What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checklists and Mnemonics

Well Known Member
I really don't like mnemonics, as they never seem to stick in my brain. I can remember the cute acronym, but have trouble remembering what each letter stands for. It's easier for me to just remember each item in sequence or remember a physical flow.

That said, my early instructors taught me to do a "BLT" check--Boost pump, Landing light, transponder. Of the three, obviously the only one related to takeoff safety is the boost pump. I never used it much until one day I ended up taking off with the mixture leaned back far enough so that my power was reduced, but not so far as to stumble on power application. After that, I modified the BLT check to Mmm! BLT -- meaning "Mixture! etc."

Now, flying the Mooney, I have a lot more to check before I start to roll, so it's more of a physical flow from the trim and flap indicators up through the mixture and prop, over to the boost pump switch. All of this stuff is supposed to have been set in the runup checklist or before, so the physical flow is a final check that everything is where it ought to be before taxiing out on the runway.

All of this is making me think about what my panel design will look like, to make sure there is a reasonable and easy flow for critical items pre-takeoff. I am becoming a big fan of Mooney's panel layout (except for the engine instruments way over on the right hand side--but I have a JPI EDM right next to the six pack so that's not as much of an issue). I am going to try to emulate the clean panel design of the Mooney where it makes sense to in the RV-10.

I feel similarly about mnemonics, but to each his own.

When it comes to pre-takeoff, I make sure to physically touch and check everything that is red. For me that's the fuel selector, canopy lock handle, fuel boost pump switch, and mixture.

Chris

I like all the engine bits on my left so kids can't touch .. but my master mnemonic works: "If airplane donna fly imma gonna die" so I tend to check everything ... (still trying to figure out how to pronounce IADFIGD", I-Add-Fig-Da" maybe?) :D

Last edited:
When I got my LR JET rating way too many years ago, I was taught that as you took the runway for takeoff you checked, said and touched "spoilers, flaps and trim." These are the "bust your a**" items on takeoff.

For the RV I changed that to "fuel, flaps and trim." Fuel; appropriate tank, mixture set and boost pump "on." Flaps; et as required (usually UP). Trim; set for takeoff. Yes there are other things as well but most will not kill you.

YMMV

I haven?t turned a transponder on, or off n a very long time. Not even on my checklist.

CIGAR TIP (I typically only use ?Cigar? as I don?t remember what the ?I? in ?TIP? was..
Controls free
Instruments set
Gas (fuel quantity and valve position, mixture, pump etc...)
Attitude (trim setting, may be slightly forward or back depending on loading)
Run Up

Transponder (usually left on the whole time now a days)
I (I forgot what this was.. anybody help? Lol)
Prop full forward.

I once learned ?Can I Go Fly Today Peter Rabbit? for Controls, Instruments, Gas, Flaps, Trim, Prop, Runup. There was an adult version of this mnemonic too that involves a ?Pretty Redhead? but in the interest of being family friendly, I won?t post it. You can figure it out on your own or message me for it if you need to know lol.

I'll take a smooth flowing written check list any day over mnemonics or acronyms any day of the week.

I am becoming a big fan of Mooney's panel layout ...I am going to try to emulate the clean panel design of the Mooney where it makes sense to in the RV-10.

FWIW, I too fly a Mooney and tried to emulate it's panel layout in my 10 build. Here's a couple of pics of how it's turning out in case you can take any ideas from it. Not flying yet, but will be soon!!!

The switches in lower left side follow Mooney flow...Master, boost pump, avionics master, Strobes, Nav lights, landing lights, taxi lights. I also added a blue "Boost Pump" light in annunciator lights to remind me pump is on after takeoff.

