What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-10 Panel

It is carbon fiber. I'm not sure if it's a veneer or solid (eagerly waiting to find out), but the samples they sent me lead me to believe it's the latter.

539_4372771531373_693168032_n.jpg

Thanks for the great folks at Aerotronics, I’d like to present to you my panel for the RV-10.

We’ve been working on this for the past 18 months and I’m really happy with the final results. I got exactly what I wanted with regards to equipment, a professional layout, and the Aerotronics team was able eclipse my expectations with regards to functionality and resiliency. Some of their ideas for the design of the electrical system and integration of the components exceeded what I would have been able to come up with if I had rolled my own panel. So I’m a very happy customer.

The electrical system is dual buss/dual alternator/dual battery. The primary displays are the Garmin G3X with the GPS and XM options. I have a Dynon D6 that is backing it up for a rainy day. The audio panel is a PS Engineering 8000 BT. The GPS is the Garmin GTN-750. The second NAV/COM is a Garmin SL-30. The transponder is a remotely mounted (controlled through the G3X) Garmin GTX23 ES. The autopilot is the Garmin GX Pilot.

The Dynon has a backup battery in it and we went ahead and put a TCW battery on the second DC input of the G3X too. All of the critical pieces of gear are attached to both busses. I’m very happy with it from a resiliency perspective.

At OSH this year, Garmin announced their GDL-88 ADS-B system that can be plugged in to the GTN750. So this panel is pre-wired for the GDL-88 system. The GDL 88 is not available yet, but when it becomes available we’re ready to go by simply plugging it in. This will give me the ability to display TIS traffic / XM weather on the G3X display while simultaneously displaying ADB traffic/weather on the GTN750. The idea is to use both over the short-term and when I’m satisfied with ADS-B coverage, I can get rid of the XM subscription all together.

A few other things about the panel, it’s has a built in CO detector. It also uses an AN-21 annunciator system (that’s what is driving the small annunciator LED’s on top). Also it includes the control head for a 4-Place oxygen system.

Needless to say, I’m really happy with how the entire panel turned out and the functionality/resiliency/modularity that it offers. This wasn’t the easiest process for Aerotronics as I was wanting to do some unique things such as the burl woodgrain, but they worked with me all the way through the process and I think we ended up with a custom panel that we can both be proud of.

Geoff Combs of Aerosport Products also deserves a word of thanks too for providing an attractive panel option for the RV-10.

A higher resolution image can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbdc6wbvkbsetlf/Perry_Panel.jpg

Last edited:
The autopilot is the Garmin GX Pilot that can be coupled to either the G3X or the GTN750.

Nice panel but I want to make something clear to folks that may be planning a similar setup:

The GX Pilot can only couple to external ARINC sources if both the GPSS and GPSV labels are active and valid. This only happens when on an active approach with vertical guidance so basically it won't follow the GPS flight-plan in this mode.

Otherwise the GX pilot can only use the 750 as a ground track source over a RS232 serial port, it won't follow the GPS flight-plan in this mode.

With all of that said, it does however have the ability to fly ground track and altitude hold so it makes for an effective backup if the day goes South.

The TT GX pilot has some benefits and some disadvantages vs the TT DFII VSGV.

All of this is based on my interpretation of information provided by the people that make the GX pilot. There may be an error in my understanding.

Last edited:
Why is that a problem? If you have ALT hold and ground track information, then that is really all you need to fly any non-precision approach. If you have a precision approach, then you have vertical guidance to couple with the ground track.

It'll fly any approach you want to throw at it. If you're enroute, then you just dial your new desired altitude. It's pretty simple to fly.

However the second GPS input is only there as an emergency option. If it's there, then it's worth wiring up and having that option ready to go when you need it.

Phil

It is not a problem, just different from the way most people used the DF II VSGV on which the GX pilot is based. People need to know the difference when planning so they don't think they are getting something they are not.

People need to know what they are going to be left with if the G3X goes tipup.

With some other EFIS's and the DF II VSGV if the EFIS fails, you flip the "ARINC" source switch and set back and let your 750 do the rest. You still get full GPS steering all the way to the MAP and even to the hold if you go missed.

With the G3X and the GX pilot, you flip the "Track" source switch and twist knobs on the GX pilot to get you established on the final approach course. If you also install an "ARINC" source switch, once the vertical guidance comes in, you can enable EFIS mode on the GX pilot to let your 750 guide the GX pilot down the approach.

