What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 access plate in floor for step

avee8tor13

Well Known Member
Has anyone cut out an access hole in the floor to the step mounting location? I am going to install bushings in the step to prevent the step from moving back and forth.

Many of us did, however if you install an insert inside the step tube to keep it from deforming under the bolt/nut pressure and upsize to 1/4" hardware it's highly unlikely you'll never need access. If you stick with the AN3 bolt and no insert then it won't take long to be glad you have the access panel.

Another important safety tip - install the bolt upside down, otherwise you'll never be able to remove it due to the location and relationship to the side panels.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

All of the above for me.

I installed the bushings, added doors, and also created holes in the baggage floors to remove the bolt vertically at a later date. It does require the removal of the side panel to access the extraction hole though.

Phil

Here is a picture for you. Note that I used two bolts for the installation. A AN4 bolt that replaced the original and an additional AN3 bolt at 90 degrees.
I also riveted a 4.5" by 4.5", .063 stiffener to the inner rib that holds the plastic bushing which secures the inner part of the step. This rib showed signs of flexing when weight was added to the step. The step is a rather large lever when you get a large guy jumping on it and a great deal of that load is transfered to the inner rib.
The additional forward inspection hole provides access to one of the com antennae and wire runs.

Back