What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RAM Holder for iPad

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I finally got the iPad holder today that I've had on order since May. RAM Mounts kept pushing back the availability date, supposedly because of mold problems in its development.

Anyway, I'm posting a mini review in the event anyone might be interested in going this route for their iPad. I had been using the knee-board holder that I suspect a lot of folks have been using, an aluminum box with a hinged top containing a spring clamp. It works well but I thought there was a better solution for my particular setup.

So I went out to the hangar this afternoon to try it out in the hangar and take a few pictures. Here are a couple of the holder:

123bpp.jpg

126pp.jpg

And this is what it looks like from the baggage compartment with a wide-angle lens:

042pp.jpg

I'll post a couple of more pictures in the next post.

Last edited:
RAM iPad Holder

So far, I'm quite satisfied with this setup. The quality of the holder is typical of RAM mounts--very good. It's plenty sturdy and looks like it will hold up well. The iPad is inserted into the bottom of the holder and then the top finger that has a small roller is pulled over the top and latches into position. I'll list the parts I used in case anyone is interested:

2 ea. Bases: p/n RAM-B-202U
1 ea. Arm: p/n RAM-B-201U-C (about 5.2" long)
1 ea. Holder: p/n RAM-HOL-AP8U

Here are a couple of panel pictures. The first picture shows the rear of the holder where it attaches to the panel:

066pp.jpg

And here a picture of the iPad stowed against the right side of the interior:

095pp.jpg

I'll post a couple of more pictures in the next post.

RAM iPad Holder

The holder arm provides for an unlimited number of adjustments/positions for the iPad. I haven't flown it yet and will probably update this review when I do, but I expect that it will work just fine. It's pretty locked in when the arm is tightened down. Also, I used an anti-glare film on my iPad which really helps in direct sunlight. I have found, however, that with the Koger shade, the iPad is entirely readable.

Here are a couple of pics taken from the pilot seat:

084pp.jpg

099pp.jpg

The holder runs about $35 and is a good value in my opinion. Highly recommended!

Hmm... That requires that your iPad be out of it's carrying case, unfortunately. I'm going to keep looking for a solution that lets me use the case I have, or at the very least has a case of its own that mates to some kind of stand. Looks nice there in the cockpit, though I would be worried about brightness out in the daylight.

Are the screens better on the ipad in sun than the iphone? If not I can't imagine trying to use one in an RV...

I have never seen one in real life so I have no idea.

Brantel,

There have been a few threads that cover in depth the screen brightness/glare and suitability of the iPad as an EFB. I'm not really trying to cover that aspect here. Just trying to give some insight for those who already have an iPad and are trying to figure out how to mount it, etc.

But since you asked: don't have an iPhone, so can't say how it compares.:confused: But I would describe the screen in direct sunlight, under the Koger shade, as adequate. I use the iPad as an imperfect EFB, if you will. I'm trying to eliminate the necessity of carrying paper charts when filing IFR, for a reasonable cost. So far, the iPad is the best compromise for me for the money. Is it perfect? Not yet, but it's a big step forward. When in IMC conditions, the glare is not an issue, and in direct sunlight, with the non-glare screen and Koger shade, as I said, adequate, not bad. That's just my opinion and obviously may not be for everyone, especially if you're looking for perfection.

Having said that, I still print out paper copies of the destination approaches as backup. I'm still hedging a bit I guess, we'll see as I gain experience with it. I wouldn't get the iPad if I were going to use it solely for VFR flying.

Hope this helps! :)

Inflight Photos of iPad

Went up flying today late in the day to try to get some glare on the iPad for some photos and also to try out the new iPad holder and mount. Here are some representative examples, some with glare and others as the sun was going down to simulate IMC conditions. Anyway, hope others will get some idea of the suitability of the iPad as an EFB.

Also here is a comparison of the iPad brightness next to the excellent screen on the MX-20 MFD.

026pp.jpg

Here is the worst of the glare I saw today:

034pp-1.jpg

Typical view in the shade from the Koger blind:

046pp.jpg

This was on final as the sun was setting behind me:

085pp.jpg

By the way, the RAM mount performed flawlessly. I am very happy with it!:D And the standard disclaimer: I have no connection with RAM or iPad, just a happy customer.

Yeah...you DEFINATELY needed more things to look at on that panel. Looked so bare without it. :p:p

Gonna get me one of those.
Thinking that I may attach it onto the panel with the suction cup mount instead of the screw-in hard mount though. Will test that out to make sure that it is reliable first.

Thanks for the tip!

Erich

Yeah...you DEFINATELY needed more things to look at on that panel. Looked so bare without it. :p:p

Yeah, I was definitely going for that "retro" look! ;) This is what happened during the short life of my RV--this was a state of the art panel back in 2002. Today it looks like an antique!

Man that is a very nice looking panel. I will always have a place in my heart for a well designed steam panel. Yours is top notch!

Yeah, I was definitely going for that "retro" look! ;) This is what happened during the short life of my RV--this was a state of the art panel back in 2002. Today it looks like an antique!

Received my RAM mount today. The thing is very light. Thank you Pat for posting the idea.

RammountforiPad.jpg

Vlad,

I think you're going to really like this rig... hope you post a picture of it mounted on your panel!

info

I am planning on ordering mine soon. The bracket seems like a good deal. What are you using for the mount bases. They come in diff sizes etc, mind if I ask what most of you are using and if you mount to flat spot on panel, or on side with longer mount and swing over infront of panel??

I know there are options, just wondered what people are using and if happy. Thanks.

Received my RAM mount today. The thing is very light. Thank you Pat for posting the idea.
I think you'll find it to be a huge nuisance to have to remove your iPad from that really nice case so you can clip it to the panel. Please let me know if you find that it can be used without removing it from the case.

