What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 N18LM Russ McCutcheon

Russ McCutcheon

Well Known Member
Our RV-4 (Cobra Ball) Van’s Serial #18 was the third -4 to take flight and is (so far un-disputed) the oldest RV-4 in service, Built by Lee McDaniel and first flown on Mother’s Day 1983. It sports an MTV-15b-183-33 CS prop turned by a Lycoming IO-360-A1A with Sky Dynamics Maxi sump/cold air induction, using a B&C SD-8 as the primary and only alternator and 4 into 1 exhaust. The gear legs and tail spring as well at the rear stick are Titanium. Empty weight is 1065 pounds.

I met Lee and Jan McDaniel when I was only 15 and the Cobra Ball was brand new, that RV-4 was the coolest airplane I had ever seen. Jump forward to 1990 I got my pilots license and started flying my flight instructor’s RV-4, my instructor was Boyd Williamson, he flew for the USAF starting after Perl Harbor WW2 through Vietnam. In 1991 I went to work for Lee welding RV parts where I walked past and probably ran my fingers across the Cobra Ball every day for ten years. I bought Lee’s business in 2001 and finally in 2005 I bought his airplane, the same one I dreamed about from the age of 15!
DSC02751%2520%2528640x480%2529.jpg

DSC00370.JPG

2009_08150006.JPG

DSC02275.JPG

Antique Breitling Airforce clock.
021.JPG

013%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Last edited:
Great plane!

Russ,

Great plane and great time flying with you. So cool to see the older stuff working so well. It's been too long, we need to do it again.

Russ,

Great plane and great time flying with you. So cool to see the older stuff working so well. It's been too long, we need to do it again.
Hi Jason,
We had fun too, I agree, need to again some time soon, on that note I saw you sold your old -6. How is the new 7 coming along?

RV History

Nice plane and very nice story! I would like to see more pics and details of the Cobra Ball. Interesting cowling, landing light, rudder, etc.

Last edited:
Wonderful Story

Oh Wow, that really is a great story Russ. I fell in LOVE with them after reading an article by Chuck Berthe and looking at the photos. I understand how you got hooked.

Titanium gear legs, oh man, I'm drooling. :D It's obvious it gets plenty of TLC.

Cheers,

Russ gave me a ride in this RV-4 to pick up my stranded RV-4 in California. It's a great bird!

Christopher.

I saw Lee's plane at Oshkosh in 1983, and that particular plane caused me to reconsider building a Q2. I talked to Van that day and bought an RV4 tail kit on the spot. I do remember the spoilers, and there was something written on the aft side of them when they were up. I also remember Lee saying they weren't very effective. Glad the plane is still flying!

Cobra Ball???

Hi Russ,
I'm very curious about your moniker, "Cobra Ball". I think there is a story there?? And what an emblem, I LIKE IT!! :D

Please tell.
Cheers,

Russ,

Yes, the old -6 has a new home, actually it's in Oregon now. Business was very slow for the end of last year. Things are looking good for this year I expect to get the -7 done in 13. Look forward to meeting up with you again for some flying adventures.

Last edited:
I saw Lee's plane at Oshkosh in 1983, and that particular plane caused me to reconsider building a Q2. I talked to Van that day and bought an RV4 tail kit on the spot. I do remember the spoilers, and there was something written on the aft side of them when they were up. I also remember Lee saying they weren't very effective. Glad the plane is still flying!
I talk to a lot of guys that remember seeing the airplane in the early days and many got rides from Lee as well, Lee used to go around to all the shows with Van and a gang of early RV builders/pilots, he gave many rides and inspired many to build RVs. Lee and Jan are still going strong, living on their airport property in La Center WA.

The spoilers are quite effective, but with a CS prop and proper slip technique seldom needed, however there very useful when deployed wile touching down on an undulating runway, a good 3 point landing in a -4 is not fully stalled, raise the spoilers and the airplane stays on the ground, Vernonia OR comes to mind.

Hi Russ,
I'm very curious about your moniker, "Cobra Ball". I think there is a story there?? And what an emblem, I LIKE IT!! :D

Please tell.
Cheers,
Lee?s son was in the USAF, Cobra Ball was a mission they flew, the tail art is there mission patch, I don?t know too much about it, I think you can Google it and find some information.

Russ,

Yes, the old -6 has a new home, actually it's in Oregon now. Business was very slow for the end of last year. Things are looking good for this year I expect to get the -7 done in 13. Look forward to meeting up with you again for some flying adventures.
Sounds good Jason!

