What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Avionics Received!

Bil,
The SkyView fans are on a thermostat, since in most cases they are not needed. The fins on the back are designed to keep the display cool in normal conditions, and the fans just assist when things get hot. There are two fans only for redundancy. When you first power-on the SkyView display they will spin for a couple of seconds, as a test.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

Skyview Communication Question

The orange wire on Pin 5, labeled as the EMS Auxiliary voltage for the 9 Pin D sub is missing from the Adahars Wire bundle as supplied by Vans
It is part of the Fuselage 046 bundle.
Is it needed, all of the other 9 Pin cables have it installed?

Received Sat and reviewing

Thanks Bill

After go over the plans there are a lot of questions which will be answered by your posts!:D
I am going with the ELT and intercom above the Skyview.

I will continue the review and start in ernest this Friday.

Adahar Comminication Wiring

The orange wire on Pin 5, labeled as the EMS Auxiliary voltage for the 9 Pin D sub is missing from the Adahars Wire bundle as supplied by Vans

This is the reponse from Dynon Support.
"We're not experts on the wiring Vans created for the RV-12, but this wire does not need to make it's way to any module except the EMS, so it sounds lie it's fine. "

ES 9 PIN BACKSHELL 2

Check your Skyview kits. I have made Van's aware of these.

Plans Page 42C-19 requires installation of a
ES 9 PIN BACKSHELL 2
This is a special backshell attaching a DB9 to the ADAHRS.
The plans say it has short screws, and long screw versions interfere with the magnetometer. It is not in the Skyview parts kits or on any of the bag lists. Not provided in any of the earlier kits.
Jerry - did you get this? If so in which bag is it listed on for you?

Plans Page 42D-13
Steps 3 and 4 require
PT 1/4 OD TUBE
to be cut in 15 inch and 33 inch lengths.
This tube is not included, but I had enough left over from previous parts of the build to make it.

No PANEL FUSES were supplied in my Skyview Kit nor were they on any parts list or bag lists.

Bill H.

Bill - What was the resolution to the ES 9 PIN BACKSHELL 2 omission?

For those of you getting ready to drill the new mounting holes - Add clecos as you drill because the template has a tendancy to drift slightly if there are only a couple of clecos installed. Not much but enough to get the holes a little bit out of alignment.

DWB

They are sending my backshell with the "intercom revision adapter harness." They received those harnesses last Thursday Mar 15th, and know to send them out to a bunch of us Skyview-converters. Now, I told them about my missing backshell but I do NOT know if they know that is a generic omission for all of us Skyview converters. They do know it is a "special" backshell (the screws are "slightly less magnetic" whatever that means.) I think they know it is a generic omission but it couldn't hurt to send them an email and ask.

Where (plans page) are you seeing a callout for an orange wire?

Lets be precise here - this reply (and most of the contents of this whole thread) is based on a CONVERSION harness applied to an RV-12 that had already installed the earlier harness supplied.

Vans is (I think) now shipping the finish kit with a DIFFERENT harness. I do not have the revised plans for the finish section nor know the details of that harness.

Page 42D-21 does not show an orange wire going into the ADAHRs DB9. My conversion harness DB9 wiring was exactly per page 42D-21.

ADAHR's Communication Wire

Where (plans page) are you seeing a callout for an orange wire?

Lets be precise here - this reply (and most of the contents of this whole thread) is based on a CONVERSION harness applied to an RV-12 that had already installed the earlier harness supplied.

Vans is (I think) now shipping the finish kit with a DIFFERENT harness. I do not have the revised plans for the finish section nor know the details of that harness.

Page 42D-21 does not show an orange wire going into the ADAHRs DB9. My conversion harness DB9 wiring was exactly per page 42D-21.

We have installed the 046 Harness part of the subkit 5.
We have purchased a Sky View system for Stein Aviation. The Skyview communication harness's all have a Orange wire in the Bundle Specificaly allocated to the EMS system. It is not needed for the ADAHRs LRU as replied to by Dyanon.

Grey 9-pin backshell???

