What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR flight test passed!

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I have a new IFR endorsement on my license and all it has done so far is to make me aware of how much I have yet to learn.

congrats

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you have the right attitude for continuing to learn the real world use of the IFR system.

Congrats!

Congratulations! I still believe that is one of the hardest ratings to obtain and maintain, but oh so worth it.
Have fun in the murk!

Good on you!

Congratulations Tom. That ticket will enable you to go to many events that you could not go to, VFR only. Often, there's soup between your departure point and the arrival point....especially in places like the US and Canada, with so many miles of real estate.

If you'll get in the habit of filing IFR, even on clear days, the whole system will become that much easier to navigate.

Congrats,

Good job!

It is a lot of work but worth it. I love being pushed hard but I actually considered the IFR training WORK.

Congrats, this is certainly a mile stone.

Lately we have been flying to one of our favorite destination that without IFR ticket would not have been possible. I am truly enjoying it and happy that I perused it.

No more difficulty getting into Taylor, TX in the AM

That is great Tom. What did you take the flight test in?

Bob Axsom

IFR= I FLY RV'S, im always in the clouds!!!!!!! Keep pounding those rivits!!!!!!

i heard a clearance coming, cleared to.............:(

vaf045jul062011123711.jpg

Thank you for all the kind regards. I have pretty much given the last two months to this endeavor. My wife is right, I am single minded and find it hard to multitask. (I keep telling her that perhaps it is best to one thing well rather then many things..., but that argument never goes past the "look")
I did my flight test and the hours needed in a C172. For what I needed to accomplish it was the perfect airplane. At this point I barely have a 100knot brain and the rocket would have been a handful. A tandem aircraft is not the correct plane for training and the examiner would not fly with it as he can not see the whole panel.
The next step is to get my EVO to IFR status,
replace my SL40 with my new SL30 as a back up to the 430W
install alternate air source
get through the Transport Canada steps required to remove the VFR only status. Others have blazed this trail.

Now, show me some clouds

Good choice

Thank you for all the kind regards. I have pretty much given the last two months to this endeavor. My wife is right, I am single minded and find it hard to multitask. (I keep telling her that perhaps it is best to one thing well rather then many things..., but that argument never goes past the "look")
I did my flight test and the hours needed in a C172. For what I needed to accomplish it was the perfect airplane. At this point I barely have a 100knot brain and the rocket would have been a handful. A tandem aircraft is not the correct plane for training and the examiner would not fly with it as he can not see the whole panel.
The next step is to get my EVO to IFR status,
replace my SL40 with my new SL30 as a back up to the 430W
install alternate air source
get through the Transport Canada steps required to remove the VFR only status. Others have blazed this trail.

Now, show me some clouds

Good choice. I also replaced my SL-40 with an SL-30 - wiring up the second connector and mounting it in the old SL-30 tray while still in the panel was not too difficult. Do you have an autopilot in the EVO Rocket? It will be tough to do IFR flying without it - doable I'm sure with your skills but tough. I installed a Tru Trak Pictorial Pilot for directional control in the old turn coordinator hole (PP has a built in TC) and Altrak for altitude hold and it made a tremendous difference for me. The SL-30 has multifunctional knob controls and that takes a little getting used too for us single minded guys but once you get the routine down everything works well.

Bob Axsom

Bob
I have the TruTrak ADI II in the EVO. In anticipation of the new Gemini series I have sent my pitch servo back for the vertical height control addition. This is my off season for flying the rocket and I am getting a lot of this stuff looked after now.

Great Job

IFR is a great accomplishment. It also provides the opportunity to get out of Oshkosh when there are clouds.

Way to go!

Well done Sir....!

The IFR Cert is a tough one.

I teach my instrument students that an IFR rating/traaining can easily save their life someday.

Congrats,

Gregg

Congrats Tom, that is something to be proud of! Now the trick is to get a bunch of IFR experience in the next few months to start to solidify what you've learned.

Back