If your approach gets downgraded or the approach does not have vertical guidance, you are stuck twisting knobs on the GX pilot to fly the approach because the EFIS mode won't enable.

Now....if your G3X fails, your setup will not fly "any approach you want to throw at it". It will not fly Localizer based approaches and it will not fly GPS based approaches with no vertical guidance which includes if you get downgraded. It will however like you said provide altitude hold/VS mode and fly in track mode so you can use it's knob to steer it around but that is not a true coupled approach.

I agree that having the alternate track source hooked up is a good thing to do and I have the same switch planned for my panel upgrade but this switch is worthless if people don't understand how it works and how to use it in an emergency.

Sorry to hijack your post on your awesome panel. It is a work of art!

Last edited:
Okay. Now I understand what you're trying to say.

Yeah, we had that discussion and I was perfectly fine with letting the G3X drive the GX Pilot and relying on the 750 for a Tango-Uniform event. That's a scenario I was perfectly fine with.

Phil

Phil, will that burl woodgrain end at the panel or will you carry it onto more of the interior? My eyes are already whirling at what will undoubtedly be an awesome installation. Also, show a picture of the backside when you get it; the gang at Aerotronics makes that look almost as good as the front.

Will do Patrick. I'm likely going to shoot a video of the crate and all of the work behind it. Is yours powered up yet?

Most of the burl wood will stop at the panel, mainly because it's easy to go overboard with it. I'm kinda designing the interior as I go and am working on keeping everything tastefully balanced.

I thought about continuing it all the way down the center console, but that would just be too much. So I'm going to do something different on the center console.

However, I will likely include accents of the burl wood in various spots of the interior to keep everything together. For example, I will probably put some on the inserts of Geoff's interior panels and/or a kick-plate around the bottom of the doors.

Great work

Nice job on the layout Phil,

You are going to love that panel.

I'm jealous comparing your GTN750 to my 430w

I have 265 hours on mine and it works great. No problems with the GX pilot. Mine couples automatically to the IFR external and will flip over on its own to G3X if the external fails and the G3X will automatically show all the approach and turn into emer IFR mode. Really no need for the switch. I installed a switch before they came out with this software. I sometimes use internal and sometimes use external using the softkeys.

I might be able to help so let me know if you have any questions with the use or configuration of the avionics. I wired and configured mine.

Will do Patrick. I'm likely going to shoot a video of the crate and all of the work behind it. Is yours powered up yet?

No, it's sitting on my dining room table. I'm pretty busy what with Grad School and being a TA, so I probably won't get to touch my project again until the semester is over, around X-mas. But at least I get to drool over the panel daily.

Here's a small image (from my KitLog) of the back of my panel:
FP18092012A00015.jpg

Nice job on the layout Phil,

You are going to love that panel.

I'm jealous comparing your GTN750 to my 430w

I have 265 hours on mine and it works great. No problems with the GX pilot. Mine couples automatically to the IFR external and will flip over on its own to G3X if the external fails and the G3X will automatically show all the approach and turn into emer IFR mode. Really no need for the switch. I installed a switch before they came out with this software. I sometimes use internal and sometimes use external using the softkeys.

I might be able to help so let me know if you have any questions with the use or configuration of the avionics. I wired and configured mine.

The need for the switch comes in if the G3X fails.

Everything you mentioned above requires that the G3X be operating.

Your G3X fails and all of that magic software mumbo jumbo goes away.

My Completed RV-10 Instrument Panel

Here's my completed and installed panel in my RV-10. Specifications below. All work was performed by myself

WP_20130209_029_zps06590a80.jpg

AeroSport Products Symmetric RV10 Panel, Quadrant and Sidepanels
FrontPanelExpress.com custom CNC panel inserts

LEFT PANEL:
Advanced Flight Systems AF5600
Advanced Flight Systems AutoPilot
Mountain High Oxygen 4-ip
Gretz Aero Heated Pitot Status LEDs
TCW Tech Control Servo for Oil Cooler Valve

CENTER PANEL:
Garmin GTN750
PS Engineering PAR100EX
XM Radio Onyx Receiver

RIGHT PANEL:
Advanced Flight Systems AF5600
FData Systems GD-40 CO Detector LED
Alternate Static Air
MH Oxygen Bypass Oxygen switch
ACK-E04 ELT Remote Control