They are sending my backshell with the "intercom revision adapter harness." They received those harnesses last Thursday Mar 15th, and know to send them out to a bunch of us Skyview-converters. Now, I told them about my missing backshell but I do NOT know if they know that is a generic omission for all of us Skyview converters. They do know it is a "special" backshell (the screws are "slightly less magnetic" whatever that means.) I think they know it is a generic omission but it couldn't hurt to send them an email and ask.

In my d-shell connectors, I have one grey-colored, instead of the usual black-colored shell which does NOT have the long pins on it...is this the creature you might be looking for?

I do not know what it looks like. The label on the bag - it it was still in the bag - Would have "Backshell 2" rather than just "Backshell" on it. When I get mine I'll post it - good idea!

INTERCOM FIX and BACKSHELL 2

A small envelope from Van's contained the Backshell 2 for the ADAHRS DB9. The label is "ES 9 PIN BACKSHELL 2." It is a medium gray with short thin screws that you must turn with a screwdriver, compared to the normal finger-type screws. This is the only backshell I have received in the entire kit that did not have finger-type screws.

The intercom fix has arrived. There is a plans revision page 42D-20 REV 1. There is a new wire bundle supplied consisting of 7 wires, all about 12 inches long. One end of the bundle has each wire terminated in a female D-sub pin. There are 8 butt splices.

The directions have you cut the pins off of the existing pilot and co-pilot headset harnesses, Connect them appropriately to the new wires using the splices, and then plugging 6 of the new wire's pins into vacant holes on the WH-00026 "Options" connector. The remaining wire gets plugged into a vacant hole on the WH-00026 Autopilot 37 pin connector.

No word yet about the under-panel USB port issue.

I received my avionics kit about 1 week ago, but had not received 5.1 submit from the finishing kit. This is the main wire harnessing the the tunnel. Has anyone received this kit yet?

5.1 kit

Van's shipped out 20 of the 5.1 wire harness kits. They had several problems and are getting those corrected before they ship out any more. Be glad you were not one of the 20... Hopefully I got the last fix in the mail yesterday.

I installed the intercom wiring adapter harness today. Very straightforward. The only slight confusion is:

Back on page 31-10 (fuselage section) of the existing plans shows the intercom jacks being installed. The harness is not referred to by wire number. My harnesses are labelled as "pilot" and "copilot" without wire numbers.

The new Skyview plans page 42D-20 REVISION 1 (!!!) refers to those wires not as pilot and copilot, but as wires RZ194 and RZ195. Hmmm... which is which?

Well if you have the OLD section 42 (Dynon D-180 avionics, section is downloadable from Vans) you will see on page 42-14 Rev 1 that RZ-194 is pilot and RZ-195 is copilot. I found it helpful to mark that on my new plans page "42D-20 REV 1" as I went through the revision.

I have not yet tested the intercom though, or the VHF radi,o because I am building off-airport. No AWOS. I installed the BACKSHELL 2 in the tail. I am going to re-verify ADAHRS function AND do the pitot and static leak tests in the PAP BEFORE I put in the fuel tank and block my access to back there!!! (Highly advised!) Engine fluid addition and first start coming up!

powered headset outlet

Does the SkyView installation include powered headset outlets?
That WAS in the original Vans press release...

I cannot find in the Van's Skyview presentation file where this was mentioned, and I do not recall ever hearing about it. There is no 12V power provided to the headset jacks that is identified as such. There is one extra wire in the Skyview conversion harness that splits, with a branch running to each jack area, where it is tied off "for future." But from reading the instructions I am thinking it might be a ground return (the existing jacks ground to the airframe.) I get that from the page that discusses the pros and cons of total harness replacement, conversion harnesses, and pin swapping.

The differences in the connectors to many different brands of powered headsets would seem to me to preclude this as an easy option.

Now, I have one powered headset. It runs off either a little battery box (9V) or a module that connects to ship's 12V power (that has its own inline 0.25 amp fuse). The wiring for it and the jack are in place, ready for for completion after certification. It is easy to find the 12V power and ground in the intercom harness for a future splice. (My power module instructions said that the ground should be the intercom ground, not the airframe.)

Another pop up was that my fuel flow transducer does not have a Molex connector. Parts are on their way. The tech support guys acknowledged it and parts are on the way.

