly noted and appreciated!

I haven?t had the opportunity to meet Scott & Tayna yet. Hopefully in time I will. Until then, I just want to say thanks!

Guy,

Are you interested in getting rid of your failed Lightspeed II experiment? I am interested in another set for the right price.

Headset

I've tried just about all headsets in the last 50 plus years in everything from single seat to airline aircraft. I waited two months and several flights to pass judgement on the Cards headset. I'm very pleased, I have a lot more head room. I can use more than a one inch cushion in my RV, the sound is great and the mic is the best. It takes a little practice to get the foam ear pices correct, but once you do it correctly, you won't go back to the heavy headset. My wife likes them because her hair doesn't interfere.

My wife is asking for a new headset. She likes my Lightspeed Zulus. She tried them and likes them. But she wants a headset that doesn't mess up hair doos. These in-ears look great for that requirement.

I wish there was a way to try them so she could see if they work for her. Will they be at any shows this year were they can be tried?

Steve, in-the-ear headsets are great for not 'mussing' up hair. We are not intending to have a vendor booth, but we will be at Oshkosh and are always happy to talk or show off headsets.

How long are the cords from the headset to the controller and the controller to the jacks?

The cord from the headset to the controller is about 4 1/2 feet, and the controller to the jacks is about 10 inches. The machinist just approached me with a micrometer, but I don't have the 10X Loupe handy to read it. :D

Got to test fly my new headset today. I?ve got a pretty loud cabin, especially during takeoff and climb out.

I?ve got a set of Bose X that are going on 10 years old and could probably use a refresh. I debated getting some A20s to replace them but holy cow they?re expensive.

These things are great. Better noise reduction than I get from my ANR headset for sure. I?m going to take the wife up and have her try mine out and we?ll probably buy her a set as well.

I?d also like to see a Bluetooth option in the headset electronics for music in the future. I?ve got a mono audio panel (music quality reduced) and have the same situation with differing music tastes for cruising than my wife.

Customer service is top notch, and I?d recommend these for both the product and the company to anyone that?s asking.

I understand. I have an original Lightspeed Zulu and a Zulu 2 factory upgraded to a 3 and really like them. I could use another one for passengers in my Cessna 182. i have passive David Clark?s for now.

I have never been able to get used to sticking anything in my ear. I dislike ear plugs and ear buds. The only ear attachment I tolerate are Bose?s silicon ?butterflies? used in some of their ear buds. They don?t really stick into the ear, but rather hold on the the ridges of the ear lobe. Anything that sticks further in is very uncomfortable for me.

Discounts for VAF members?

Wow, sounds great and I'm tempted to buy [yet another headset]! Too bad I didn't hear about this until now. I just spent $900 for a DC-One-X, which in general I'm very happy with for normal flying, but for aerobatics, the weight of it makes it move around too much. I have the Clarity Aloft headset and it's very good, but is not adjustable and doesn't fit well around my head. I need to use velcro to stick it to the back of my cap which is a bit annoying.

So... now I'm tempted to give this one a try. Any discounts to help nudge me in that direction?? ;)

Back