Turbulence?

Hmmm... I'm just wondering when the mount is cantilevered out like it appears how it will perform in turb... Any idea yet?

Hmmm... I'm just wondering when the mount is cantilevered out like it appears how it will perform in turb... Any idea yet?

Jerry, I just got back from flying a low-level round robin this morning and it was kind of windy with a few showers around--in other words, it was bumpy. I shot a couple of approaches, practiced some holding, and shot an approach back at my home field, all without incident. The iPad holder was rock solid. The bases have a 1" ball that feel like hard rubber and when you squeeze down the arm thumb screw, it feels pretty solid. You can't move the iPad once you tighten it down. If you are still concerned about this, you might consider getting the next size base/arm which have the 1 1/2" ball. If I were to do it over, I would probably get the bigger ball anyway, but this was a carryover from a PDA that I had mounted on the same base. I included the part numbers in an earlier post, but you can substitute for the larger ball if you like. Just make sure the arm and the bases are all for the same size ball. Hope this is helpful.

suction cup

I spent a while this morning holding my Ipad in various locations in the cockpit trying to find the optimum location. There sure are a lot of moving parts to avoid and sight lines to protect! Ive decided to order the suction mount which will allow some flexability in where I end up hanging it. The other advantage is not having to drill any new holes. The question will be if it holds fast in the bumps. I've also ordered the floor mount, which has a flex shaft, as I havn't ruled out a between the seats location for mounting. Which ever doesn't pan out will become my truck mount.
Another option I'm investigating is the generic net book mount which will allow me to keep the Ipad in it's protective cover, which is a down side to the Ram Ipad specific mount.
Pictures of my final layout forthcoming

I abandoned all of the above and did this;

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/Bill_Grischo/8938bd8a.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/Bill_Grischo/4929753d.jpg

Last edited:
Bill, a couple of points. I, too, fooled around with a suction mount with the PDA, but in time it lost it's holding ability and kept falling off. This would not be good with an iPad. I would not recommend the suction cup at all.

Second, the iPad can be subject to overheating if not ventilated properly, something that would be hampered, I believe, by leaving it in a case. It is quite easy to remove from a carrying case and place in the RAM mount. Just takes a few seconds, really, and the mount allows for excellent ventilation.

Ok, looking back over the posts I see some comments about overheating in hot sun. Did this happen in, or out, of the normal carrying case? Do we have a report of overheating on the RAM mount?

If the RAM mount provides enough circulation to prevent overheating, I believe I have my answer.

Ok, looking back over the posts I see some comments about overheating in hot sun. Did this happen in, or out, of the normal carrying case? Do we have a report of overheating on the RAM mount?

If the RAM mount provides enough circulation to prevent overheating, I believe I have my answer.

I have yet to receive an overheating shutdown message with the unit in the RAM holder. However, I would get them fairly often in the aluminum knee-pad holder and in a leather carrying case if exposed to the sun. This is probably anecdotal, but it appears that I have had fewer overheating episodes since a software update a couple of months ago... is it possible that the temperature threshold was initially set too low? However, if it exists, there has been no mention of this bug in the latest software update. It would be interesting to hear others' experiences with the overheating issue.

Thanks Pat and all for providing the review and update. I received mine yesterday and mounted it, although a bit of different location and really like it. It is mounted just to the right of the fuel valve with the idea of being reachable and more readable for my eyes :) I also did have much real estate left in my panel for the mount.

I have taken some pix but don't have any way of posting them. If any one that has capability of posting pix is willing to help out, I can e-mail it to them.

Again thanks for the review and update.

Mehrdad, email pictures of your installation to me at N666BK(at)gmail.com. I will post it here.

Mehrdad, email pictures of your installation to me at N666BK(at)gmail.com. I will post it here.

Just e-mailed the pix and hope you get them OK. I appreciate helping out with pasting them here. Also just a note that this installation will work only for a single pilot which I was intending it for. With a passenger, I don't need to mount it and will have them be useful and hold it for me :)

But I want it to be within easy reach, I can even use the scratch path this way.

I would like to have second mount attached exactly at the same spot. Could you please share some details on the attachment?

I am using the exact same parts as Pat had provided( RAM-B-202U and the 5" arm). The mount is attached by three screws to the plate that covers the spar/fuel lines (I believe is F-782), using one existing screw that goes to the spar (top and nearest to the fuel valve cover) and two were added to the plate itself. I was concern that the plate (F782) not be sturdy enough but it is far more then I had expected specially that it goes to the spar. I have checked and there is no interference with the passenger stick, no issue with the GPS and hopefully it will be out of sun more as it gets covered more by my shade then on either side. I used the scratch pad of it and could write comfortably on it, and manipulating the map is very easy and reachable.
I will take a pic of the mount itself next time I am in the hanger and e-mail it to you.
Hope this helps and thanks again to all.

Little PIREP on the mount

The RAM mount was holding good till yesterday. The top piece came off when I tried to insert the gadget in it. The OAT was below freezing. Just a word of caution do not fly without top piece or a piece of velcro. A good bump will jettison your iPad to the farthest corner of the cockpit :D

mount.jpg

ramholderbroken.jpg

toppiece.jpg

Vlad, bummer and -to me - totally unexpected. I've never broken a RAM mount and I've used a lot of them. I'll heed your advice but you might write to RAM. They may rectify the problem for you.

Vlad, bummer and -to me - totally unexpected. I've never broken a RAM mount and I've used a lot of them. I'll heed your advice but you might write to RAM. They may rectify the problem for you.

They have superb customer service. By your advice I emailed them immediately and in couple minutes got an answer. It's covered under their lifetime warranty. Supplied them with address and cc # to cover $9 shipping. Thanks Glen for suggestions. Do you work for them? :D

Back