What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power & Carling Switches

jtate747

I recently purchased a RV-6 with a Vertical Power Sport box in it. I am finishing up the electrical system and would like to install 10 Carling Contura V switches. I am looking for help with the wiring of the switches to this configuration. The switches I am trying to install have both a dependent light and an independent light. THX for any help.

Not Easy

There is no easy way to do this. I have the VP-X pro and Carling Contura switches in my plane. The issue is that there is no real current from the VP-X to light the LEDs. One work-around is to run a separate line from the VP-X output back to the independent LED, but that basically doubles the number of wires from the VP-X outputs. It also complicated the VP-X?s ability to identify short circuits.

You could buy all DPDT switches and run the second pole through the switch, then through the LED to ground. This then only really indicates switch position, not if the output is on or off. For example you could turn on the landing light, have the LED on the switch go on, but the landing light be off because the VP-X sensed an over-current condition and shut it down.

The same goes for the other LED. You could wire it through the cabin light switch if you just want it illuminated at night, but it would be difficult to use to indicate a fault condition. With some work you could design a circuit that would illuminate the second LED if the switch position did not match the VP-X output, but it certainly isn?t simple.

You could buy all DPDT switches and run the second pole through the switch, then through the LED to ground. This then only really indicates switch position, not if the output is on or off. For example you could turn on the landing light, have the LED on the switch go on, but the landing light be off because the VP-X sensed an over-current condition and shut it down.

This is what I did. If you have a fault, you should get an alert from the VPX. I don't depend on the switch LED to tell me fault conditions.

bob

All,

Thanks for the quick replies to my first post! I am ok with getting any warning from the VPX box. I am looking to have switches that are readable at night and indicate when I have commanded a device "ON". If I could get the Contura switch to work, would be happy with that.

I looked at Bob's build log and see the switch wiring configuration, but have yet to find a switch that is a simple OFF ON switch that is DPDT. It looks like it has now been 5 years since you built your plane, but if you can recall part numbers, etc - would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any ideas that would work in a similar way in function and looks, I am open to other ideas.
Huge Thanks!

Last edited:
All,

Thanks for the quick replies to my first post! I am ok with getting any warning from the VPX box. I am looking to have switches that are readable at night and indicate when I have commanded a device "ON". If I could get the Contura switch to work, would be happy with that.

I looked at Bob's build log and see the switch wiring configuration, but have yet to find a switch that is a simple OFF ON switch that is DPDT. It looks like it has now been 5 years since you built your plane, but if you can recall part numbers, etc - would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any ideas that would work in a similar way in function and looks, I am open to other ideas.
Huge Thanks!

I think this one might do the job for you, with a custom actuator of course...

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8275/Contura_Switch_DPDT_Gray_-_ON-ON

Custom actuators here -

https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/custom-rocker-switch-actuator/

Cheaper version here....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0K7E42/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1

Looking at exactly the same thing as you for my -10. Getting circuit warning from the VPX on the Skyview screen only would be OK for me too.

My confusion is which way is "ON" for the rocker switches when mounted in an Aerosport panel. Do you press the top of the rocker for ON? Or the other way around?
Some of the literature talks about European vs. US standards, just like household light switches. :)

Last edited:
up or down

This picture shows the up/down question I had -

SwitchPanel2.jpg

In this pic I would say the middle switch is in the ON position, but I'm not sure if that is what the indicating lights say, or what the standard convention is.

I was thinking I would prefer a two lamp switch with the upper section being the "label" and always illuminated, and a lit-up indicator (usually a line or oval on the Carling actuators) on the lower part of the switch coming on when the circuit is active.

Does this make sense? it is easily done with the switch in my post #7. The Aerosport switches for two lights have a not so simple ON/OFF/ON actuation.

Looks like either could work, but I am hoping to have :
1. A simple ON OFF switch
2. All Top lights illuminated when Avionics Master is turned ON.
3. Lower light ON when that particular switch is on.

I think the SPDT switch may work. . . . But now the stupid question on how to wire it.

I plan to keep top lights (7-8) independent of bottom lights & circuit.

Also looks like I can wire 9 - 10 outside VPX logic as well & run those lights parallel to device? (So when device (ie, landing lights) turns ON, VPX will supply power to 9 along with power to landing lights, etc) 10 would be grounded.

So, now how to wire from VPX to 2,3,5,6????

Note: VPX activates the device without the load going through the switch. When switch is activated, it simply completes the circuit to ground to signal the VPX to actually send current to named device.

Thanks again!

Looks like either could work, but I am hoping to have :
1. A simple ON OFF switch
2. All Top lights illuminated when Avionics Master is turned ON.
3. Lower light ON when that particular switch is on.

I think the SPDT switch may work. . . . But now the stupid question on how to wire it.

I plan to keep top lights (7-8) independent of bottom lights & circuit.

Also looks like I can wire 9 - 10 outside VPX logic as well & run those lights parallel to device? (So when device (ie, landing lights) turns ON, VPX will supply power to 9 along with power to landing lights, etc) 10 would be grounded.

So, now how to wire from VPX to 2,3,5,6????

Note: VPX activates the device without the load going through the switch. When switch is activated, it simply completes the circuit to ground to signal the VPX to actually send current to named device.

Thanks again!

Go for the simple double pole ON/OFF switch shown in post #7

With 2 independent lamps you should be able to VPX wire it in any combination. One pole is wired with the diode as per the VPX manual and the other pole can switch the one of the lamps on/off. The other lamp can be always on controlled by the panel lights.

I moved some of the switch actuator discussion to a new thread here -

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1238065&posted=1#post1238065

Last edited:
Back