The support from Vans has been excellent.

Does the SkyView installation include powered headset outlets?

When I had Abby do my interior I told her that I wanted an extra length cutout in the carpet for the headset power at the plug location. She contacted Vans to determine where the cutout should be and was told that there would be NO headset power included with Skyview. I too thought I had read it would be included.

I cannot find in the Van's Skyview presentation file where this was mentioned, and I do not recall ever hearing about it. There is no 12V power provided to the headset jacks that is identified as such. There is one extra wire in the Skyview conversion harness that splits, with a branch running to each jack area, where it is tied off "for future." But from reading the instructions I am thinking it might be a ground return (the existing jacks ground to the airframe.) I get that from the page that discusses the pros and cons of total harness replacement, conversion harnesses, and pin swapping.

The differences in the connectors to many different brands of powered headsets would seem to me to preclude this as an easy option.

Now, I have one powered headset. It runs off either a little battery box (9V) or a module that connects to ship's 12V power (that has its own inline 0.25 amp fuse). The wiring for it and the jack are in place, ready for for completion after certification. It is easy to find the 12V power and ground in the intercom harness for a future splice. (My power module instructions said that the ground should be the intercom ground, not the airframe.)

page 31
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/FaceBook/RV-12ElectricalSystem-Skyview.pdf

"Audio Powered Headset
An audio power wire is
included in the wiring
harness bringing power to
the headset jack area.
As an option this may be
used to provide power to
a ANR headset through a
industry standard LEMO
(Redel) 6-pin round
connector"

Is the installed new USB hub instead of the old data dsub in the the tunnel?
Or is the USB hub for the control board and do we need a separate USB for the Dynon screen?

Regarding the headset, maybe that wire is for 12V. I already sealed the end so I don't want to check it and had run prior wires to the module I mention. My headset does not use a 6 pin connector.
The Skyview system does not have an installed serial port extension under the instrument panel or in the tunnel. There are several serial ports available on the D-1000 for different purposes.
The back of the D-1000 has some standard USB ports - inconvenient to get at! So the wiring harness includes a USB port that is installed in the panel base facing downward. This is the port I am referring to. Vans provided me with pinout info and I need to now check that physical port to see if maybe a wire is disconnected inside it. Note that a little USB extender cable (male to female) could be run it from one of those ports on the back of the D-1000 over to the mapbox or out through that little panel hole.

See the prior post earlier in this thread about getting (or not!) flight and engine data out of the D-1000! Page 5, post title "NEW SKYVIEW VERSION 3.3"

I have powered up and yes the wire to the head phone (orn/brn) jacks is +12. I belive the wt/red is to the elt is for future ADS-B, The long yel/grn and prp/yel (vans calls yel/prp)are to roll bar light(works with dimmer) I am still waiting on the AP and headphone fix.

I have powered up and yes the wire to the head phone (orn/brn) jacks is +12. I belive the wt/red is to the elt is for future ADS-B, The long yel/grn and prp/yel (vans calls yel/prp)are to roll bar light(works with dimmer) I am still waiting on the AP and headphone fix.

Revisions posted 03-20

On Vans site 3 revisions to the Skyview are posted but one of them to me didn't fit, 31B-21. I have no other 31B plans section so page 21 didn't fit. However, 42C-19 in the AHRS install page, page 20 is left blank, and since this revision discribes the wiring to the d-sub which plugs into the AHRS I think this is where it should be.

Other opinions? Maybe I'm way off base.

Remember, what we guys doing the Skyview CONVERSION are doing is also going to have to be incorporated by others not as far along in the build. They get different harnesses than we got and won't be doing things like removing wires like we are. That means revising other parts of the plans set with Skyview rather than D-180 information - parts that we have completed but others have not. This 31B-21 seems to be a revision that does that for people getting a newer finish kit with different, Skyview harnesses.

Thanks again Bill. With any of the revisions I wish there was more information about the application and what the change is.

Just me maybe but when these revisions are posted it seems like a "hunt" to figure out what changed. Oh, well.....keeping after it!

Oh say it ain't so!