The intake consists of three inlets, two small ones that feed the fuel pump cooling shroud and the mag blast tubes, and the big one feeds the horizontal Bendix fuel servo (the engine) no filter of any kind, it will pull 22” manifold pressure at 10,000’, not bad.
015.JPG

The wood handles are all U wood and walnut that Lee had cut and packed out of the forest back in his timber falling days, where taking way back in the days of big nasty noisy 100+cc McCullough saws.
017.JPG

019.JPG

The handle that deploys the lift spoilers.
020.JPG

Old school panel.
016.JPG

Lift spoilers both open and closed, Yes Jon Thocker remembered correctly, there is writing under one of the spoilers, some of you might know who this guy is, he saw this at OHS and singed it “Noted! Tony”
024.JPG

021.JPG

Cobra Ball!
025.JPG

Counter balanced rudder.
026.JPG

Cold War...

Hi Russ,
I'm very curious about your moniker, "Cobra Ball". I think there is a story there?? And what an emblem, I LIKE IT!! :

Deal,

Cobra Ball is the code name for a very specific USAF surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft. Back in the early 1960's the USAF developed a program to monitor the soviets by equipping an aircraft normally used for aerial refueling (RC-135) for sensitive monitoring inflight, it''s capabilities are still classified. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC-135 It would and possibly still does follow airline routes (well sorta) along the Siberian and Kamchatka peninsula gathering intelligence as it flies/flew. The KAL 007 shoot-down in 1983 was a Soviet response to what they thought was Cobra Ball in their airspace. (see link) Russ' RV4 previous owner must have been associated with this program.

Towards the end of the Cold War in the late 1980's I was stationed in Northern Japan flying F-16's. Our mission was to protect the Japanese from the Soviets and also gather intelligence, test defenses and generally "harass" their fighters that flew near our airspace. We also were there to "answer the call" if a similar event to KAL 007 ever took place. It was a tense time. We knew the Russians response times and of course they knew ours. It was a Cat and mouse game I can only describe as "exciting, fun and very challenging".. we flew patrols, stood ready to launch search and destroy missions and the Soviets knew it. Eventually somebody had to "blink" and Glasnost ended it...:)

V/R
Smokey

KAL 007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007
On a vacation trip in 90' while stationed in Japan, I drove through Hokkaido. I walked the Northern shoreline and found parts from the 747 washed ashore on a remote beach...

Last edited:
Deal,

Cobra Ball is the code name for a very specific USAF surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft. Back in the early 1960's the USAF developed a program to monitor the soviets by equipping an aircraft normally used for aerial refueling (RC-135) for sensitive monitoring inflight, it''s capabilities are still classified. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC-135 It would and possibly still does follow airline routes (well sorta) along the Siberian and Kamchatka peninsula gathering intelligence as it flies/flew. The KAL 007 shoot-down in 1983 was a Soviet response to what they thought was Cobra Ball in their airspace. (see link) Russ' RV4 previous owner must have been associated with this program.

Towards the end of the Cold War in the late 1980's I was stationed in Northern Japan flying F-16's. Our mission was to protect the Japanese from the Soviets and also gather intelligence, test defenses and generally "harass" their fighters that flew near our airspace. We also were there to "answer the call" if a similar event to KAL 007 ever took place. It was a tense time. We knew the Russians response times and of course they knew ours. It was a Cat and mouse game I can only describe as "exciting, fun and very challenging".. we flew patrols, stood ready to launch search and destroy missions and the Soviets knew it. Eventually somebody had to "blink" and Glasnost ended it...:)

V/R
Smokey

KAL 007
On a vacation trip in 90' while stationed in Japan, I drove through Hokkaido. I walked the Northern shoreline and found parts from the 747 washed ashore on a remote beach...
Lee McDaniel built my RV-4 and was the only previous owner, his son David was involved in the Cobra Ball mission, what his involvement was I don't know.

OH WOW,

Deal,

Cobra Ball is the code name for a very specific USAF surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft. ........

V/R
Smokey

KAL 007

I find this absolutely fascinating! I definitely recall the KAL 007 shootdown & the brouhaha it caused.

Oh Man, it makes me pause & consider all the things our military & intelligence men & women do to keep us free. ...I truly appreciate all that you past & present warriors did for us. Flying can be fun; but military aviation is particularly dangerous duty. ...Gee, I'm at a loss for words...

Russ, what a story. You really have some flying history there. I find I have a particular fondness for your airplane, THE "COBRA BALL". :D Is that not too cool or what????

Well, we equate flying to freedom. Seems that is what Cobra Ball was all about. I just love this story. It gives me an RV Grin just thinking about it. :D I'm going to go fly 34CB this morning just to celebrate this.

Cheers all & God Bless all you Aviators, Ground Pounders & Sailors,

I find this absolutely fascinating! I definitely recall the KAL 007 shootdown & the brouhaha it caused.

