What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin / Kavlico Sensors

agent4573

Well Known Member
Doing some research on the sensor kit I'm about to install in the build. Everything Spruce sells for Garmin still lists the old kavlico part numbers for the sensors subject to leaking. Looking up the MFR model # on this page says these are the old style sensors.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garminG3X_10-05863.php

If you want the updated sensors, they're listed specifically for Dynon.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/10-07134.php

Can anyone in the know confirm Garmin is still providing the problematic sensors with their kits? I don't see any issues with putting a V2 sensor on a G3X, but can anyone confirm?

The last G3X Sensor kit we received came with the newer Oil Pressure Sensor P4055-5020-4 / 011-04202-30 even though Garmin listed it as including the older Sb'd part P4055-150G-E4A / 494-30004-00. The inventory list in the kit still listed the old sensor even though it had the newer one.

Kavlico Pressure Sensors

Doing some research on the sensor kit I'm about to install in the build. Everything Spruce sells for Garmin still lists the old kavlico part numbers for the sensors subject to leaking. Looking up the MFR model # on this page says these are the old style sensors.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garminG3X_10-05863.php

If you want the updated sensors, they're listed specifically for Dynon.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/10-07134.php

Can anyone in the know confirm Garmin is still providing the problematic sensors with their kits? I don't see any issues with putting a V2 sensor on a G3X, but can anyone confirm?

The 4 Cylinder Lycoming Sensor Kit, part number K00-00512-00, comes with a 150 PSIG Oil pressure sensor, part number 011-04202-30, which is Kavlico part number P4055-5020-4. The website link you shared does not appear to have been updated with this part number change, we will work on getting this corrected.

Thanks,

Justin

Appreciate the response. I've got a 4 cylinder sensor kit coming through a garmin distributor, but I wasn't sure if I should cancel that order and buy the individual V2 sensors. Sounds like I'll be good to go and only need an additional oil pressure sensor for the reservoir tank.

The 4 Cylinder Lycoming Sensor Kit, part number K00-00512-00, comes with a 150 PSIG Oil pressure sensor, part number 011-04202-30, which is Kavlico part number P4055-5020-4. The website link you shared does not appear to have been updated with this part number change, we will work on getting this corrected.

Thanks,

Justin

I installed a Kavlico Oil pressure sensor to interface with my G3X system in April 2013 on my RV-7A. Since then, it has accumulated nearly 800 hrs. on it. In the past 3 years, I have had ongoing issues with keeping it operable. It is mounted per plans on the manifold supplied by Vans Aircraft at nearly the highest point on the firewall. After sitting for a week or more, with battery switch on and after the G3X screen boots up, a red "X" appears in the oil pressure indication on the G3X.

If I go ahead and start the engine, the red "X" will immediately disappear and indicate around 30 psi, about 1/2 of what it should indicate. So, I shutdown the engine, remove the top cowl and then remove and replace the connector several times until I get a normal "0" pre-start indication. Then I reinstall the top cowl, start the engine and all oil pressure indications are normal and rock steady.

I have sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner. It's ok for awhile, but continues to recur, most recently, today. I ended 12 hrs. of cross-country flying a week ago, where it functioned normally. The plane is parked in a shade hangar most of the time.

Questions: Any suggestions? Is the sensor starting to fail? Does the newer version of the Kavlico oil pressure sensor have this issue?

Last edited:
I installed a Kavlico Oil pressure sensor to interface with my G3X system in April 2013 on my RV-7A. Since then, it has accumulated nearly 800 hrs. on it. In the past 3 years, I have had ongoing issues with keeping it operable. It is mounted per plans on the manifold supplied by Vans Aircraft at nearly the highest point on the firewall. After sitting for a week or more, with battery switch on and after the G3X screen boots up, a red "X" appears in the oil pressure indication on the G3X.

If I go ahead and start the engine, the red "X" will immediately disappear and indicate around 30 psi, about 1/2 of what it should indicate. So, I shutdown the engine, remove the top cowl and then remove and replace the connector several times until I get a normal "0" pre-start indication. Then I reinstall the top cowl, start the engine and all oil pressure indications are normal and rock steady.

I have sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner. It's ok for awhile, but continues to recur, most recently, today. I ended 12 hrs. of cross-country flying a week ago, where it functioned normally. The plane is parked in a shade hangar most of the time.

Questions: Any suggestions? Is the sensor starting to fail? Does the newer version of the Kavlico oil pressure sensor have this issue?

I also have the original Kavlico sensors with my Dynon EMS-D120. I have not had any problems with them, up until the morning of departure at OSH. When I started up, the oil pressure read "---" in red, as if it was full-peg maxed out. I shut down, pulled the top cowl, looked things over and found nothing amiss, and tried again. It worked fine again, and has continued to work fine since then.

Given the 'recall' advise from Dynon to replace the sensors, I called Dynon last week, and was told that they now are firmly convinced that the very few occurrences of leaking were due to over-tightened, mistreated sensors. They are no longer recommending replacement of existing sensors in the field for D-120 systems.

I guess time will tell.....

Back