What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick and Lasar SB3-08A

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Unison revised the BRUSH Service Bulletin yesterday and released SB3-08A today.

They have a replacement brush that eliminates the 25 and 50 hour inspections.

Here is a QUOTE:
Service Bulletin ending compliance can be documented if existing magneto is
replaced by new magneto with serial number 08080454 or later, or if the carbon brush and/or distributor block has been replaced by one manufactured after August 14, 2008, or if the magneto has accumulated 500 hours of engine operating time and has passed the Service Bulletin inspection requirements. Make an appropriate logbook entry.

If you find someone that has the new brush in stock, please report back with their name, URL, phone number, and price.

Link?

Gary,

Is there a link for this updated SB? I don't see it on the Unison web site, they only have the -08 version.

Thanks-

You need a PAID Unison subscription to get it. Someone like Lycoming will have it out for everyone in time. I would post it but there are COPYWRITE issues so I cannot post it.

Brush or brush and block

Gary,

To eliminate the inspections do you need the brush only or both the brush and the distributor block?

Thanks,
Andy

No, you don't need to subscribe...

The SB3-08A PDF Service Bulletin is on the right-hand side of the sign-up page, free for all to download. Look here:

https://unisonpubs.com/default_setup.asp

The brush and distributor block must be replaced...AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE!!! Even on a brand-new mag I have sitting in a box here. GRRRRRR!! :mad::mad::mad:

I sent this to Unison this morning. They have fixed their website so their customers CAN NOT get the current SB without signing up for their $40/yr service!:mad:

Technical Publications Management:

Chuck Currier,
Director, Customer Support
(904) 739-4117 / (904) 739-4006 Fax
[email protected]

As director of customer service, I think you should know that your customers think it is outrageous that you would charge us for the subject service bulletin when we will also have to pay for the parts and labor to fix your subject lack of quality control. I have TWO Slick mags with only test stand time on them that are subject to this SB.

Terry Frazier 702-278-0273

This is the reply I received...

Mr. Frazier,

Chuck Currier forwarded your message to me.

I do appreciate your concerns but our policy remains that we will honor
warranty for parts that do not pass the SB inspections. Our warranty
does not include provisions for labor or other items other than
hardware.

Separately, the revision to the SB, SB3-08A, did reduce the frequency of
inspections along with presenting steps to terminate the SB.

Best regards,

Dave Conklin2

Ain't Aviation Wunnerful???

"Separately, the revision to the SB, SB3-08A, did reduce the frequency of
inspections along with presenting steps to terminate the SB."

Yup! You can terminate the SB by spending MORE of YOUR MONEY! :mad:

At lea$t the part$ are..... uh, "at co$t", I wa$ told when I called Uni$on.

...and SB3-08A is still available for download at the link in my previous post, under 'Special Notices'. I Just tried it.

warranty

will they replace the parts for free if the mags are new and under warranty?

I knew there was a reason I had a note in my "airplane to-do" file to avoid the Slick mags - now I remember why!:eek:

Just a note... You need javascript enabled, and pop-up blocker disabled for the SB link to work.

Brush and/or block

So I can terminate the service bulletin by replacing a $5 brush since it says and/or but the $200 distributor block may still go bad and cause the mag to fail?

Andy

<<Someone like Lycoming will have it out for everyone in time. I would post it but there are COPYWRITE issues so I cannot post it.>>

Gary,
OK, can't post it, but can you tell us what it says?

To end repetitive inspection, do you install just the new updated carbon brush, or must you install an entire parts kit (brush, distributor block, gear assembly, whatever)?

Spoke with Joe at Unison today. Expected ship date on the next batch of carbon brushes is several weeks away. None at the four listed Unison distributors. If you find some elsewhere let me know; I need four. There are some brush and distributor block kits available at around $100 each.

If you are within the 1 year warranty period, Unison will supply new mags, in theory. They will not warranty anything unless it shows damage per the SB, so if your engine has not been flown, forget it.

If you're within the first year and can document damage, claiming a new set of mags might be a good option, as the SB lists some other internal changes. I don't know if the mags are actually available. My bet is you'll have some downtime.

When past the 1 year period, you get a credit for bad parts when you send your old parts back via the source of your replacement parts. As I understand it, you pay up front and get reimbursed later. I didn't ask about time limits, but Joe did offer the parts credit on a set of 4 year old mags with 135 hours. Moot if you catch the problem early and just have bad brushes; they're about $5 each, no big deal. Ain't worth the postage to send the old ones back.

FWIW, the 135 hr mags (serial 0506xxxx) did have brushes with damaged cylindrical surfaces. The surface was breaking up (quite rough under magnification) and shedding carbon into the mag. Enough of that and I guess you'll get the arcing damage on the bearing bar and need the $100 kit.

Parts in stock

Progressive Air has the Slick parts kits at the discounted price. I only have one mag and bought the following :

1ea. K3822 Dist.blk kit ............. in stock ..... $ 96.80ea. usd.
1ea. M3081 Point .....................in stock ..... $ 13.80ea.

Progressive Air
Kamloops, BC
(250) 376-6226

Andy
McKinney, TX

Back