What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airventure Newbie

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Made a quick search but couldn't see anything too specific.

Our first visit to Airventure and we are arriving in a 30' Traveller Beagle :D

So.....

Any top tips, we are planning to get to site on Friday night or Saturday morning and stay until Thursday.

Do we need to book ?

Are hookups everywhere ?

Can we fly a flag ?

Chime in guys and hopefully, we can all meet up at some point.

Made a quick search but couldn't see anything too specific.

Our first visit to Airventure and we are arriving in a 30' Traveller Beagle :D

So.....

Any top tips, we are planning to get to site on Friday night or Saturday morning and stay until Thursday.

Do we need to book ?

Are hookups everywhere ?

Can we fly a flag ?

Chime in guys and hopefully, we can all meet up at some point.

Most of the good spots and most likely all of the hook up sites will be gone by the time you arrive. You can reserve hook ups, but you have to start paying for the site on the start date of the reservation. There is a special section for hook ups. Yes, there are people that reserve them a month in advance. There's been a trend for the last couple years of people coming earlier every year. There is a mobile honey truck service to all of the camp for a fee.

No issue for a flag, unless you have a really tall pole.:D You'll see all kinds of flags flying.

Read the camping docs on the Airventure site and you'll be well prepared.

If you go to HBC and HBP, you'll think you're in RV heaven. :D

Suggest

I would look up Sleepy Hollow. I believe it still exists. Before i finished building we pulled our 28' trailer and staid with them. They are right in the middle of it all, walking distance to all places, and right across Waukau or whatever it is and the SOS brothers beer/food tents.
Why there?
It had power and water HUGE benefit, tank pump also if needed. AND...they didnt jam them in as tight as the campground. It was worth every penny but do book soon if they have room. Nice people, great fellow campers and walking back from the show for lunch and having the trailer as cold as a meat locker and beers chilled and bbq fired up......good living. Loved those trips.

I dont want to listen to generators, or be surrounded by others 2 feet away. Sleepy hollow was perfect. Still high density in the back field but worked for us. Good luck and enjoy.

If you must have hook ups, there are a couple other campgrounds close that may have shuttle service to Airventure. The Circle R campground is a few miles south of the grounds (https://www.circle-r-camp.com/), and Kalbus? Country Harbor (https://kalbuscountryharbor.com/) which is closer to the seaplane base. Like Sleepy Hollow, these campgrounds fill up fast, often with repeat offenders. I used to stay at Circle R until I discovered Sleepy Hollow.

Bring a bicycle or scooter or something with wheels. If you end up far away from the gates it's a huge time saver. Almost a requirement too get you from the trailer to the gate.

Tips

Sorry to hear Sleepy hollow isnt an option. It was really great.

Another tip is to find a Woodmans food market (chain of grocery stores) stop and load up with beer, cheese, beef and lots of snacks so you dont need to eat crappy show food. Dont know if it is a wisconsin thing, a being around good people and airplanes for days thing or what but seriously everything we have ever bought to eat, drink, bbq or snack on from woodmans has been amazing. For us it was always one of the fun things to ensure we hit woodmans short of Kosh to load up. Cold beer, spicy cheese and crackers, good meat on the bbq. Awesome. Last year we flew in and were stuck in madison a few days, took a shuttle to woodmans there.. still amazing. Think i hear angels singing when i am shopping there. Just something funny that has always been a great part of Kosh experience. Fun and excellent. Enjoy your big trip.

What do you mean you’ve never been to Oshkosh?! As long as you’ve been around RV’s, and you’re actually admitting it! Wow...the things you learn about people when they retire.

Hope to see you there!

Back