LOWER RIGHT PANEL:
PWM Dimmer for LED Switch Lighting
PWM Dimmer for Glareshield lighting
Servo rheostat control for front heat
Aerosport Products Naca Vent Controller

General items:
Honda S2000 starter push button
Aveo Engineering Air Vents
Aveo Engineering RockRack switches
Aerosport Products Flapswitch
Custom stick grips in Burlwood by CustomAircraftGrips.com
"Wood" items are Hydro dipped Aluminum and Plastic by HydroGraphicsInc.com
Rudder Pedals by Control Approach
Vertical Power VP-X Circuit Protection

Thanks everyone. It's been a ton of fun planning and executing on this vision. Obviously there are a number of suppliers that make this possible, but it's the vision I had of when I first saw the potential in the RV10.

more than wow

Leaves some of the commercial planes susch as the Cirrus SR22 for dead. Congratualtions

You've seen the panel before, but I finally got it into the airframe and the power circuits done. Plenty of red Xs due to nothing being connected yet, but the big step is done!

DSC01424.jpg

Very nice G900x panel. The only thing I don't like about this setup is that you can't get a big map screen in front of the pilot, but its a great system. You'll enjoy flying behind it. The VP-200 is my favorite part of the system. Such a shame thru discontinued their flagship product!

So I powered up my panel for the first time today. No smoke, no fire. While I did pay Stein to do the wiring schematic for me, I did all the wiring and built the harnesses myself (don't look behind the panel, it is a mess)

a46aea.jpg

I could even hear the AWOS over my headsets with my newly wired jacks!

Special thanks to David Buckwalter of Avionics Systems here in my home town, wealth of knowledge and always helped when I asked, Geoff Combs for the panel and cutouts, also never refused to take my calls and Stein for all his staffs support as well.

Final throws of panel wiring

Hi all,

I decided to post a link to my panel as it currently stands. It is getting to the final stretch for the panel fitting and I love the layout.

It could not have been achieved without the help of everyone here on the forums. Feedback was fantastic while I was sorting it out.

FP27082013A0000G.jpg

FP27082013A0000H.jpg

Panel layout:

1. Approach Fast stack Avionics Hub
  2. 2 x AFS 5500 with dual ADHRS
  3. PAR100EX
  4. Garmin GTN 650
  5. AFS Autopilot
  6. Trig Remote transponder
  7. VPX-Pro
  8. Winter 2.25" 20,000ft sensitive altimeter
  9. TruTrak 2.25" ADI
  10. UMA 2.25" Altimeter
  11. Rudder Trim
  12. Steinair Eyeball Vents
  13. FrontPanelExpress CNC and filled Panel
  14. Standard Jaycar switches and accessories
  15. Not shown: Whisky compass on support bar.

Hope you like. :)

The panel upgrade is complete and now I'm starting on the interior panels.
Here is a picture of the day I flew it home and now.
I really enjoy flying behind the new panel, and I think the Aerosport interior will make a huge difference.

Panel / Wiring complete

Just went under my panel for the last time.... hopefully
Everything seems to be working. Will see for sure next week when I am at the airport with the wings on.
14+-+2

RV10 panel progress

This is my first attempt at posting a picture on this site.

My panel is nearly complete. if this works I will post a pic of it completed with all the details

mls86h.jpg

Better late then never!

I never did get around to posting pics of my panel but I thought today was appropriate as it was also the first day the plane took flight! This is the panel for N102KT. The excellent folks at Aerotronics built it and they did a superb job. I can't recommend them highly enough. Excellent customer service, excellent support before and after completion of the panel, and excellent craftsmanship.

(The pic was taken prior to all everything being 100% complete)

odhe.jpg

Finished panel

After flying so many years with the old steam gages it will be very nice to fly a modern panel that I designed and built.

Dynon was used for most everything including autopilot, transponder, ASDB, and #2 com. I have a GTN650 and a PS engineering audio panel.

I wanted to put a 10" display on the far right but it wouldn't fit so my copilot got a 7".

2rzbcet.jpg

This is a recent upgrade to N345RD from dual AFS 3500's to a 3500 and a 5600 Touch. It's almost done. It's going to be great flying behind the 5600.

2123f4ecd4eaee5c36b79adb2adbb4a2_zpsb6a3421e.jpg

This is a recent upgrade to N345RD from dual AFS 3500's to a 3500 and a 5600 Touch. It's almost done. It's going to be great flying behind the 5600.

