What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#3 cylinder washer install

Stump

I am pursuing putting a washer behind #3 cylinder to help cool it down. I have Millenium cylinders. I have searched and cannot find a picture of where the screw is that attaches the baffles to the cylinder and therefore where the washer goes, of course maybe i can't do this with millenium cylinders, i don't know. I will post a pic of my baffle once i get to the hanger, but in the meantime, does anyone have a pic showing where this screw is?
thanks.

stump

Back of baffle behind cylinder 3, it's the screw just below the scat duct flange.
D8721EED-A2A7-43F5-861D-6B1411670DD2-1540-000000A7A6C7C7C0_zpsb59a1e34.jpg

View from the top rear corner of baffling, look by the 470 rivet head and you'll see the washer between the baffle and the head.
EA7B2909-50C2-4C5F-AA0A-31AA3DE9800F-1540-000000A796BD5E66_zpsbb7b95c8.jpg

Is this the right spot?

In looking at my baffle setup, it appears the hole indicated by the arrow has a corresponding screw hole on the side of the cylinder (Millennium). am i correct in thinking this is the hole talked about where people have attached the baffle to the cylinder with a washer on the cylinder side? I didn't build the plane and am enjoying the challenge figuring out what the builder did....

baffle2.jpg

Affirmative, that's the correct hole. I just did this last week, the screw is a MS35206-265 with a MS35333-39. It is smaller than the MS35206-281 by the rocker covers. A couple of open screw holes on my engine had to have a tap run through them to clean out some gunk before the screws went in correctly.

Cooling

On our 6A when we got it we had cooling problems on #4 install air dams in inlet top cowling and had problems on #3 in the end found out wrong type leads under spark plug went to new in cylinder screw in type and right kind for gauge and things were better RV 6's are harder to cool.
Bob

Of course, everyone means "coarse" thread.

Or is it:

Of coarse, everyone means "course" thread.

Or:

Of coarse, everyone means coarse thread.

Or:

Of course, everyone means course thread.

:p Couldn't resist!

Back