Every revision that Vans post is like that. This complaint has be voiced Over and over again. :mad:Maybe some one out there will bring this to their attention at the next brainstorming session. ;)

Regarding the USB PORT beneath the panel not working, it turns out that the plug itself was defective. All of the wiring was correct. Steinair is sending me a new one and butt splices so - no problem!

The symptoms were that the memory stick would work fine in the other ports on back of the D-1000. In the below panel port the stick would light up but not be recognized. Bad contact to the pins, apparently.

I may run a little USB extender cable (male to female) from one of those back-of-the-D1000 ports over into the map box. I have one sitting around doing nothing.

Bill H.

I plan to move the USB jack from the bottom to one of the front panels where it is more convenient to plug in a memory stick.

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble with the LSA certification police....

Bob Bogash
N737G

Our issue : The P156 and P157 wires that power the panel had voltage, but the fuses had none. Removal and inspection revealed that two pins had not been soldered to the circuit board....very important ones, the master relay pins.

We went thru troubleshooting including battery charge, grounding and checking wires and plugs in general before it was located. Van's is sending a new unit.

21ki33q.jpg

AP AND HEADPHONE

What AP or autopilot fix are there to do I know headphone wire has no place to go Ready to fire up but not sure don't want to burn anything I got a email from Van that they are sending me a longer 00027 harness I am confused.
Bayne

Hint of the day: Today I did a variety of Skyview configuration items, stepping through the installation guide. BTW, the latest version of the Installation Guide and the Pilots's Guide (covering the new features of version 3.3) are at the Dynon Website.

I am going through the Production Acceptance Procedures and got to the electric trim check. Now, I had tested the trim motor earlier with a 12V source, no problems. So I try the panel switch for the first time - NOTHING! Uh oh. Turned out to be the potentiometer in the AV-50000 box. The instructions say that they all come set about mid range. And, that if you turn them too much they go out of the full range and no function will result. Well, this one wasn't wasn't set midrange! I eventually got it set to cycle the trim in 27 seconds middle of the specified 25-30. So if your trim initially doesn't work, try adjusting the pot before trying to recheck all the wiring connections.

To adjust that one pot you have to unscrew the ignition switch module from the pane because the Van's supplied tool is too long. All the other pots are on the side where that is not a problem. Alternative would have been to cut the tool but that wasn't necessary.

Bayne - I do not understand your question above. You will be receiving an intercom harness from Vans with instructions. Regarding that and the autopilot, reread some of the prior posts in this thread. The answers are there. I also did the ground-based part of the autopilot servo calibration today - worked fine!

We have to read the Skyview installation manual and do what it says section by section. There is no alternative.

Bill H.

Bill does the Skyview kit come with engine monitor senders, or does that come with the engine kit.
My engine kit came with two EGT probes. The CHT comes from a permanent installation on the Rotax engine - not sparkplug "washers" as you see on many engines. The fuel pressure sensor also came with the engine kit, as did the manifold pressure computer and the oil pressure sensor (which is mounted on the engine, so that one wasn't a surprise).

Significant Skyview-related problem - No Starter!

Today I was going to charge up the oil system following Larry Geiger's method. 3 QTS in the tank, then careful and sequential engine cranking to build oil pressure. There is also coolant in the engine. All 4 bottom spark plugs are OUT.

Master on. Skyview on. Volts at 12.3.

IGN both OFF. No fuel has yet been put in the tank. The fuel pump fuse is removed.

Even though the wings are not attached, the spar pins are in and there is no spar pin warning. (Both pins do work and have been position-verified to activate the spar warning if either is moved.)

Power to avionics is working (i.e. radio, transponder, and AP servos).

IMPORTANT: The FAN in the Van's AV-50000A box is running as it always has whenever the master is turned on.

+++
So I turn the key for the first time.
+++

The engine spins for 4 SECONDS and stops.
The fan to the AV-50000A (Serial Number 38) has stopped.
No further attempts with the key do anything.
There is no "click" when turning the starter key EXCEPT for the click in the starter switch itself.
Voltage still at 12.3.
Power is still going to the Skyview and avionics.
No fuses are blown.
EDITED - INCORRECT INCORRECT INCORRECT - the 2 amp starter circuit fuse was blown!
The electric trim works.