ACtC-3eHsiN46L42MlwwF6_Vn5RitdIPCR9EHf9AHePsri90cZ9ER6_3o-PS64KZKbB3HqMg1Qyl-6n9RKPUe8Q6gT_st5NnlBpQXiavyEXFezg_TWjcMEtJ8OoWd6abxuLeMuqvMzdPfTm_m9cj7POm-xtH6w=w836-h627

ACtC-3fXtvKoG10SXeSpH6nbLz2RcpgsLyD4xPx6wLSQPVMSU_Y5zTBHZR-dnIMj1d-R6paQjdgS56FYkpkaYFsi35SBMnv3B8k4MiBINmdGUHwt7ix-J2bL41bBrtvUfsGcqj_mAMB0bJrJFSKHxWTRBz7GYQ=w1022-h766

CIGAR TIP (I typically only use ?Cigar? as I don?t remember what the ?I? in ?TIP? was..
Controls free
Instruments set
Gas (fuel quantity and valve position, mixture, pump etc...)
Attitude (trim setting, may be slightly forward or back depending on loading)
Run Up

Transponder (usually left on the whole time now a days)
I (I forgot what this was.. anybody help? Lol)
Prop full forward.

I use that also. The "I" is "Interior", and that can be seat belts, door latch, donuts, piddle pack....whatever.

If you're going to emulate a Mooney panel layout, emulate one of the later models like the Ovation or Acclaim. I flew an Acclaim for 11 years and was able to stow my checklist after 3 months. The flow is so logical and natural that I never missed a single item, no matter what phase of flight.

My 8, on the other hand, which I've had 7 years, has a good layout for steam gauges but I still rely on the checklist for every flight.

FWIW, I too fly a Mooney and tried to emulate it's panel layout in my 10 build. Here's a couple of pics of how it's turning out in case you can take any ideas from it. Not flying yet, but will be soon!!!
The switches in lower left side follow Mooney flow...Master, boost pump, avionics master, Strobes, Nav lights, landing lights, taxi lights. I also added a blue "Boost Pump" light in annunciator lights to remind me pump is on after takeoff.

The only thing I might change here is the location of the "boost pump" switch.
I would not want the boost pump switch (something that is switched several times during flight) between the Master and the Avionics Master (Things that normally remain on for the entire flight).

BTW, I also added a blue indicator light to the boost pump on my -6.

Having flown for many years professionally (now retired) I committed to memory those items that would kill you cause I flew so many different types mostly SP. Those types I flew (light twins to heavy metal)multi crew wasn't an issue as it was done by the book and SOP's.
Now I just drive my 8 and a small single seater plywood machine for fun, I'm the only one that fly's them, they are kept in my hangar so I know their status at all times.
That old saying can be a lifesaver......" Chance favours the prepared mind" :)

The only thing I might change here is the location of the "boost pump" switch.
I would not want the boost pump switch (something that is switched several times during flight) between the Master and the Avionics Master (Things that normally remain on for the entire flight).

BTW, I also added a blue indicator light to the boost pump on my -6.

On my '78 201, the boost pump switch is near the right hand side of the switch gang, between the elevator trim disconnect and the pitot heat switch. It's fairly easy to reach with the right thumb when the hand is on the throttle control. The master and avionics master are far on the left side near the key switch, separated from all other switches.

For the RV-10, I am thinking about putting the flap controls on the stick, with a backup on the center console near the throttle quadrant. I have planned on useing the Aerosport quadrant mount between the seats, but the more I fly the Mooney, the more I am thinking about using push-pull controls because I like the vernier style mixture control. But I will probably end up with the quadrant.

That's a good point! My 83' 201 Mooney has it next to Avionics Master. Been flying the Mooney for 9 years now with no issues. Now that you've planted this thought in my head, I'm sure my avionics will get "rebooted" next time I go to switch tanks. :)

That's a good point! My 83' 201 Mooney has it next to Avionics Master. Been flying the Mooney for 9 years now with no issues. Now that you've planted this thought in my head, I'm sure my avionics will get "rebooted" next time I go to switch tanks. :)

I wonder why they moved it from the original position to the less intuitive spot. It seems like the location in my '78 is just about right, whereas the later location has the potential to cause confusion and maybe a safety issue.

I use that also. The "I" is "Interior", and that can be seat belts, door latch, donuts, piddle pack....whatever.

Same here, except my second word is TIPL where P is "Passengers - briefed and ready" (Prop was full forward for runup) and L is "Lights". Works across a variety of aircraft, as long as one thinks about what each checklist item encompasses for that particular plane (cowl flaps when checking Attitude, etc.).

Transponder is still a needed check for me, as I have to check the code to be appropriate as only a certain percentage of my flights use a 1200 squawk.

Back