What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft control grips pirep

bwestfall

Well Known Member
I've been contemplating what stick grips to use in my project lately and had been impressed with the quality and look of the walnut stick grips from aircraftcontrolgrips.com. I think they are a thing of beauty but my interior is primarily black and silver so I thought the standard stain would not look as good as a grayish tint. I recently contacted Guy George, the owner, to inquire about his walnut control grips and if he'd ever stained them in gray.

He said that gray doesn't come out well on walnut but he had done a set in maple wood and sent me a picture of them. He said he had some maple left and could make a set for me for a small increase in price due to the more costly wood stock.

I went ahead and purchased a set and he had them shipped to me in less than 2 weeks from the time we emailed. I think they came out looking great. They certainly cost more than other alternatives but I like not only the look but the quality of construction and the buttons seems much better than cheaper alternatives. Obviously they are not yet installed but they hangar fly real well :).

I cannot say enough about my dealings with Greg. He seems like a super nice guy and was a joy to do business with.

Picture below.

control_grips.jpg

No affiliation with Guy whatsoever just thought I'd show off his work.

Last edited:
With 100+ hrs on my -10 and the traditional walnut wood grips from Guy, I can say they hangar fly, and actually fly, very well! I've had no issues whatsoever and as Ben said, dealing with Guy was a pleasure. The grips are so nice that I decided to buy walnut wood and make interior panels and trim prices to tie in the interior. The price could be a little easier to swallow but you can't put a price on the pleasure I get looking at them and controlling the airplane with them :D

pigtail wiring

Thanks for posting this,I never heard of AircraftstickGrip before and they are a thing of beauty..

How long were the wiring pigtails provided?

I was thinking Infinity but these looks much better.

The pigtails on mine are about 26". It's a PVC jacketed, unshielded wire with 10 conductors. I'm sure if you worked with Guy directly he'd make them whatever length you want. Wire on mine can be found here:

http://www.alphawire.com/Home/Products/Cable/Alpha-Essentials/Communication-and-Control-Cable/1180C

Stick Grip

Hi Ben

Thank you for the info. It should be long enough for a typical RV-4 stick.

I will most likely go for the 5 buttons one.

Now I just have to figure out how to wire the thing. :)

Thanks again

Bruno
[email protected]

Back