Oh Man, it makes me pause & consider all the things our military & intelligence men & women do to keep us free. ...I truly appreciate all that you past & present warriors did for us. Flying can be fun; but military aviation is particularly dangerous duty. ...Gee, I'm at a loss for words...

Russ, what a story. You really have some flying history there. I find I have a particular fondness for your airplane, THE "COBRA BALL". :D Is that not too cool or what????

Well, we equate flying to freedom. Seems that is what Cobra Ball was all about. I just love this story. It gives me an RV Grin just thinking about it. :D I'm going to go fly 34CB this morning just to celebrate this.

Cheers all & God Bless all you Aviators, Ground Pounders & Sailors,
Agreed very cool!

I noticed the counter balanced rudder, like an -8, but your plane was built before the -8 plans came out. Is it the original rudder or was there a retrofit at some time? If you have had the chance to fly a stock -4, have you noticed any handling quality differences with the counter balanced rudder?

I noticed the counter balanced rudder, like an -8, but your plane was built before the -8 plans came out. Is it the original rudder or was there a retrofit at some time? If you have had the chance to fly a stock -4, have you noticed any handling quality differences with the counter balanced rudder?
The Cobra Ball has undergone a number of changes between 1983 and 1989, since 89 it remains relatively un-changed, this is not the original rudder, I’m not sure but I think it made its appearance in 1989. I have flown standard -4s, this rudder requires less pressure then the standard one, Lee said he always felt that the rudder pressure required was out of place when the pitch and roll where so light, he wanted the rudder to be in more harmony/equal in pressure/response to pitch and roll, I’d say he hit it just about right.

that is good to hear. I'm rebuilding a ground looped -4 and I got a good deal on an -8 rudder, so that is what I'm putting on.
Did some research but never could find out why Van switched to a counter balanced rudder after the -6. Just wondering why with a lot of 3,4 and 6s all flying without a counter balanced rudder, he decided to change the design.

Counter-balanced Culture...

I have flown standard -4s, this rudder requires less pressure then the standard one, Lee said he always felt that the rudder pressure required was out of place when the pitch and roll where so light, he wanted the rudder to be in more harmony/equal in pressure/response to pitch and roll, I’d say he hit it just about right.

Russ,
In my LLC I get to fly many RV's, old and new. I have never liked the larger rudder on the newer "pre-punched" RV's both aesthetically and aerodynamically. My Harmon Rocket would easily surpass 230 knots in a dive with a stock RV4 tail section and rudder. I never thought the RV4 rudder was an issue, even at higher speed.
However comma, my friend and RV4 craftsman "Holly-Wood". (Safe Air one fuel tanks) designed and built a CB rudder for his RV4 (like yours) kept the RV4 same relative size with counter-balancing. I'm a convert. It really improved the Rudder responsiveness and balance and didn't detract from the looks.

"Wood" has drawings, I'll ask him and share...

V/R
Smokey

Hollywood's "Sizzlin Suz"

Last edited:
Russ,
In my LLC I get to fly many RV's, old and new. I have never liked the larger rudder on the newer "pre-punched" RV's both aesthetically and aerodynamically. My Harmon Rocket would easily surpass 230 knots in a dive with a stock RV4 tail section and rudder. I never thought the RV4 rudder was an issue, even at higher speed.
However comma, my friend and RV4 craftsman "Holly-Wood". (Safe Air one fuel tanks) designed and built a CB rudder for his RV4 (like yours) kept the RV4 same relative size with counter-balancing. I'm a convert. It really improved the Rudder responsiveness and balance and didn't detract from the looks.

"Wood" has drawings, I'll ask him and share...

V/R
Smokey

Hollywood's "Sizzlin Suz"

Watch for cracking of the rudder spar with the counter balance. Just grab the counter balance from the top and pull back. If the spar is cracked, you will feel a slight give.

Watch for cracking of the rudder spar with the counter balance. Just grab the counter balance from the top and pull back. If the spar is cracked, you will feel a slight give.
Thanks for the tip gasman, I checked mine this afternoon, no problems found:D

In this photo you will see sight gauges for both fuel tanks, they read the bottom 10 gallons. Lee had a lot of problems with sending units so he removed the gauge and installed the sight gauges and an Rnav FC-10 fuel computer, now replaced by the Flight Data Systems FC-10.
037.JPG

038.JPG

Home made lower corner firewall bracket, Lee has always said he did not like the look of the OEM brackets so he made his own. Where these his original brackets though? Lee said he never damaged or repaired the firewall but the seam where the lower firewall looks to have been replaced makes me think he has forgotten this repair somewhere along the way.
040.JPG

Last edited:
Back