What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trim cables routing

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hello Guys,
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l0t-udD9_D9obWcJ612nX-Vj4pFmIBR4
I routed the trim cables as shown in picture attached . through the small hole, while seen other routing through the big round lightening hole.
Is this acceptable?
It seems like vans also changed the rib over time, it had only one hole once.

Suggestions?

Thanks
ORen

open

I don?t recall exactly, but I think mine is like yours.

As long as the cable is secured at both ends and there is no binding as the elevator moves, I don?t think it really matters.

Trim cable routing

I would use either a snap bushing and drill a hole for it, or an adel clamp to hold the cable off of the lighting hole. This will prevent any rubbing of the trim cable.

Mike Hepperlen
A&P, and EAA Tech Counsellor

trim cable routing

Oren,
Yes that is how I did mine too....make sure that the cable is secured (clamp) to the rib otherwise you may/will get some flex in the cable.
I think the lever trim is not as good a trim system as the -6's and others (vernier/screw) adjust but I couldn't come up with a good way to reverse the cable so built as per plans and its been ok (700hrs) ie. I can live with it.

Marc

Mine is similar on my 6A, but I stripped some plastic nsulation off some heavy gauge electrical cable and wrapped the trim cable where it passes over the sharp edge of the rib lightening hole just to protect the coating on the trim cable. I secured the insulation with cable ties. John

Oren,
Yes that is how I did mine too....make sure that the cable is secured (clamp) to the rib otherwise you may/will get some flex in the cable.
I think the lever trim is not as good a trim system as the -6's and others (vernier/screw) adjust but I couldn't come up with a good way to reverse the cable so built as per plans and its been ok (700hrs) ie. I can live with it.

Marc

Thanks Marc!
can you maybe explain what do you mean by clamping the cable to the rib?
A picture from the build?

BR
Oren

Mine is similar on my 6A, but I stripped some plastic nsulation off some heavy gauge electrical cable and wrapped the trim cable where it passes over the sharp edge of the rib lightening hole just to protect the coating on the trim cable. I secured the insulation with cable ties. John

Good idea! Thanks!!

Recommend you use some milspec grommet material (M22529/1 from Aircraft Spruce). It will come in handy in quite a few other places in the build.

Van's sells a wonderful part to solve what you're doing. It's the called the "TIE WRAP CLIP (HOLE), ES-00301". They're available on their online store and perfect for retaining things like trim cables passing through a lightening hole. It uses a 1/2" 6-32 screw (with flat washer and AN365 nut) to mount on the bent lip of the hole. It provides a solid mount for cables, wires, hoses, etc... and eliminates any rubbing concerns.

Last edited:
Van's sells a wonderful part to solve what you're doing. It's the called the "TIE WRAP CLIP (HOLE), ES-00301". They're available on their online store and perfect for retaining things like trim cables passing through a lightening hole. It uses a 1/2" 6-32 screw (with flat washer and AN365 nut) to mount on the bent lip of the hole. It provides a solid mount for cables, wires, hoses, etc... and eliminates any rubbing concerns.

Hi Ron
Thanks!

Do you have a a photo maybe of this tie wrap?
do you might know if aircraftspruce has it? how does it called?

Vans show no pic of it in their store...

is it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Panduit-LHMS-S10-C-Lightening-Cable-Natural/dp/B005T7SVUK

is it strong enough for holding the trimmer cables? can twist the rib?

Thanks
Oren

Last edited:
That is the right one. But they're only about $1 each from Van's. They're pretty strong parts, should easily hold the trim cable. Van's does provide them for holding tubes and wires though ribs and I personally would be fine using these clips to hold the trim cable on the rib.

Last edited:
Back