But - power is NOT going to the spar pins. Moving them out of position does not activate the spar warning light. Also trying to start when holding the spar override switch in makes no difference.

Cycling the master switch several times over several minutes/hours (waits between each one) does NOT result in the AV-50000A fan coming back on. Turning the Master on always results in that satisfying "thunk."

ALL connections to the AV-50000 are tight. There is a 4 amp draw shown on the Skyview with Transponder and AP servos running, 3 amp without them. No increase in amps when starter switch is turned.

I'm sending this message to Vans and intend to call them Monday morning.

RESPONSE: Replacing that fuse seems to have solved the problem. We are thinking that it was a "weak" fuse. Several subsequent cranks of the engine with no further problems. That fuse also powers the fan inside the AV-50000A and the spar pin detection.

Last edited:
To adjust that one pot you have to unscrew the ignition switch module from the pane because the Van's supplied tool is too long. All the other pots are on the side where that is not a problem. Alternative would have been to cut the tool but that wasn't necessary.

To allow access to the trip pot with the ign mod. installed, you can cut the adjuster tool in half to make two short tools.

Fuel Calibration with the Skyview

Fuel calibration went very well. Now, the Skyview "wakes up" thinking that there are two tanks installed, both uncalibrated. So - which do you calibrate? The manual doesn't say. And you can only look at one tank sensor at a time during the calibration - you don't want to pick the wrong one, put in a couple of gallons, and then have to empty it and start over! (Remember, the mains have to be on 2 inch blocks to do the calibration per the PAP.)

Well, it is the LEFT tank to use. I thought they might have chosen the right tank since it is on the right side of the plane. But I went to the calibration page for the right tank and saw that the EMPTY tank reading was at 5 Volts - a nice round and suspect number! So I cancelled out of that and looked at the LEFT tank. It said 2.73 V. Aha!

So I began calibrating the LEFT tank and sure enough as I added the required 2 gallons at a time, the voltage went down. When I was all done I edited off the right tank from the engine display pages. For reference here are my numbers:
Gallons Volts
0 2.73
2 2.46
4 2.26
6 2.06
8 1.83
10 1.58
12 1.31
14 0.74
16 0.66
After adding the 16th gallon, the Skyview said "Last point did not change." I accepted that and completed the calibration. The float pegs out even though the tank and filler neck is not totally full at that point.

Van's is looking into the issue with the AV-50000A box. Will report more when I know.

Tank calibration

It has been a while ago but I did a similar tank calibration on my RV6 and ran into a similar circumstance. It was related to the float geometry.
I had 19 gal. tanks, in the wings, and with the dihedral in the wing, I got to 16 gal. and there was not enough change to progress. So when the tank was full it stayed on full until it got down enough to start the float down and so on. It was really very accurate but I never really trusted it.
I would think with the tank configuration and location in the 12 it would calibrate to at least 18 or 19 gal. :rolleyes:

A side note also Bill.....removing the pins from a d-sub, which color tool did you use? I am trying to get the pins out of the 9-pin in back to reconfigure it with the new wires/pins. The tools sent are the red insertion/extractor type and it seems too big. What do you think? Also I thought it was a "little strange" plans 42D would come before 42C but the conversion would have to occur before installation I guess.
My B/O harness EFIS showed up this weekend to include the USB I was looking for. Everything looks good.

A red-white D-Sub tool came with the Finish kit. Then another one was sent with the Skyview kit. I think it was the one with a copper-colored end (metal) and it was different than the earlier one. (Maybe for those new style wing connector pins?) I used the earlier red-white one to remove pins - the end that fit tightest against the wire going into the back of the plug. For *all* knowledge about crimping, pins, etc - go to http://www.aeroelectric.com/ Great tutorial and explanatory PDF files with up-close photos. A really great resource.

And yes - 42D before 42C! I think that is because if you buy a new RV-12 kit now, you will never get 42D at all because you will have harnesses and hardware (like the ADAHRS brackets) designed to fit SV in the first place.

