Thread: Engine Dryer
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Question for those who are using the engine Dryers:

Do you just leave it run 24x7 or do you switch it on and off. I know that some models that you can purchase come with humidity sensing, which would be nice but is an added complexity and cost and I don't really care to go down that road.

I'm thinking that if you run it for an hour after a flight and then maybe 10 minutes out of every hour, on a closed system, it would probably work out just fine, but air leaking in the exhaust valves and elsewhere could void that theory.
I would run it 24x7 if I can ensure a closed system with maybe capped exhaust and intake, but capping them both adds more to the connection routine too and is harder on the RV-14 with the intake up in the nose inlet as a square filter.
So if you can't easily cap it all, it may be best to just keep the positive pressure of a 24x7 flow.

I just finished building and connecting 2 of them, and each one has 128oz worth of dessicant in it, and it's in clear bottles so it'll be easy to see when it changes. I just don't have any experience in how long it'll last in my environment. I'm sure it varies greatly by where you live.

One other notes: I wanted to do a closed loop on both planes, so I feed it in the oil cap and out the breather, but I found that the 2 planes have different sizes of both. The RV10 IO-540 uses a drilled #7 stopper on the oil inlet where the IO-390 uses a #6, and the RV-10 breather is a #4 drilled stopper, but the RV-14 is smaller...guessing #3, so I need to order one of those before I have that one looped. I just mention this because there was a definite variation and so advice about one engine may not quite be the same for another engine.