2123f4ecd4eaee5c36b79adb2adbb4a2_zpsb6a3421e.jpg

I've seen that beauty yesterday while touring
Jesse's RV Factory. Impressive.

New RV-10 Quick Panel for Christmas

Someone is going to have a good Christmas...

New RV-10 Quick Panel almost ready to ship. Two AF-5600T Touch Screens, PS Engineering Remote Audio Panel, ADSB,
Remote Mode S ES Transponder, D6 EFIS, GTN-650, AFS COM, TruTrak AF-Pilot, Dual ADAHRS, AF AP Control Module and USB Smart Charger.

It took about 30 minutes to wire and configure the panel this morning for testing. All we had to do was plug in all of the pre-made harnesses to the
Advanced Control Module and turn on the power. It all worked the first time. It's amazing what proper engineering and quality control can
do to eliminate headaches. Not only is it far easier for us to build, it's a lot easier for the customer to install, maintain and upgrade
components in the future.

All weather data is even shared between the screens, you can even change between ADS-B and XM with the touch of a button.

16006219605_d11bbb3d82_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Last edited:
Customization?

Rob - A couple questions I've probably missed during your product introductions. Posting here instead of a direct email - maybe others are chewing on the same...

1) Can the components of the quick panel concept be moved around on the panel? Comparing the RV10 to the RV7, you've moved the EFIS to be side-by-side. Do we as customers have flexibility with a panel design? Something crazy like moving the Aux power outlet 2" to the left? Or a horizontal COM panel instead of vertical. ;)
2) I saw in the RV7 post the integrated switch module used and it got me thinking about failures. Are the switches independant entities or if there is a failure would the whole module have to come out?
3) You don't show interior light switches (probably others I'm not thinking of) in the pictures - can we add on more switches to the module as we see fit to suit our interior or would those have to be sourced independently?
4) Similarly - how do you handle future upgrades to avionics? ADSB-out as an example (not knowing what new box we'll need). What provisions do you have in the control module?

I see the time value as a builder, but I'm looking at the trade-offs.

Tim

Rob - A couple questions I've probably missed during your product introductions. Posting here instead of a direct email - maybe others are chewing on the same...
I see the time value as a builder, but I'm looking at the trade-offs.

Tim

1) Can the components of the quick panel concept be moved around on the panel? Comparing the RV10 to the RV7, you've moved the EFIS to be side-by-side. Do we as customers have flexibility with a panel design? Something crazy like moving the Aux power outlet 2" to the left? Or a horizontal COM panel instead of vertical.

Yes, we can move components around. This was a custom panel layout for a customer.

2) I saw in the RV7 post the integrated switch module used and it got me thinking about failures. Are the switches independent entities or if there is a failure would the whole module have to come out?

Most of them are independent, only the lights and flaps get routed through the Control Module CPU. The module has two separate avionics relays and a great deal of thought has been put into which components should be on which avionics buss.

3) You don't show interior light switches (probably others I'm not thinking of) in the pictures - can we add on more switches to the module as we see fit to suit our interior or would those have to be sourced independently?

We have a few different switch modules and they are on a PCB. For example, Van's did not want a panel-mounted flap switch for the RV-14, so it's on the stick. We can add a switch outside of the switch module if you need something custom.

4) Similarly - how do you handle future upgrades to avionics? ADSB-out as an example (not knowing what new box we'll need). What provisions do you have in the control module?

The control module is already configured for ADS-B in and out and so far, all of the panels have had
our Mode S ADS-B out transponder and an ADS-B receiver.

We have been involved in Experimental Aircraft and Avionics for over 15 years and have extensive experience helping customers trouble-shoot panel problems.
It was clear to us that the industry needed a more engineered standard panel solution.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

RV-10 Advanced Carbon Quick Panel

16514617212_5463a45aaf_b.jpg

This is our latest RV-10 Quick Panel using the Aerosport Products Carbon Fiber Panel. The Advanced Control Module has plug and play connections for the three EFIS
Touch screens and the rest of the panel avionics. The two PCB mounted switch modules eliminate the normal switch wiring.

Includes:
AF-5600T PFD, AF-5500T MFD, AF-5600T Copilot EFIS, Remote Mode S ES Transponder, ADS-B weather and traffic, GTN650, AFS Com Radio, TruTrak Vision Autopilot,
Advanced Autopilot Control Panel, flap and trim controller and aircraft lighting controller.

The open holes are for the EFII electronic fuel injection system.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems - A Dynon Avionics Company
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Back