The PAP procedures say to fill/calibrate to only 16 gallons. I also figured I could do 18. Nope. The float hits. Now remember, you have the main gear on 2 inch blocks and not the nose gear - so you are in a slight nose-down attitude when doing the calibration. And the float is (if I remember) something like 5/8 inch in diameter. So when it hits the top of the tank there is still room for more fuel. The POH says 19.8 gallons full. Some folks fill the filler neck.

I have edited the above post about engine cranking - problem solved. The starter 2AMP fuse had in fact blown. Replacing it provided for several more full cranks with no subsequent problem.

We are thinking that it was a "weak" fuse. That fuse also powers the fan inside the AV-50000A and the spar pin detection circuit. All is well again.

I have edited the above post about engine cranking - problem solved. The starter 2AMP fuse had in fact blown. Replacing it provided for several more full cranks with no subsequent problem.

We are thinking that it was a "weak" fuse. That fuse also powers the fan inside the AV-50000A and the spar pin detection circuit. All is well again.

Outstanding news, I'm a few days from engine start and you had me a little skeerd. Good Luck going forward.

ohhh and more

The new fuse panel we received works great, now if skyview will cooperate. The GPS would not come online and i think we found why.

20tpicm.jpg

Internal Voltages : FAIL

This is a skyview internal error and we have to ship it back to dynon for service. Just wanted to see the pretty maps :)

FAA regustration

Has any one registered there airplane with the FAA yet.
How soon can we do it.
If so how did it go.
Bayne

Production procedure

The production procedure configuration and the other material were all for
RV12 with the old Dynon system not the skyview Did anyone get any update
paper work with the Skyview system.
Bayne

I just got my FAA Registration certificate - today March 29th. The envelope with the application arrived at the FAA offices in OK City on either March 22 or 23rd! Now that is fast response!

BGL - I haven't found anything in the PAP that was so Skyview-specific that it made a difference in the checkout, except one item about checking the AP-74 autopilot module - which we don't get. Marked it "n/a for Skyview"

For what it's worth

I ordered the Skyview on February 8, received on March 30 confirmation by VANs that shipment is 3 to 4 weeks down the road. That would be about a 2.5 months delay from ordering date. I have not ordered the Rotax yet. :)

Running wires back to the cone

Bill H & others

I used bill's technique getting those wires, the one with 4 wires and the 2 twisted ones, through the center and into the cone. Loosen the bracket above the rudder pedals to fish down through the first 2 bulkheads which have the added snap bushings. Then the fun begins.
I loosened the 3 screws/nuts holding down the left side of the nylon wire/tube holders on the floor. I used some long forsepts (sp?) to feed the wires through and then through the tight snap bushing before you go into the center structure behind the seats. I had wrapped the end of the wire groups with spirled masking tape which worked okay but could have been a little stiffer. The twisted wires had the wht/red wire which I dropped off in the center and then used #30 safety wire to fish it out to the ELT location. The last bulkheads and into the cone was no problem comparied to the forward section.
I re-did the 9 pin d-sub and OAT plug (small wires are a little tough) and hung the ADAHRS. I will hook-up the pitot and static tubes later.
Feel free to email me direct with any questions but there is a lot of good information in this thread already.

Sanity check time

We are currently installing the conversion harnesses and I wanted to check with others to make sure I'm not missing something.

WH-00025 Skyview Autopilot Harness is not used at all. True or false?

We have located the intercom on the left hand panel and we would like to use the WH-00042 Intercom Conversion Harness connected directly to the Flightcom 403. The plans on page 42D-20 shows connecting the WH-00042 to the WH-RV12-FLTCOM403 harness. We have been unable to locate the WH-RV12-FLTCOM403 harness and hopefully don't need it. Is this doable or do I need to contact Vans?

There are two long wires (PRP/YEL) and (YEL/GRN) that are not labeled but I believe these are the wires described on Page 42D-19 - one color is reversed - and it says to cut and heat shrink if you have the lighting kit. Is this what others have done?

My WH-L456 and WH-L458 are white in color versus the (YEL/RED) desribed on page 42D-23. Just an observation.

We routed the wires to the ADAHRS without removing the pitot tubing - not terribly difficult but tedious. A pair ot two of long handled forceps comes in handy.

Regards,

DWB

Back