What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Overhaul Shop Recommendation?

Hello,

Can someone please recommend a shop to overhaul a composite MT constant speed prop? The glass covering on the blades has wrinkled due to shrinkage and so some refinish work is necessary.

Thank ya,

Jon

Titan might help?

Hello,

Can someone please recommend a shop to overhaul a composite MT constant speed prop? The glass covering on the blades has wrinkled due to shrinkage and so some refinish work is necessary.

Thank ya,

Jon

Jon,

We are authorized MT center. We can disassemble and send blades in for repair. We can then reassemble and return. Contact me if we can help.

Glass Ripples/Wrinkles at Shank

FWIW - I sent mine off (to Stockton Propeller) twice for the same thing, and both times it appeared again. Was advised by the Deland, FL shop (US Distributor/Overhaul Facility) that the "wrinkling" is a normal result of operation and is not considered a maintenance issue. The last time I got the prop back (for a leaky seal - still does!) was three years ago and once the wrinkles came back they pretty much stabilized at the size and area they are now. So even though I don't like the way they look, trying to get rid of them (for me at least) has proven difficult.

YMMV

David Howe

Overhaul

Stockton Propeller sold me a rebuilt MT a few years ago. The history on the blades was the same but in my case, the blades were sent back to MT Germany and recovered.
Don't have enough hrs to know if this is a permanent fix but Stockton Propeller has been responsive to all my request.

MT Prop Repair

Besides the factory, American Propeller does more MT-Prop servicing than any other US facility. In fact they were the first US prop shop that was factory trained in Germany. You can reach them at 800-292-7767.

Thanks for the replies guys. I wonder if having the blades recovered in a dry climate instead of the wet Danube Valley in Germany would help? Do any of the US service stations recover the blades themselves? I'll call American Prop; it's fairly dry there.

I doubt it

Be cautious when getting the work done. Stockton Prop implied that MT sometimes does a blade overhaul on only a portion of the blade. Mine were reported to have been returned a second time after a crack in the surface appeared between the original and new layups. The second time through the whole blade was recovered.
I did not see the documentation to this myself so please cross check with MT

Hello,

Thank ya,

Jon

Jon, can you post a pic?

I had my MTV prop overhauled at MT Deland. They were very helpful with attempts to troubleshoot a p-120u control issue I had. The paint job was not satisfactory however. It looked fine but would peel off in sheets. I eventually took mine to an auto body shop for repaint shortly after the prop was overhauled. The auto body shop owner confirmed there was a problem with the paint job as he too found it to peel off in sheets. Search the forums and you will find others with the same issue.

The first photo shows the typical small wrinkles and puckers. The second photo shows a large delaminated area.

3c1ed325-a5fb-45e4-add4-0c6ddccd7e73_zps18a92af3.jpg

fa9a6f65-7467-4ed9-ab9c-5135458fe72b_zps633c2b7f.jpg

Last edited:
The first photo shows the typical small wrinkles and puckers. The second photo shows a large delaminated area.

3c1ed325-a5fb-45e4-add4-0c6ddccd7e73_zps18a92af3.jpg

fa9a6f65-7467-4ed9-ab9c-5135458fe72b_zps633c2b7f.jpg

Wow
Very concerning to my uneducated eyes at least. I have not experienced any of that with mine, not even the small wrinkles.

I would suggest MT USA at Deland.

Bit of a delivery but I have used them previously and they are excellent.

Back