What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Carb/cowl fire in Oregon

Indy

Spoiler alert: for those looking for updates on the Cross Country of Justice, updates are coming, but you'll see why they're delayed...and how it ended.

After landing in The Dalles, Oregon (okay, technically the airport is in Washington) for the night, and starting up to taxi from the fuel pump to the tie downs I developed an engine fire. Engine wasn't starting--figured it was flooded and didn't want to run down the battery so I hopped out to push it to the tie downs...and saw a glow under the cowl. Looked down and saw flaming fuel dripping out the back of the cowl. Full story will come later (want to make sure all appropriate reporting with insurance and authorities is complete). Bottom line, all damage is forward of the firewall, but the fire burned long enough to need a complete new cowl. I had to return home to North Carolina, but the wounded bird is still at KDLS. Mechanic there can get the engine operational/safe again and do a temp patch on the cowl to get it to the Portland area (most likely) for the new cowl. Looking for anyone out there who might be willing/able to hire to do the cowl (including paint if possible--I've got the paint codes).
DSC01451.jpg

P1010750.jpg

And if you're curious what the damage looked like under the cowl...
2012_10_02_11_22_18_915.jpg

2012_10_02_11_23_33_978.jpg

Thank you for sharing and we are all glad that you are ok! I am sure that we are are looking forward to your complete findings on the cause of the fire.
Best of luck with your repairs and a safe return to the skies!

Duane

Ouch, Matt. How frustrating to have your wounded bird so far away. But how blessed you must feel that everything happened as it did, without injury or lasting damage.

Fire is my greatest aerial fear. My young son and I were driving on a city street when an engine fire started in my midsize sedan. By the time we pulled over, bailed out, and got the fire department dispatcher on the line, the car was fully engulfed.

We'll await your eventual report, but while waiting, congratulations that your minor mishap never became a major one.

--
Stephen

Possibilities

I have seen similar fires twice. One was caused by a malfunctioning float valve resulting in a fuel seap/leak that ignited on startup, the other fire was the result of pumping the throttle several times and the resulting puddle of fuel in the airbox igniting from a small backfire during an unsucessful start attempt. Russ

synergy air in Eugene

Probably your best bet to find someone to fit a new cowl and paint it for you is Synergy Air in Eugene.

Russell,
We think the first scenario is exactly the cause. Thankfully those circumstances (most likely) would have prevented it from happening in flight (ie we think the spark came from the starter since there was no backfire that I could tell).

Steve,
Synergy came highly recommended by more than one person, but they just got really busy with the new RV-12 production announcement so I'm still looking.

In good hands

Indy,

Your plane is in good hands with Brett. My plane spent many hours in that hangar when he found metal in the oil.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71250&highlight=kdls

I can also highly recommend Gary Brown if Brett needs some assistance to get it done faster. He helped get some of the final details done on my firewall forward when Brett was super busy. He can fly over from Independence. There are also a couple of RV builders in The Dalles that may be able to lend a hand, not to mention the slew in the Portland area that are a quick flight away. Unfortunately I'm now up in Seattle, but I told Brett you could have some of my air intake parts that we didn't use.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Bill,
Brett told me about your metal issue. Nice to hear from you! Yup, I've been impressed with Brett...he's just undermanned like you said. Everybody at The Dalles was great--one of the volunteer firefighters lives/works at the airport. He was the first on scene (and provided a MUCH needed beer once the fire was out).

wow, glad you are ok. brings back memories of my airbox fire. glad i had a fire extinguisher on board to put out the fire. the damage was confined to the air box and top of the gear leg fairing. just today at sebring a rv-10 was spewing gas out of the cowl on a long hot start. thanks for posting this issue.

Back