What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Spring Removal

BenPoff

Anyone ever tried to remove a tailwheel spring? I want to replace mine on my RV-4, but it seems to be stuck. Any tricks out there? Thanks!

I did this on my RV-7 a while back.

I applied Mouse Milk in the bolt hole, and tapped on the steel a bit. I then used a butane torch and pointed the flame "close" to where the tail spring went into the fuselage. I used the aft most bolt holes as leverage points to twist and/push-pull the spring.

It took a bit, I found that applying a "shock" twisting moment broke it free.

When you put the new one in, remember to grease it. That will make the next time a lot easier.

Same goes for gear legs and such.

Carl

Last edited:
What Smithflys23 said is accurate.

The Flyboy PDF gives good info too. (I wrote it.) Be sure to chock the mains securely so you can PULL and TWIST on the tailwheel spring. Some are very stubborn, but they always come out.

You'll get a ton of different opinions but KRoil is a great penetrant and corrosion lifter/eater. Aero Kroil to be specific. Aerospace techs (unofficially) live by it. It can only help you here.

You'll get a ton of different opinions but KRoil is a great penetrant and corrosion lifter/eater. Aero Kroil to be specific. Aerospace techs (unofficially) live by it. It can only help you here.

And it smells like manliness. I use it for cologne. The wife goes bananas. :D

Tailspring removal - problem solved

Thanks everyone that posted advice! As usual, great suggestions and using a combination of them did the trick. It wasn't easy, but the advise to be persistent was the main thing I think for this instance. It took some beating on with a brass hammer, but it did eventually come loose! Problem solved! :D

Back