What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The importance of Pie Insurance

Capt Sandy

Well Known Member
Aviation Tales for Cold Winter Days, part two, where Jim continues his story, and the importance of Pie Insurance comes home:

....Past the playground and the fuel pump, a fellow in a brown flight jacket slide open a hangar door and pulled out a navy blue bi-plane. A young couple stood nearby, waiting for the ride of their lives. They?d see the sparkling waters of Puget Sound and the jagged peaks of the Olympics from a vantage very few get to see. Their flight would be thrilling, and I hoped for them, joyous. But it wouldn?t be even half the joy Roy and I, and others of our aviation tribe experience. It wouldn?t have the same joy, because their flight doesn?t carry with it the hours spent in a airplane hangar pounding rivets, or studying weather and courses or learning how to look up that one radio frequency you can?t find to get an IFR pop-up when you?re going to be in the clouds like it or not...

http://aplanehebuilt.tumblr.com/post/182324204125/pie-insurance-ive-been-coming-here-since-they

IMG_4063-M.jpg

Oh, I don't know about that.

I remember a flight I took as a passenger, back when I had a license but no airplane. I hadn't flown in 12 years. It was a scenic flight around Mt Cook in NZ.

When I got back I bought a Cessna 170 and learned mountain flying, and did a lot of it until I sold that plane and bought a C180. Then I did more.

And as the guy said not long before I bought his C170, "Remember, Dave, you don't have to build it. All you have to do is sign your name a few times."

Dave

Nah, I'm totally with Sandy on this one.
All joyous flights are joyous to each their own level. However, having pounded these particular rivets I find my joyous flights particularly joyous.

Glad you had the pie,....and took some home

I suspect there are a number of us folks that should have eaten some pie.

My small sample space has several times I wish I had. And only one I might take a pass on is the time with the bald eagle,.... by the time I sorted out what was up,...I went by about 25 feet under him. Best as I could tell, the only thing he was doing was wondering what the h*** I was doing in his personal airspace. (I.e. no hint of fold and dive or slow, or even turn)

?We need all the extra pie insurance we can get.?

Nice piece thanks! Enjoyed the reading. :)

Reply to Pie Insurance

Hello All, and Thank you for your comments!! So happy you enjoyed the story and I?ll keep writing as long as ya?ll enjoy reading our tales.

Special note to Sid, Our hangar in Hillsboro has no heat, and the lighting isn?t so great. Roy spent 8-12 hours a day in the hangar, 6 or 7 days a week, for about 2.5 years (I think it was 3 :)) building our plane. I remember he?d come home in the winter, absolutely blue with cold. Since I couldn?t convince him to get a heated hangar (that would take time away from building) I bought him wool lonngies, and he rigged up a heater. He also did some building in our friends hangar that had better lighting but not much heat.

When I wrote the story, I intended to include the risk that we all take, as pilots and right-seaters, and that risk and responsibility brings with it a greater joy. I?m glad the focus and dedication required resonated, as that is certainly a BIG part of our RV community - and one of the main reasons we are all here supporting each other.

Hope to see you and Kelli at Hard-8 soon. We?ll be sporting a sexy new prop.

Your Truly, Capt Sandy

Deja vu

...and guess where Kelli and I are eating dinner as I read your note, Sandy?

:cool:

Back