What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Partial "glass" Panel ... what to do with the blackness

humptybump

Well Known Member
I'm preparing for an IPC. My RV-8 has a pretty good glad panel but being and RV-8 it doesn't have huge reserves for redundant displays. It does have backups for the key systems and I've practiced using them in VMC.

snapseed-3-575x308.jpg

Like many pilots, if I lose the "big screen" I have a backup with all the necessary fly instruments. I have an iPad with all my navigation and charts.

The problem is the cockpit workload. If I were to find myself in IMC and using my backups, it would mean my scan would be going between the backup flight instruments in my panel and my iPad strapped to my leg. This is not ideal.

The answer was right in front of me - that big dark spot.

snapseed-4-575x302.jpg

I've fashioned an attachment that allows quick installation of my iPad over the G3X Touch.

snapseed-5-575x304.jpg

It takes me about 15 seconds to insert the iPad while sitting on the ground. I will practice performing the task while flying with a safety pilot to develop the skill while maintaining flight attitude.

Pics aren't entirely clear

Am I seeing an acrylic overlay on the PFD that cradles the iPad top and bottom? Clever fellow! I like the idea, Glen.

-Bill

Glen, I looked at your blow up photos. What are you saying when you say you flipped your ipad cover open? (I have 2 ipads, and neither has a cover.)

Are you saying you have your ipad in a leather pouch, you flip the cover of the pouch open, and then just "hang" your ipad on the clear piece??

there are many inexpensive cases which consist of a thin plastic shell and a segmented foldable front. Here is one example:
ipad-air-case-jetech®-gold-serial-ipad-air-slim-fit-smart-case-cover-for-apple-ipad-air-ipad-5-with-auto-sleep-wake-feature-ipad-air-black-4-630x552.jpg

I just flip the cover to the back and slide it they the polycarbonate "crossbar".

Last edited:
Back